Ultimate South Flight
Includes: Scenic Flight & Fish River Stopover - Namibia
This particular Ultimate South Flight has a stopover near the Fish River Canyon, and your early morning flight takes off and lands at the Atlantic coastal town of Swakopmund. It first flies over the Kuiseb River, on the way to Sossusvlei, with the highest shifting sand dunes in the world. From Sossusvlei the flight heads over the 2,000m high dolomitic Naukluft Mountains, passed the extinct Brukaros Volcano to Keetmanshoop to refuel. From Keetmanshoop there is a low-level flight to the Fish River Canyon, over-flying the Fish River by zig-zagging along it's course, before stopping at Canyon Lodge.
Canon Lodge is situated on the 520 km², privately owned Gondwana Canyon Park. It is only 20km from the main viewpoint of Fish River Canyon, and promises an opportunity to experience one of the world's most spectacular natural formations. You will be driven in a 4x4 vehicle to the different viewpoints overlooking the canyon, to soak up this unique landscape with it's impressive rock formations and clusters of quiver trees. After this very interesting tour, there is a drive back to the lodge for lunch. Afterwards the flight continues via the canyon up to Ai-Ais.
The flight path then heads for the Diamond Restricted Area, and directly to Lüderitz Bucht. The sheer isolation of the town and distinctly German colonial architecture, give it a historic charm. After passing over Lüderitz, it's along the 'Forbidden Coast,' passing the shipwrecks of:
- Otavi (1945) at Spencer Bay.
- Meob Bay.
- Conception Bay and the shipwreck Eduard Bohlen, (1909) that lays approximately 250m inland.
- Further up the coast is the Shaunee. (1976.)
Further into the flight, on the coastline with the Atlantic surf on the one side, and the 'long wall' (Namib Dunes) on the other, before reaching Sandwich Harbour, a wetland of international importance and protected by the RAMSAR Convention. The highest recorded density of lesser and greater flamingo's was recorded at low tide with 7,791 birds/km.
In harmony with the surroundings you find:
- Namibia's coastal salt mines, south of Walvis Bay, attracting thousands of birds.
- Walvis Bay, Namibia's major harbour town and a former enclave to South Africa, which was incorporated into Namibia on March 1, 1994 is our next destination.
- Midway between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund we pass the Langstrand Holiday Resort and the Dolphin Park Recreation Resort before landing at Swakopmund airfield.
Distance = 1570km
Stopover = Canyon Lodge
- Mode of transport
- Light Air-Craft
- Number Of Participants
- Maximum of 5
landing fees & parking fees
refreshments on board
ISOS Cover per passenger..
costs which may occur as a result of having to divert to an alternate airfield, due to adverse weather, or reasons which may effect the safety of our passengers.
- Conditions: The company accepts no responsibility for any delays caused by unforeseen circumstances, mechanical breakdowns, diversions or cancellations due to adverse weather or circumstances beyond our control.
This quotation is linked to the N$ / US$ exchange rate and an escalation may influence the quoted price.
ISOS Cover - Passengers will be covered for the duration of the entire flight. The cover only includes medical emergencies arising from direct trauma (eg. an accident), and passengers will not be covered for pre-existing medical conditions.