Tsauchab River Camp
Accommodation near the Naukluft Mountains in Namibia
Situated on the banks of the magnificent Tsauchab River, and surrounded by the majestic Naukluft- and Tsaris mountains, is the Tsauchab River Camp. It is set 30kms south of Naukluft Park, and 70kms east of Sesriem and the entrance to Sossusvlei (this is probably too far to travel to watch the sun rising on the dunes, but it is still possible). But the lodge is best treated as a place from which to explore the Naukluft Mountains and the beautiful Tsauchab River and it's numerous rock pools.
The Tsauchab river, is flanked by enormous wild-fig trees, and the crystal clear springs are the main source of water supply to the Sesriem Canyon and Sossusvlei. This natural phenomenon abruptly ends in a dry lake at the foot of the worlds highest dunes.
Nevertheless, it is still an ideal stopover on the way, and is best suited to those who wish to overnight in a room, without the bother of putting up personal camping equipment late in the day or after a hard day's dusty drive.
There is a restaurant and bar, swimming pool, laundry service, several seating areas, and a coffee room & library. Only fresh meat and vegetables are used for their meals, and the kitchen staff are very flexible as to the menu, and they will inform you what is available. Meals are served either indoors or outdoors and take-away fresh salads, dinner picnic baskets, (starter, main and dessert) as well as light lunches can be ordered.
For those who want a temporary respite from sand, wildlife and more sand, there is a pool & darts room and volleyball court. Children are very welcome here, and there is a climbing frame and separate crèche room. Unfortunately no pets are allowed, or any excessive noise that will disturb other guests.
Accommodation is in nine chalets. The exclusive & private chalets are double rooms with double beds, and they have plenty of character. They are all equipped with an en-suite bathroom and a tea & coffee station. There is no electricity in the rooms, but sufficient lights inside and out to find your way around. There are no fans in the chalets, but the large windows and sliding doors, provide sufficient cross-room ventilation. The chalets are 800m from the restaurant and reception area and can be reached by all type of vehicles. There is currently 1 chalet suitable for wheelchair access.
Activities included at the camp include 4 marked hiking trails, 4x4 routes, (they both offer excellent bird and game watching opportunities), the springs and the ever popular sundowner view point!
Tsauchab River Camp. Good value chalets with plenty of privacy.
- Marked hiking trails
- There are 4 well marked hiking trails which allow you to explore the area on foot, ranging from 4km - 21km. To accompany the hikes maps giving additional information about the highlights of the route are available
- 4x4 routes
- For the 4x4 enthusiast Tsauchab River Camp offers excellent trails
- The scenic springs and pools allow for a refreshing swim
- Tsauchab River has a birding list of 164 different bird species!
- Sundowner view point
- enjoy the sun set over the Namib while enjoying a cold drink
- Sossusvlei trips
- Guided Trips into Sossusvlei
- Game viewing
- In a seven seater game viewing vehicle. Game is abundant and includes gemsbok, springbok, mountain zebra, kudu and leopards; Tsauchab River Camp in in process of expanding their property and will include night drives with a spot-lit waterhole
- full day guided hiking incl. breakfast in the Tsaris Mountains and lunch at the wild-fig forest and springs or just a brief 1 hour guided hike giving tribute to our succulent plants; the friendly and helpful staff will do their utmost to make your stay enjoyable
The settlement of Bullsport is marked on nearly every map, however it consists of little more than this friendly guest farm. The owners are welcoming and eager to share their Namibian experiences. Great for hiking and horse riding.
A small, budget friendly, owner operated rest camp, with individual bungalows & campsites. Great for those wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life
Located in the mountainous Naukluft section of the Namib Naukluft Park, this is an ideal base for hikers or those wanting to relax at the crystal clear rock pools that amazingly exist in the desert environment
One of the finest desert wine estates in the world can be found on the edge of the Namib Desert. The estate offers accommodation & wine tasting tours
A small lodge on the banks of the Tsauchab River - an excellent place for walking and enjoying the surrounding scenery. Visitors are welcomed by an amazing arrary of metal sculptures
Another excellent place for hiking, in the Tsaris Mountains. If you want a genuinely warm welcome at a special lodge then this is an excellent choice. Zebra River can be used as a base for visits to the dunes at Sossusvlei, but is best used to relax and walk on the massive lodge property
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.