White House Guest Farm
Grunau - Namibia
This beautiful house, built between 1912 and 1915, is situated on a 15,000 hectare sheep farm in the far south of Namibia. The White House Guest Farm is situated 125km from the Ai-Ais Hot-Springs, and 115Km from the Fish River Canyon. It is often used as a base to make a day-trip to one or either of these two places.
The lodge serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and braai packs are available for self-caterers. Wood and a grid are also available. Self-catering is welcomed but they are well-known for their delicious home-cooked meals. The White House's main claim to fame is 'The best lamb in the world.'
Power is from a mains supply (220v), so travellers have the opportunity to charge up their electrical appliances, before disappearing into the desert, on the river or into the bush.
Overnight in main house accommodation or in outside chalets:
- Double Rooms: 5 Double Rooms are in the main building. 4 of them have a double bed and 2 single beds. The other, a small room, has 2 single beds. All rooms are equipped with a fan and a heater, own bathroom, well-stocked mini-bar and fridge, bedding, towels, cutlery, toaster, kettle, tea/coffee station.
- Chalets: 2 outside chalets have a double bed and 2 bunk-beds. The other chalet has 2 single beds. The facilities are similar to the rooms in the main building.
Activities include game drives, (see springbok and gemsbok close up) and bird watching. (There are over 50 different species flying around here.)
Lithops grow here in the very dry desert climate. Their stems are buried in the stony dry earth and only the tips are visible. Most Lithops have intricately patterned tips to the leaves, which make them look like stones. 'Living stones' is the common name for Lithops.
Lovers of semi-precious stones should visit the Rose-Quartz Mine.
The White House is an affordable, convenient, halfway stopover between Cape Town and Windhoek.
- Bird Viewing
- For bird lovers there are 50 plus different species. Watch these near drinking place or in the open veldt
- Night Drive
- Take our night drive to see the nocturnal animals of the area .
- Lithops and other succulents
- Lithops grow in very dry desert areas with the stems buried in the stony dry earth and only the tips of the stems are visible. Most Lithops have intricately patterned tips to the leaves which make them look like stones, this why they have the common name of living stones. The White House Guest Farm has the "Mickberg-gensis" which is a sub species of the Karas Montana.
- Game Drive
- See Springbok and Gemsbok close up
- Rose-Quartz mine
- If you are interested in semi-precious stones then you must visit the Rose-Quartz mine
Cabana's and permanently erected tents on the banks of the Orange River. This camp also serves as the starting base for several river rafting & canoeing adventures
An owner run lodge, set in a scenic and mountainous area, just off the main road between Keetmanshoop & Grunau. Comfortable well equipped rooms are complimented by game drives (including night drives) on the large farm
Nestled in the great valley of the Karas region and situated on the banks of the Orange River, about 50km from the South African / Namibia border post
The Orange River Lodge is situated near Noordoewer on the border between South Africa and Namibia
A small lodge set on the third biggest game reserve in Namibia. Expect tranquility and a very personalised service in a remote environment
Not quite Washington DC! This remote accommodation is basic but extremely popular with those looking for good honest accommodation.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.