Includes: Scenic Flight & Ground Trip to Sossusvlei - Namibia
The Sossusvlei Excursion is one of the most popular scenic flights. Your flight is in a light aircraft that takes off and lands from Swakopmund airfield, flying over the Namib Desert, passing the Walvis Bay Airport to the Kuiseb river. The low-level flying continues all the way along the Kuiseb River onto the Desert Ecological Research Unit, Gobabeb, founded in 1959, passing Tsondabvlei, towards Sesriem and it's Canyon, and on Sossusvlei. Landing at Sesriem, you will be driven in a 4x4 vehicle to:
- The highest shifting sand dunes in the world at Sossusvlei.
- No part of the Namib Desert is visually more stunning than Sossusvlei.
- The warm tints of the sand range from pale apricot to brick orange and deep red, vividly contrasting with the large white clay pans at some of their bases.
- Admire, climb and photograph the scenery and enjoy refreshments in the shade of a camelthorn tree.
- The remains of three old diamond camps.
- Crossing the coastline at Conception Bay,
- Passing: Colonies of Cape Fur seals.The shipwreck of the passenger liner 'Eduard Bohlen' stranded in 1909. She lies 250m away from the shore. Another shipwreck, the 'Shaunee' stranded in 1976.
The flight continues along the coast with the Atlantic surf on the one side and the 'long wall' (Namib Dunes) on the other, until reaching Sandwich Harbour, a wetland of international importance and protected by the Ramsar Convention. The highest recorded density of lesser and greater flamingo's was recorded at low tide with 7,791 birds/km.
In harmony with the surroundings you find:
- Namibia's coastal salt mines, south of Walvis Bay, attracting thousands of birds.
- Walvis Bay, the region's principal port and a former enclave to South Africa, the next destination.
- Midway between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund, you pass the Langstrand Holiday Resort and the Dolphin Park Recreation Resort, on your way back to Swakopmund airfield.
Flight Time = Day Trip
Distance = 630km
- Mode of transport
- Light Air-Craft
- Number Of Participants
- Maximum of 5
landing fees & parking fees
refreshments on board
ISOS Cover per passenger..
costs which may occur as a result of having to divert to an alternate airfield, due to adverse weather, or reasons which may effect the safety of our passengers.
- Conditions: The company accepts no responsibility for any delays caused by unforeseen circumstances, mechanical breakdowns, diversions or cancellations due to adverse weather or circumstances beyond our control.
This quotation is linked to the N$ / US$ exchange rate and an escalation may influence the quoted price.
ISOS Cover - Passengers will be covered for the duration of the entire flight. The cover only includes medical emergencies arising from direct trauma (eg. an accident), and passengers will not be covered for pre-existing medical conditions.