Sossus Dune Lodge
Sossusvlei - Namibia
Sossus Dune Lodge lies just 4km from the Sesriem gate, at the base of a mountain. There are magnificent views of the distant dunes to the west. It is the first, and currently only, lodge to be built in the Namib-Naukluft National Park. Guests can walk directly from the lodge into the nearby Sesriem Canyon,
The main central areas of Sossus Dune Lodge are raised on wooden decking. There is a small reception room, large open-plan restaurant with separate lounge/bar areas, all fitted with large sliding doors. There is also a swimming pool, with a few lazy-loungers, but guests should bring suntan lotion, as the pool area is not shaded. Self-drive vehicles are parked in a shaded parking area, and guests are transferred by electric golf cart!
Each of the 25 Sossus Dune Lodge chalets has been erected using a wooden frame with orange/yellow canvas for walls, capped with a thatched roof. They are loosely modelled on traditional Ovambo homes.
- Dune Chalet: Dune Chalets to the left of the main area have dune views. The chalets sited to the right of the main area present mountain/canyon views. Each chalet is linked by raised wooden walkways constructed from local rock and stone. A large en-suite bathroom complete with a hot shower, double basin and a flush toilet, twin beds, brightly-coloured mosquito nets, solar powered lights and fans, with complementary and environmentally friendly soaps, shampoo, body lotion etc. are standard. Leather and dark wood furniture complimented with suede loungers complete the furnishings. Superb views of the surrounding desert are obtained through frontal floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Open the top of the glass windows to generate additional air flow through the chalet. Step outside onto a large verandah.
- Honeymoon Chalet: The last chalet on either side of the main lodge is a 'honeymoon suite,' which have an additional small open-air lounge. The views, facilities and furnishings are similar to the Dune Chalets.
Guests benefit from staying at Sossus Dune Lodge, because as it is situated within the park, they will be able to reach Sossusvlei before sunrise, and stay until after sunset. Activities include a Sossusvlei sunset drive, guided nature drive, and a guided after-dinner stargazing stroll! Guided walks to the Sesriem Canyon can also be organized here.
Sossus Dune Lodge is an ideal destination to admire and photograph the stunning scenery of the Naukluft Park's high red/orange sand dunes.
Children of all ages are welcome at this lodge.
- Guided Sossusvlei Trip
- An early start on your guided trip from the lodge to the dunes at Sossusvlei enables you to climb Big Daddy and walk around Dead Vlei before anyone else arrives. Getting there before the rush is a huge advantage that the location of this lodge offers.
- Sesriem Canyon
- As the canyon in not far from the lodge it is possible to walk there. The canyon is an interesting add-on to your Sossusvlei trip.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Lovely rooms with rooftop terraces or a choice of campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both larger groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
A new addition on the same property as the Desert Homestead. Hiking & riding are popular activities here
Well equipped rooms with self catering kitchens only 5 kilometers from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Kitchen utensils can be rented on site
These rustic wooden cabins can only be reached as part of a guided walking trail originating at Namib Desert Lodge. perfect for those wanting to explore the desert on foot
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
This campsite offer the closest place to stay to the dunes - camping only
A combination of permanent structures and canvas make this an interesting choice for the budget conscious traveller
The only lodge inside the borders of the national park. Allows for extra early visits to the Sossusvlei dunes
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and top of the range guiding
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private veranda's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.