Tsondab Valley Scenic Reserve
Solitaire - Namibia
Tsondab Valley Scenic Reserve is conveniently situated along the main tourist route connecting Sossusvlei with the coastal towns of Walvis Bay and Swakopmund. It is some 27km from the small settlement of Solitaire, along a farm road with a few stony and sandy sections. Access in a 2x4 vehicle with a bit of ground clearance is fine and a 4x4 vehicle is not necessary. This small lodge would suit visitors to Namibia who place remoteness and solitude high on their itinerary. Photography would feature considerably here in such a unique location.
This lodge is set on the edge of the Namib Naukluft Park on 17,000ha of private property. Red desert dunes and camelthorn savannah provide a magnificent backdrop to the surrounding landscape. The scenery alone makes it an ideal mid-way stop between the highest dunes in the world and the Atlantic Coast. Owner/managers Hans and Kirsten pride themselves on the very special atmosphere they have created at Tsondab Valley. Each and every guest is assured of their personal attention, often combined with the opportunity to 'chat with the Namibian born owners'.
Tsondab Valley has an open dining area and a bar with breathtaking views over the immediate camelthorn valley and red sand dunes. There are a variety of local game dishes to savour at dinner with the emphasis being on German-Namibian cuisine. Other facilities include a large natural pool, nearby floodlit waterhole, laundry service, Internet connection and safe parking. Tea and coffee are available in the Lapa.
Accommodation is in 5 sturdy bungalows with high ceilings and thick outer walls, providing additional protection from the desert heat and bitter strong winter winds. Twin beds, a living room, spacious en-suite bathroom with shower/toilet are standard. There is an opportunity to spend a night under the stars. Climb a stairway along the outside walls to reach an open-air terrace on the roof.
There are a number of pursuits to keep you occupied at Tsondab Valley; by road, on foot or from a birds' eye view.
- Scenic flights
- Scenic flights are offered from Tsondab Valley airstrip; Hans Schreiber is your pilot. Routes vary between 1 HR and 2.2 HRS and include attractions like Sossusvlei, Tsondabvlei, Kuiseb Canyon, Diamond coast with shipwrecks and old diamond digger’s camps and much more. Pre-bookings essential!
- Dune drives
- Trundle through the Camelthorn Valley up to the Secret Canyon and over vast desert plains with spectacular views of the desert landscape. Grazing oryx or springbuck might be observed en-route. Lots of photo stops for unique desert impressions!
The Sunrise Tour: Enjoy your first cup of tea or coffee on top of a dune early in the morning.
The Sundowner Drive: Takes you to the red sand dunes and our Blue Marble Mountain to enjoy the sunset with hearty snacks and drinks in a beautiful desert surrounding.
- Walking & Hiking
- There are a number of unguided walks including:
- Panorama Mountain: Stunning 360° views from the top of this local feature best viewed in the early morning or late afternoon just as the sun sets. Return distance from lodge: 3km. Duration: Approx 2-2.5hrs (not including viewing time).
- Hidden Canyon: Pick up a map and GPS co-ordinates before you head off to the Tsondab Valley's diverse landscapes. This half-day tour is to one the reserve's favourite routes- an adventure into the Hidden Canyon. Take a walk across million-year-old petrified dunes to discover the remains of ancient ostrich egg shells, prehistoric stone tools and fossilized roots. At 2km long and 50m deep the canyon offers you shade and respite from the hot Namibian sun. To the end of the canyon is an exit route which leads you straight back to the lodge. Return distance from lodge: Approx 14km. Duration: Approx 4.5 hours Option: Hidden Canyon Shuttle: Be transported on the shuttle and back or just one way.
- Camelthorn Valley: This shorter hike is within walking distance of your accommodation. Hike in the reserve's dune landscape to it's most distinctive feature set below the lodge – Camelthorn Valley. Guests can choose their own unguided route through the valley's red dunes or small canyon in and amongst hundreds of ancient trees. Great photographic opportunities abound en-route. The lodge is always in view, so hopefully you won't lose your way!. Duration return trip: From 30mins to 2.5 hours (depending on your route)
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
The entrance to Tsondab Valley Lodge is at the T-junction of C14 (main route from Walvis Bay to Solitaire) & D1275, which leads down Spreetshoogte Pass in a westerly direction. From the gate a track leads to the lodge, it is not in great condition but can be negotiated in a normal vehicle (with decent ground clearance, so leave your Porsche at home!) - it can take up to 30 minutes from the gate to the lodge
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A small lodge situated close to the spectacular Spreetzhoogte pass and around 10km from Solitaire
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.