oryx Self Drive
Comfortable mid-range Self Drive to Sossusvlei - Namibia
The Oryx 3 day self-drive trip departs from Windhoek with 2 nights at a lodge in the vicinity of Sossusvlei in the Namib Desert - allowing you a full day to explore the dune fields. The accommodation used on this safari is a comfortable mid range lodge. Oryx (gemsbok) are found all over Namibia and have the ability to tolerate arid areas uninhabitable to most other antelope. They feed on grass, flowers, leaves and the fruit of acacias, buffalo-thorn and shepherd's tree.
Sossusvlei is remarkable for its huge red sand dunes and breathtaking scenery. The views from the top are stunning. Colours vary from apricot to orange and from red to maroon, especially at sunrise and sunset, the best times for photography. Desert wildlife includes springbok, oryx and ostrich.
Although it is possible to book this itinerary 'as is', as with all our self drive trips this is entirely customisable. We can add or delete days, change the accommodation used and generally design the tour to suit your individual requirements. Visitors who might prefer a break from driving themselves can arrange a guided safari.
- Day 1: Windhoek - Sossusvlei
- As your first leg today is around 300kms, there is time for a hearty breakfast before you hit the road. The majority of your journey will be on unsealed gravel roads of around 5hrs duration, not including stops, for the outward route to the dunes we suggest driving via the Spreetshoogte Pass, the steepest mountain pass in Namibia, it is well worth the adventure
Be sure to arrive at your accommodation before nightfall, driving at dark on Namibian roads is not recommended as the country is full of suicidal creatures likely to hop in front of your car at short notice (and some of these are really big - and likely to do more damage to you and your car than to themselves)
Accommodation: Desert Homestead
- Day 2: Sossusvlei
- Best to be up and about very early to head for the Sesriem entrance gate to the Namib Naukluft Park. The entrance opens at sunrise but the 60km drive from here through to the dunes towards Sossusvlei as the sun rises is breathtaking. On the drive look out for the early morning light on the slip face of Pyramid Dune (the feature before Dune 45). Afterwards either climb Dune 45 or carry on to the 2x4 car park. Take a shuttle (there and back if you want), drive or walk 4kms along the dry river bed into the clay pan know as Sossusvlei.
You can also walk up and over a dune to Deadvlei, an eerie pan of cracked white clay featuring a scattering of cadaverous camelthorn trees guarded by towering red dunes. The endlessness of the desert is best demonstrated here, captured thousands of times every year by a constant flow of expectant photographers, professional and amateur alike. On your return journey stop for a stroll down Sesriem Canyon followed by a desert sundowner at the lodge.
Meals: Breakfast & Dinner
Accommodation: Desert Homestead
- Day 3: Sossusvlei - Windhoek
- If you are looking for a spectacular way to end your trip you should consider joining a balloon flight over Sossusvlei this morning.
Then head back to Windhoek through the Gaub and Gemsberg Passes on use the shorter route via the scenic Remhoogte Pass.
- All your meals and activities as specified.
A welcome pack including maps and vouchers for the places that you'll be visiting.
See the individual lodges for precise inclusions & exclusions
A 24 hour emergency assistance phone number
- Vehicle & Fuel
Park entrance fees (these need to be paid on arrival).
Tips and gratuities (which are optional).
Any meals or activities not specified.
See the individual lodges for detailed inclusions & exclusions.
- Although we have excluded the cost of renting a vehicle from the quoted rate we are happy to advise you on the best possible vehicle and arrange a rental for you. For an idea of what is available have a look at our car hire in Namibia section
3 Days - A self drive trip to the dunes at Sossusvlei
3 Days - Two nights in the coastal town of Swakopmund, this is the ideal get-away for those living or working in Windhoek. Includes a catamaran cruise on the Walvis Lagoon
4 Days - Elephants, rhino, zebra & giraffe are just some of the animals you can expect to see while you are in Etosha
8 Days - Etosha, Swakopmund & the dunes at Sossusvlei are the highlights of this trip
8 Days - Etosha, Erongo Mountains and Sossusvlei
10 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei
10 Days - Botswana & Namibia combination self drive - includes Etosha Park and a mokoro trip in the Okavango Delta
12 Days - Okonjima Bush Camp, Etosha, Damaraland, Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund & Sossusvlei
14 Days - Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus & Kalahari Desert
20 Days - Visits all the best Namibia has to offer including Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, elephant tracking, the Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus Vista, Fish River Canyon & Kalahari Deserts
21 Days - Visits the highlights of Central and Northern Namibia, the Zambezi region (formerly Caprivi), Vic Falls & the Okavango Delta in Botswana
24 Days - As you would expect from our longest self drive safari, it visits most of Namibia including Owamboland & Kaokoland - two areas which seldom appear on trips through the country