ostrich Self Drive
Luxury Self Drive to Sossusvlei - Namibia
This 3 day top of the range self drive tour to Sossusvlei stays at a luxury lodge in the area. All of your meals, some of your drinks, all activities (e.g. a guided excursion to Sossusvlei and a nature drive), as well as a balloon flight are included in the package price. Ostrich can be found in shrubland and sparsely vegetated desert plains where it is possible to see their 2-toed imprints on the sand.
Little Kulala is classed as a 'luxurious desert retreat' where you will spend your first 2 nights on the Ostrich Self-Drive tour. It is situated only 17km from Sesriem, maximizing your time spent in the dunes. Some of the wind driven and star-shaped dunes reach up to 325m above the clay pan known as Sossusvlei. Nobody knows why the dunes are at their highest and therefore most spectacular when the west-flowing Tsauchab River empties itself into the vlei. On the final day, a different perspective can be experienced of the stunning dunes and vleis, from a birds' eye view of the area.
Although it is possible to book this itinerary 'as is', as with all our self drive trips this is entirely customisable. We can add or delete days, change the accommodation used and generally design the tour to suit your individual requirements. If you do not like the idea of driving yourself, a guided safari could be arranged.
- Day 1: Windhoek - Sossusvlei
- Your route to Sossusvlei takes you via the scenic Spreetshoogte Pass on the escarpment between central Namibia and the lower lying plains of the Namib Desert. Leaving Windhoek drive through the hills of the Kupferberg Pass and then on to the turn off to the Spreezhoogte (at Nauchas). Breathtaking views and a steep descent are a feature this way. Remember to allow plenty of time to reach your overnight accommodation well before dark. Expect to drive some 300kms mainly on gravel road which can take around 4 to 5hrs. The steep decline on the pass will serve as a reminder that you will need to use a different route on your return journey. An earlier departure will allow for an afternoon walk or nature drive on arrival.
Meals: Lunch & Dinner
Accommodation: Little Kulala
- Day 2: Sossusvlei
- A gentle morning call before sunrise is followed with tea and coffee before heading out in a guided lodge vehicle towards the dunes. Their private entrance allows you to enter the park at sunrise. Sossusvlei is not a collection of dunes and vleis but a distinct vlei, located at the end of the ephemeral Tsauchab River. Giant sand dunes do tower on 3 sides though. Time is set aside to explore the area including Deadvlei and Hiddenvlei, the later appropriately tucked away out of sight behind a dune. Back at your vehicle your guide has laid out brunch under a large shady camelthorn tree. Afterwards you will head back to the lodge with a visit to Sesriem Canyon possible if desired.
In the afternoon you are welcome to join a nature drive (or other activity) on the Kulala property. Look forward to a scrumptious dinner and a spot of stargazing later.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
Accommodation: Little Kulala
- Day 3: Sossusvlei - Windhoek
- This morning you are collected from the lodge to join balloon flight over the Namib Desert. Drift over the dunes for around 1hr followed by a champagne breakfast, held wherever the balloon lands. On your return to the lodge it is time to transfer to your own vehicle and head back to Windhoek via the Remhootge Pass.
- All your meals and activities as specified.
A welcome pack including maps and vouchers for the places that you'll be visiting.
See the individual lodges for precise inclusions & exclusions
A 24 hour emergency assistance phone number
- Vehicle & Fuel
Park entrance fees (these need to be paid on arrival).
Tips and gratuities (which are optional).
Any meals or activities not specified.
See the individual lodges for detailed inclusions & exclusions.
- Although we have excluded the cost of renting a vehicle from the quoted rate we are happy to advise you on the best possible vehicle and arrange a rental for you. For an idea of what is available have a look at our car hire in Namibia section
3 Days - A Sossusvlei trip including guided nature drives & visits to the dunes as well as a balloon safari
3 Days - NamibRand Nature Reserve is one of the most beautiful desert areas in Namibia - this fully inclusive trip visits this scenic area
3 Days - Swakopmund on the Namibian coast is the destination of this self drive tour
4 Days - Etosha & Ongava reserve offer excellent wildlife viewing
12 Days - Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Damaraland, Etosha & Ongava Reserves, Okonjima