Dolphin Self Drive
Mid Range Self Drive to Swakopmund - Namibia
This short 3 day self-driven excursion from Windhoek to Swakopmund is the ideal get-away for those living or working in Windhoek. The coastline of Namibia is noted for its extreme conditions. The cold Benguela current of the Atlantic Ocean meets the hot Namib Desert here which in turn attracts a variety of sea mammals including dolphin. They are very sociable animals and can be found in large schools in the area, best visited on a dolphin cruise from Walvis Bay.
Swakopmund is great for a weekend break. Surrounded by sea and sand, adrenalin junkies, adventure seekers and those just wanting to relax love it here! Sand boarding, canoeing, quad biking and hot-air ballooning are amongst the exciting activities available. Relax after your adventure with coffee and cake in the Hotel Schweizerhaus's Cafe Anton, only a few minutes from the city centre.
Although it is possible to book this itinerary 'as is', as with all our self drive trips this is entirely customisable. We can add or delete days, change the accommodation used and generally design the tour to suit your individual requirements. If you do not like the idea of driving yourself, a guided safari could be arranged.
- Day 1: Windhoek - Swakopmund
The main route from Windhoek to Swakopmund is around 350km's and takes approxiamately 3.5hrs drive on a decent tarred road. The towns en-route have shops and filling stations. You could try a more adventurous path though, which takes in 2 routes through the Khomas Hochland Mountains. One way is via the Bosua Pass which goes through part of the scenic Namib Naukluft Park. The other is to head through the Gamsberg and Kuiseb Passes which once again offer a truly wonderful drive. Duration time for both routes is around 7hrs including stops. Once you arrive and check into your accommodation you can look forward to a drink or two, dinner and a night in Swakopmund.
Accommodation: Namib Guesthouse
- Day 2: Swakopmund
- There is plenty to do to occupy yourself while in Swakopmund. Adventure activities range from sandboarding to quadbiking and scenic flights, these can be pre-arranged when you book this itinerary or left for you to arrange on arrival is Swakopmund. Another excellent option is to head out into the desert on the Welwitschia drive - you do require a permit which can be obtained from the Ministry of Environment & Tourism offices in Swakopmund. Or you might like to spend the day admiring the quant architecture, walk along the beach, find a suitable cafe or bistro or generally relax in the pleasant Swakopmund atmosphere.
Accommodation: Namib Guesthouse
- Day 3: Swakopmund - Windhoek
- A short 30km drive follows breakfast down to Walvis Bay. You will be joining a catamaran cruise around the lagoon. Heaviside dolphins and Cape fur seals often swim alongside the boat. Pelicans, cormorants, flamingoes and seagulls fly above as you enjoy a glass of wine and oysters. Endless opportunities to photograph the marine and birdlife abound on your voyage. After lunch you can drive back to Windhoek.
- All your meals and activities as specified.
A welcome pack including maps and vouchers for the places that you'll be visiting.
See the individual lodges for precise inclusions & exclusions
A 24 hour emergency assistance phone number
- Vehicle & Fuel
Park entrance fees (these need to be paid on arrival).
Tips and gratuities (which are optional).
Any meals or activities not specified.
See the individual lodges for detailed inclusions & exclusions.
- Although we have excluded the cost of renting a vehicle from the quoted rate we are happy to advise you on the best possible vehicle and arrange a rental for you. For an idea of what is available have a look at our car hire in Namibia section
3 Days - A self drive trip to the dunes at Sossusvlei
3 Days - Two nights in the coastal town of Swakopmund, this is the ideal get-away for those living or working in Windhoek. Includes a catamaran cruise on the Walvis Lagoon
4 Days - Elephants, rhino, zebra & giraffe are just some of the animals you can expect to see while you are in Etosha
8 Days - Etosha, Swakopmund & the dunes at Sossusvlei are the highlights of this trip
8 Days - Etosha, Erongo Mountains and Sossusvlei
10 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei
10 Days - Botswana & Namibia combination self drive - includes Etosha Park and a mokoro trip in the Okavango Delta
12 Days - Okonjima Bush Camp, Etosha, Damaraland, Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund & Sossusvlei
14 Days - Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus & Kalahari Desert
20 Days - Visits all the best Namibia has to offer including Okonjima, Etosha, Damaraland, elephant tracking, the Erongo Mountains, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Klein Aus Vista, Fish River Canyon & Kalahari Deserts
21 Days - Visits the highlights of Central and Northern Namibia, the Zambezi region (formerly Caprivi), Vic Falls & the Okavango Delta in Botswana
24 Days - As you would expect from our longest self drive safari, it visits most of Namibia including Owamboland & Kaokoland - two areas which seldom appear on trips through the country