Namibian Tiger Beetle Self Drive
Camping Self Drive to Etosha - Namibia
This short 4 day self-drive tour starts and ends in Windhoek and visits the Etosha National Park - which is famous for excellent game viewing. Etosha, meaning 'Great White Place', is dominated by a massive mineral pan. Temporary water in the pan attracts thousands of wading birds including impressive flocks of flamingos. The perennial springs and waterholes along the edges draw large concentrations of wildlife and birds.
You will spend 3 nights camping within the park boundaries allowing maximum game viewing and drives. Monster tiger beetles are very large, dark brown, flightless insects, with unmistakable enormous mandibles. So shake out your boots in the morning!
You will need to provide your own camping equipment for this trip as it is not included in the quote and can not be rented at the campsite - if you require we can assist in making arrangements for the rental of suitable equipment.
While it is possible to book this itinerary 'as is', all our self drive safaris are customisable, we can add or delete days, change the accommodation used and generally design the tour to suit your individual requirements. If you do not like the idea of driving yourself the itinerary could easily be used as the basis for a guided safari.
- Day 1: Windhoek - Etosha Park
- Leave Windhoek early this morning as you have a 530km drive to Namutoni. Your route takes you due north via the towns of Okahandja, Otjiwarongo, Otavi and Tsumeb. Otjikoto Lake, just north of Tsumeb, is a popular lunch stop, or you could decide to enter the park via the Von Lindequist gate as soon as possible. Either way enter well-before sunset to avoid the possibility of a fine or a sleepover in your vehicle in the company of curious and hungry visitors. Once inside the park the wildlife action begins and you should have time for a game drive before sunset.
- Day 2 & 3: Etosha Park
- Decamp early and commence your game drive as soon as the gates open at sunrise. The gravel roads are usually in a decent condition, an advantage as you head from waterhole to waterhole in search of mammals all the way west to Okaukuejo. Your lunch stop will depend on your wildlife sightings and on the time you decide to wait for the animals to come to you. Any main camp will suffice but Halali is favourite as it is half-way.
Your choice to stay 2 nights at Okaukuejo is a great one. The waterhole is floodlit at night and during the dry season is one of the most productive and exciting in Etosha NP. There is no better way to spend an evening in Etosha than with the regular sightings of elephant, lion, rhino, hyena and plethora of plains game associated with the park.
During the day you check the sightings book in the main office before you leave for a safari. Plan your drives accordingly. Nebrownii often offers regular sightings of lion, hyena, rhino and elephants.
Campsite: Okaukuejo Campsite
- Day 4: Etosha Park - Windhoek
- Pack up for a last game drive around the the park. Just before you get to Ombika there are a couple of loops left and right off the road you could explore. Return to Windhoek via Outjo and Otjiwarongo on you way to Okahandja. If you can take wood carvings back to your country then stop here to buy souvenirs and gifts. The town is an important centre for woodcarvers from the north, run by the Rundu based Namibian Carvers Association.
- All your meals and activities as specified.
A welcome pack including maps and vouchers for the places that you'll be visiting.
See the individual lodges for precise inclusions & exclusions
A 24 hour emergency assistance phone number
- Vehicle & Fuel
Park entrance fees (these need to be paid on arrival).
Tips and gratuities (which are optional).
Any meals or activities not specified.
See the individual lodges for detailed inclusions & exclusions.
- Although we have excluded the cost of renting a vehicle from the quoted rate we are happy to advise you on the best possible vehicle and arrange a rental for you. For an idea of what is available have a look at our car hire in Namibia section
3 Days - Visits Sesriem & Sossusvlei in the Namib Desert
4 Days - Game viewing in Etosha National Park
10 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund & Sossusvlei
14 Days - Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Lüderitz, Fish River Canyon & Kalahari Desert
20 Days - Visits Namibia, Vic Falls & Botswana