Twyfelfontein Country Lodge
Damaraland - Namibia
The large Twyfelfontein Country Lodge enjoys a mountainous backdrop. It offers a value for money stopover for those interested in viewing rock engravings close by, as the UNESCO World Heritage Site is only 4kms away. The location and picturesque setting is in an area that boasts some of the best examples of bushman engravings in Southern Africa. Other attractions of Damaraland can be viewed on day trips from the lodge.
The lodge is a joint venture with the Twyfelfontein-Uibasen Conservancy, an undertaking with the local community, who benefit from tourism in the area. At the same time, they become more accustomed and aware of the importance of protecting both wildlife and the immediate environment.
The deliberate use of thatch for the rooms, natural stone and paint colours, that blend in with the surrounding rock formations, minimize the visual impact on the setting. It has been built right into the rocks. Although quite a large camp, it still manages to exude a certain amount of rustic charm and charisma.
The central thatched building houses a reception, restaurant, dining room, bar, curio shop and lounge, a decent choice of areas for guests to relax and unwind in. A buffet breakfast and dinner are served in the elevated dining area, with some amazing views of the immediate scenery. It is not uncommon for some after-dinner entertainment either, provided by the staff, still in uniform, who perform local songs. The swimming pool offers a welcome relief from the hot Namibian sun, and the shaded, rocky areas, are ideal for a spot of relaxation.
Accommodation are either double rooms or a suite. They are all painted outside in a similar reddish-brown colour of the surrounding boulders. The walls of the interiors are painted white. Rooms are in blocks of 8, with 4 front and 4 rear facing.
- Double rooms: There are 56 x rooms with twin beds, en-suite bathrooms and a shower, wooden furniture, wall or ceiling fans and a tea/coffee station. Some of the double rooms have inter-leading doors and are ideal for families.
- VIP Suite: The VIP Suite is located further away from the main building for additional privacy. It has 2 x bathrooms (one with a bath, the only one in the lodge), private pool and bar, spacious bedroom and a kitchen. Boulders have been integrated into the suite and there is also a TV and exercise bike.
Guided tours to search and view the desert adapted elephant, rhinoceros, giraffe, springbok, and ostrich, can be organized here. These animals can be found living in total harmony with the community and it's communal farming activities.
Activities at Twyfelfontein Lodge include a walk to Seven Plates, named for the surfaces where engravings are located, and a visit to the impressive engravings at Twyfelfontein. Other interesting rock formations and the remains of prehistoric volcanic action, can be seen in the Organ Pipes, Burnt Mountain, Doros Crater and the Petrified Forest. The fauna and flora near the lodge include the Welwitschia, Moringa and a variety of the Commiphora species.
There is gravel airstrip, where transfers to and from the lodge for it's guests, can be arranged.
- Dry River Drive
- Depart by 1630hrs (Sept to Mar) or by 1530hrs (Apr to Aug) for a 3hr drive along the ephemeral AbaHuab river bed. Desert-adapted elephant are present from March to October leaving for the greener pastures of the surrounding valleys and mountains from November to February. The return drive follows valleys and small dunes stopping at Welwitschia Hill for a sundowner before heading back to the lodge for dinner.
- Rock Engraving & Petroglyphs
- A 3hr guided tour to visit the Burnt Mountain, The Organ Pipes and the 2,500 rock engravings and petroglyphs at Twyfelfontein, a World Heritage Site.
- The Real Adam & Eve
- A 1.5hr round trip to the Adam and Eve Rock engravings. On the way there will be the opportunity to view other engravings and a Bushman painting. Information at the Hare Painting will be give by your guide. A short 10min walk is needed to reach the site after the drive. This is exclusively a morning activity as the paintings become almost invisible in the afternoon sun. This trip must be booked in advance due to guide availability.
- Guided Hiking Trails
- There are a number of short but interesting guided hiking trails. Morning trails start 1hr before sunrise and the afternoon trail 1hr before sunset. The duration will take in the capabilities of the guests. For between 2 to 10 participants.
- Choose between some suggested routes not far from the lodge. Alternatively take a longer ride to the rock engravings and through the World Heritage Site at Twyfelfontein accompanied by the Monument Council guides.
- After dinner (around 2100hr) take a transfer or self-drive away from the artificial lights of the lodge to the stargazing spot. Their resident astronomer will familiarize you with the southern night skies, through his own telescope. Duration: 2 to 3hrs. For between 2 to 12 guests per session. (Weather permitting).
The Twyfelfontein Country Lodge is located approximately 100 km west of the small town of Khorixas and is accessible along the district road C 39 before joining route 3254 which has indicators to the Twyfelfontein Country Lodge.
This small lodge is located between Outjo and Khorixas - it was one of the first guest farms opened in Namibia
Situated in the tiny town of Uis, this lodge acts as a gateway to the Brandberg Mountain and other parts of the Erongo Region. The owner, Basil, is a bastion of the local community and a font of knowledge on the area
We are absolutely convinced that this is where Nelly the Elephant decided to live, after deciding to run away from the circus! A bit run down - but in an excellent location
Small private lodge consisting of thatched domed bungalows scattered amongst large granite boulders. It is well situated near Twyfelfontein and several other major Damaraland attractions
This camp was started by Wilderness Safaris and is now managed by the local community. Expect luxury, desert elephants and rhino
Named after the abundant Mopane Trees found in the area, Damara Mopane Lodge is part of a well established lodge group, known for quality lodges at reasonable prices. Only 20km from Khorixas and within driving distance of the highlights of the area
A good quality lodge located close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Excursions to the engravings and in search of desert adapted elephant are available
Situated in the town of Khorixas, this lodge may not have the most scenic setting but offers reasonable accommodation at good prices
A fairly basic establishment just outside the town of Khorixas
Private campsites in a beautiful setting
One of the most luxurious lodges in the area - accommodation is in luxury tents or more 'solid' suites.
As the name implies this is situated close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. A good quality lodge with reasonable rates.
Close to the Vingerklip rock formation and offering exciting views of the Ugab Plains
The Vingerklip is a 35m high finger like rock structure - this popular and well equipped lodge has two swimming pools and apart from being close to Vingerklip is in close proximity to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and other wonders of Damaraland
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.