Teufelskrallen Tented Lodge
Lodge in the Kalahari Desert - Southern Namibia
Situated on the edge of a private nature reserve in the Kalahari Desert is Teufelskrallen Tented Lodge. The lodge is close to the village of Kalkrand and about 190km's south of Windhoek, the Namibian capital. This lodge offers a great setting for self-drive individual travellers, families or small groups with its breathtaking views of the superb Kalahari Desert landscape. The landscape in this part of the Kalahari is punctuated by camelthorn trees growing in a red sand dune environment.
Check in at the reception in the 'old farmhouse', which is located 3km away from the tented accommodation. It is set in a beautiful fertile garden with shaded areas to relax and unwind. Facilities include a restaurant, swimming pool, free Internet with wireless LAN and a safe to secure your valuables. Breakfast and dinner are served in the old farmhouse.
Accommodation is in 6 tents / cabins. Each unit is equipped with a fridge, tea / coffee station,, private bathroom (shower) connected from a board walk and a private shaded viewing deck.
Giraffe, eland, black and blue wildebeest, red hartebeest, Hartmann's and Burchell's zebra, nyala, blesbok, springbok, impala, oryx, kudu and steenbok can be observed, although sightings cannot be guaranteed. Smaller mammals such as pangolin, porcupine, warthog and aardvark live in and around the reserve. Ostrich as well as many smaller species of Namibian birdlife including water birds in the rainy season can be observed.
Activities and excursions are conducted by customized 4x4 safari vehicles (from the neighbouring Kalahari Red Dune Lodge) or guided and unguided walks by foot. All trips are accompanied by experienced and knowledgeable guides.
- Game drives
- Enjoy the Kalahari Desert from the safety and comfort of a morning or afternoon safari. The leisurely drive gives ample opportunities to observe the many species of Namibian mammals that live on the reserve. The energetic can opt to climb some small dunes of around 30m high. Experience the vegetation and wildlife of the pristine wilderness environment as nature intended.
- Sundowner drive
- A great way to finish your day in the Kalahari red dunes is to participate on a sundowner drive in an open off-road car under expert guidance. This is definitely one of the most dramatic hours of the day in the desert.
- Another great way to explore the Kalahari Desert is to take a guided or unguided walk around the private reserve. All trails are clearly marked and drinking water is available at designated stops. Distances range from between 5 to 20km and last from 2hrs to all day. Tour guides can provide advice and assistance to set up a hike of a suitable distance and duration catering to your own fitness and requirements.
- Mountain biking
- Kalahari Red Dunes Lodge have 2 mountain bikes available for guests to ride on original bike trails in the private nature reserve. Crossing the Kalahari Desert on a modern mountain bike entails a bit of hard work but is great fun and healthy exercise at the same time. Experience the breathtaking vastness of the camelthorn savannah from a rather unusual mode of desert transport.
- Visit to the Protection of the Devil’s Claw Site:
- The Devil's Claw is a rare plant that produces healing ingredients for rheumatic and arthritic diseases. This has resulted in the roots being harvested out of the dry Kalahari sand almost to extinction and has recently been classed as an endangered plant species. The name is derived from the way this plant spreads its seeds.
The Devil's Claw Project aims to provide a certain amount of water, falling as rain, to enable the plants to sprout and produce seeds in October not just March.
only 25 kilometers west of Mariental this lodge promises an interesting safari experience. With over 19 game species including white rhino on the property, those seeking wildlife in this arid area are unlikely to be disappointed
10 bedroom guest house near the main B1 road in Mariental
Large; budget friendly lodge.
Excellent lodge in the Kalahari Desert, offers accommodation in units made of straw bales or wood. Bagatelle proves to be consistently popular with guests
Interested in gliding? Then this is the lodge for you
On the private Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve.
Recently upgraded, the resort is reasonably close to the main highway and offers an alternative overnight stop for those traveling between South Africa and southern Namibia towards Windhoek and other central areas of the country
Tends to cater for larger groups, but the low rates make it attractive for those looking to save some money.
Small self catering establishment in the Kalahari town of Stampriet
A small well run lodge near the scenic village of Stampriet
Close to the Mata Mata border, the lodge is situated on a large well stocked game park. This is an excellent place to view Kalahari black maned lions
A 12 room lodge situated in a nature reserve and set amongst the red dunes of the Kalahari Desert
Only a few kilometers from Mariental this magnificent game lodge is a green oasis in the Kalahari Desert. A wildlife breeding program means several rare buck species can be found on the lodge's game farm
A wonderful owner managed guest house in the village of Stampriet. An eclectic mix of local antiques & warm hospitality enhance your stay
The meerkat or suricate is a small mammal which inhabits the Kalahari - we do not know why this lodge is named after them. Perhaps if you stay here and find out you can tell us and then we can make this slightly more descriptive
A tented lodge, built on the small red dunes of the Kalahari Desert.
The third lodge on the Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve (along with Suricate & Camethorn Lodges). The Kalahari is absolutely magnificent and really should be a part of any visit to Namibia.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.