Damaraland - Namibia
Vingerklip Lodge nestles in a valley and offers a prime location to visit the Finger of Stone. Vingerklip (Finger Rock) is a 35m high pillar of sedimentary rock and is one of the most dramatic rock formations in the country and stands proudly above the Ugab terraces. The lodge is also an excellent stopover to explore other attractions of Damaraland, a vast beautiful wilderness in north-west Namibia, including Etosha National Park and Swakopmund.
The lodge has been built with traditional African materials such as wood, stone and thatch. Wine and dine in the restaurant/bar or coffee bar. Gourmet cuisine complemented by fine wines and locally brewed beer are served at indoor or outdoor dining areas. Enjoy a drink on the sundowner deck before moving on to the open fireplace later. Relax and unwind in the jacuzzi or challenge a fellow traveller to a game of pool. Locally made arts and crafts make lovely souvenirs or gifts and can be purchased from the small curio shop. Take dip in the plunge pool and chill on a sun-lounger afterwards.
Guests at Vingerklip have the option of exchanging their evening meal at the lodge for dinner at Eagles Nest Restaurant. The atmosphere and views from here are simply breathtaking. Traditional African cuisine is served on the Ugab Terrace, a 10min walk away. Booking is essential as places are set at a maximum of 20. The path up is not recommended for guests with walking difficulties and remember to have your night-cap in the bar below!
Power is supplied from a generator throughout the day. During silent hours batteries offer a limited amount of energy for lights etc.
Accommodation at Vingerklip Lodge is in well-appointed, thatched bungalows, spread out along a hillside:
- Bungalows: 20 bungalows are equipped with en-suite bathrooms, a fan, mosquito nets and an in-room safe. A sheltered sundowner veranda has breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside, the ideal setting to watch the magnificent Namibian sun set.
- Family bungalows: 5 of the bungalows are suitable for family-style holidays. The loft in each unit is suitable accommodation for 2 children.
- Luxury units: There are 2 luxury units with similar facilities to the bungalows with the addition of small kitchen.
- Heaven's Gate Suite: This exclusive and secluded hideaway is set on top of the Ugab Terraces. It is only accessible via a short mountain walkway, followed by a 25m climb up a metal staircase. (Guests with no head for heights or serious walking difficulties should take note.) The Eagles Nest Restaurant is nearby on the same terrace. Breakfast and dinner are delivered and a peaceful night's sleep is guaranteed. The spectacular landscape provides the ideal setting to 'get away from it all.'
There is plenty of game and bird species in the area. Attractions include the Petrified Forest, where antediluvian flood, deposited giant tree trunks and Twyfelfontein, with it's renowned San art engravings. Nature drives, guided walks, sundowner trips and day trips to an authentic Himba village, can also be arranged.
Vingerklip Lodge. A pleasant and relaxed atmosphere, to explore Damaraland
- Nature drives
- Vingerklip walk and Vingerklip extension
- a short or longer hike (if you decide to take the extension) to the Vingerklip (Rock finger). The shorter trail takes you directly from the Lodge to the Vingerklip. This is usually a guided walk on which the guide talks about the area and departs from the reception area at 7am, but this walk can be done any time of the day if you would like to do it by yourself and takes about an hour to complete. The extension of this walk takes you around the North terrace and then to the Vingerklip, this takes about 2 hours to complete.
- South Terrace hike
- this trail is for those who enjoy geology and takes you on a trip around the South Terrace where you can see the spectacular way these terraces have been formed. On your walk there is a small detour which you can take to our View Point to see the lovely scenery which is unique to this area. This trail takes about one and a half hours to complete.
- Joint Terrace hike
- a trail for people who want a longer walk, this combines two of our trails which takes you around South Terrace, then about halfway along the trail there is a path that joins the extension of the Vingerklip walk, going around the North Terrace and then to the Vingerklip taking you back to the Lodge. This hike takes about 3 and a half hours to complete.
- Ugab Hike
- This is a trail for more serious hikers without a fear of heights. It takes you up on top of the Ugab Terraces. This is a guided walk only as the way up is not always easy to find due to rain and animals destroying the pathways. It takes about 2 to 3 hours to complete, depending on the path conditions.
- Hanko Hike
- A five hour hike for nature lovers and adventurers taking us into areas not much explored. This hike requires a guide and can not be done on your own as there are no markings and the area quite wild. It takes us onto ancient lime mountains where apparently fossilized snakes were found in times gone by
- Himba Village tour
- (Min. 2 pax, Max. 7 pax) - needs to be pre booked ) - This is a day trip taking us to a Himba village. The particular village which we visit is actually a type of Himba orphanage, by Himbas for Himbas, the first of its kind in Namibia
- Bushman Art
- A 2 hour trip to a nearby farm taking us to see some remarkably well preserved rock art, as well as beautiful scenery. The farmer then accompanies us and tells us about farm life as well as explains his view on the art.
- (Min. 2 pax, Max. 7 pax) - needs to be pre booked ) Day trips to the rock art at Twyfelfontein can be arranged.
This small lodge is located between Outjo and Khorixas - it was one of the first guest farms opened in Namibia
Situated in the tiny town of Uis, this lodge acts as a gateway to the Brandberg Mountain and other parts of the Erongo Region. The owner, Basil, is a bastion of the local community and a font of knowledge on the area
We are absolutely convinced that this is where Nelly the Elephant decided to live, after deciding to run away from the circus! A bit run down - but in an excellent location
Small private lodge consisting of thatched domed bungalows scattered amongst large granite boulders. It is well situated near Twyfelfontein and several other major Damaraland attractions
This camp was started by Wilderness Safaris and is now managed by the local community. Expect luxury, desert elephants and rhino
Named after the abundant Mopane Trees found in the area, Damara Mopane Lodge is part of a well established lodge group, known for quality lodges at reasonable prices. Only 20km from Khorixas and within driving distance of the highlights of the area
A good quality lodge located close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Excursions to the engravings and in search of desert adapted elephant are available
Situated in the town of Khorixas, this lodge may not have the most scenic setting but offers reasonable accommodation at good prices
A fairly basic establishment just outside the town of Khorixas
Private campsites in a beautiful setting
One of the most luxurious lodges in the area - accommodation is in luxury tents or more 'solid' suites.
As the name implies this is situated close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. A good quality lodge with reasonable rates.
Close to the Vingerklip rock formation and offering exciting views of the Ugab Plains
The Vingerklip is a 35m high finger like rock structure - this popular and well equipped lodge has two swimming pools and apart from being close to Vingerklip is in close proximity to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and other wonders of Damaraland
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.