Caprivi HouseBoat Safaris
Explore the Zambezi & Chobe Rivers
Caprivi House Boat Safaris offers the ideal opportunity to cruise 2 of the most famous rivers in Africa; the Zambezi and the Chobe. The former forms a 130km border between Namibia and Zambia. The latter meanders eastwards through the magnificent Chobe National Park to join the Zambezi River at Kazungula.
This unique floating safari will present all the fascinating array of fauna and flora the region has to offer. Drifting down these mighty rivers is the consummate route to a myriad of floodplains, riverine forests and breathtaking sunsets. There is no better way to end a magical boat trip than to relax around the warmth of a campfire on a secluded (and safe) sandbank.
Caprivi Houseboats offer overnight boating safaris on 2 x 7.5m aluminum Outback Safari Boats. These are water-borne 4x4 vehicles powered by 75hp outboard engines. Up to a maximum of 6 guests can be accommodated in each houseboats (although not more than 4 adults is recommended).
This is the ideal excursion for those with an adventurous spirit - who want to get off the beaten track and explore. Each boat comes with an experienced skipper - who will keep you pointed in the right direction, suggest suitable mooring / camping areas (often of sandbanks in the river) and even help out around the camp. Although the accommodation is comfortable it is simple and certainly not luxurious and you are expected to get stuck in with many of the day to day chores of setting up camp, cooking etc.
The beauty of this trips is that visitors can choose their own route, including overnight accommodation at Caprivi Houseboat Lodge itself. Current and onward destinations as well as specific interests are taken into account. For example a 2 to 4 night river safari can be incorporated into your existing itinerary with the opportunity to substitute a section of road travel for one by houseboat. Specialized activities such as fishing, birdwatching and game viewing can also be included into your route.
- The Zambezi Stopover:
- Depart from the Caprivi Houseboat Lodge and enjoy spectacular views along the Zambezi River, cruising up to 60km downstream, offering magnificent birding and angling opportunities. Game viewing is usually limited to hippo, crocs and the occasional elephant drinking on the riverbank. Return back to the lodge at the end of the trip.
Option 1: A night's accommodation at the lodge with 2 nights camping on a houseboat.
Option 2: A couple of nights camping on the houseboat.
- The Zambezi Chobe Combo:
- Depart from the lodge and cruise 80km down the Zambezi River to set up camp for the night on a secluded sandbank. Continue down the Zambezi the following morning to the Kassaii Channel, the confluence of the Zambezi and Chobe Rivers, entering the Chobe River at Impalila Island. The voyage continues upstream for a further 30km for 2 nights camp overlooking the Chobe National Park. Depart Kasane Immigration in Botswana. This itinerary offers excellent angling, birding and game viewing.
- The Chobe Classic:
- Pick up and drop off at Kasane Immigration in Botswana. Cruise the Chobe River for 30km, camping overlooking the Chobe National Park. Game viewing on the river gives a new dimension to wildlife activity as animals allow you to come closer. Expect to see elephant, buffalo, giraffe, sable, hippo and crocs as well as numerous species of bird. Angling opportunities are limited on this itinerary.
- supply your own groceries, beverages and prepare all meals.
- Assisted self-catering:
- All necessary foodstuff is provided with a guideline menu. Meals are all prepared by the yourself but the skipper will assist with the cooking duties when possible.
- A skipper who will assist with setting up camp.
- 2 x rooftops tents
- 1 x lower deck bunk bed
- Dining area
- Kitchenette: 12V fridge and gas stove, cooking utensils, cutlery, camping chairs and table, cooler boxes and ice.
- Shower and toilet
- Sleeping bags, cushions, fleece blankets and towels
- Wood, fire-lighters, matches and cleaning materials
- Lighting and oil lamps
- Basic medical kit
- Optional: Angling tackle