The Strand Hotel
Swakopmund - Namibia
The Strand Hotel in Namibia's premier seaside resort of Swakopmund is an ideal holiday destination for all individual, self-drive tourists and the business community who are looking for a seaside and beach location close to the town's amenities. The atmosphere and cooler temperatures of this popular coastal resting place are in stark contrast to the arduous but rewarding safaris to Etosha National Park, the solitude and spectacular scenery of Kaokoland or the rock art associated with Twyfelfontein.
The contemporary style and appearance of the Strand Hotel is a gentle historical reminder of both German and Namibian interior and exterior architectural designs constructed in line with international 4-Star standards. Mole beach, the jetty, public garden, museum, boat ramp are nearby and the town centre is a mere 300m away. Swakopmund is also the adrenalin capital of the country and many day tours and activities are best booked in advance.
A gift shop, outdoor spa, banqueting and conference centre can be accessed before you proceed through a 13m high glass-fronted passage affording ocean views and links the Stadtpark to the Mole on the other side. Once inside you can check-in at reception where a large safe room is available to store your valuables. Two guest lifts and a luggage elevator and stairs lead to the upper floors.
The Welwitschia Lounge leads from the reception with comfortable fireside leather seating and seated bar area which extend out to a sea-view relaxation room. An all day 'a la carte' menu with drinks, light meals, snacks and pastries can be ordered. Wine and dine in 3 other restaurants, bars and sea-facing terraces, a lobby lounge, beer garden and beach kiosk with separate pavilion in either indoor or outdoor, open or covered settings.
The Atlantic Spa is located on the 1st floor. It has indoor and outdoor locations with 2 single and 1 double Treatment Room. The Relaxation Room has 'his and hers' bathroom/toilet/changing room with a personal steam room. Outside is the Rooftop Garden double Treatment Gazebo, private relaxation areas and water features.
The Atlantic Gym is located on the 2nd floor and is equipped with a selection of equipment guaranteed to test your overall fitness. An additional feature is the 'his and hers' bathroom/toilet/changing room with personal sauna.
Upstairs open bridges link the bedroom floors with accommodation in a total of 125 rooms. Most of the rooms have beach and/or sea views, the remainder garden or park views. There are:
- Standard Rooms: There are 74 Standard Rooms (28 to 31 sqm) all equipped with an en-suite bathroom with shower, single vanity and a separate toilet. Air-conditioning, tea/coffee station, mini-bar, hair-dryer, satellite TV with hotel DSTV package, free Wi-fi access and a telephone are standard. Floor to ceiling panoramic and sliding doors/windows afford ocean/beach or garden/park views. Sleep on either a king-sized or 2 twin beds. The writing desk can double up as a lady's dresser. Relax on an easy lounge chair with reading light. Standard Rooms are designed for 2 adult and 1 child in a cot. Just 2 of the Standard Rooms can are furnished for 2 adults and 2 children.
- Standard Enabled: The 2 Standard Enabled Rooms (39 sqm) come complete with all the facilities and furnishings of the Standard Rooms. In addition they have a 2nd bathroom fully-equipped with bathroom and shower and full wheelchair access. Both of these rooms have sea-views.
- Luxury Rooms: Situated in the most desirable of the hotel's locations the 40 Luxury Rooms (31 to 40 sqm) have floor to ceiling panoramic and sliding doors/windows that step out onto romantic 'Romeo and Juliet' balconies. Beach/sea views are guaranteed. The en-suite bathrooms have showers and double 'his and hers' vanities. Unwind on 2 easy lounging armchairs with reading light. All of the Luxury Rooms can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children up to the age of 15 years. They are equipped with similar sleeping arrangements, facilities and furniture as the Standard Rooms.
- Junior Suites: The 6 Junior Suites (42 sqm) have been sited for guaranteed beach/sea views. Floor to ceiling double sized panoramic sliding doors/windows lead onto larger seated balconies. In addition to the amenities and furnishings of the Standard Rooms the bathrooms are fitted with a bath and a shower, separate toilets and double vanities. The extra length soft-top mattress on the king-sized bed, a writing/dining table and a lounge area with comfortable armchairs and reading lights complete the luxurious interior setting of the Junior Suites. Suitable for families of 2 adults and 2 children up to the age of 15 years.
- Luxury Suites: The superb location of the 2 Luxury Suites (70 sqm) allows for 3 sets of floor to ceiling double sized panoramic sliding doors which lead on to 3 seated balconies. Admire sea/beach views across the main beach, Atlantic Ocean and selected town sights. These suites have an open-plan lounge and 4 seater dining room. The separate bedroom suites (with ladies dresser) have a king-sized bed with a soft top mattress, en-suite bathrooms with bath and shower, double vanities and a separate toilet. There are 2 couches and an executive desk in the lounge and a 4 seater dining room. TV's and hotel DSTV package are in both bedroom and lounge. Each Luxury Suite is suitable for 2 adults and 2 children. The facilities are similar to the other rooms and suites.
- Presidential Suite: The Presidential Suite (125 sqm) sits proudly on the top floor of the Strand Hotel with guaranteed full and wide open views of Swakopmund's main beach and the Atlantic Ocean. There are 3 sets of floor to ceiling double sized panoramic sliding doors which lead out on to a 25m² terrace which runs the full length of the suite. The en-suite bathroom has a full bath, separate shower, toilet and double vanities.
With amenities and furnishings similar to the Luxury Suites additional features include a separate Master Bedroom, king-sized bed with soft-top mattress, fireplace, tea/coffee station, executive desk/ladies dresser and a walk-in dresser. The entertainment room has seating for 8 guests around a fireplace. TV, tea/coffee and bar stations and executive desk lead onto a further 8 seated dining room complete with Butler's pantry/kitchen. An inter-leading Standard Room is suitable for children.
A hot air balloon ride over the Namib Desert
Full & half day trips from Swakopmund to various birding hotspots in the Namib Desert
A half day tour (with morning and afternoon departures) to the seal colony at Cape Cross
Visits the seal colony at Cape Cross and the Messum Crater which is best known for it's desert adapted plants such as the Welwitschia Mirabilis
Everything from sharks to pilchards
A half day tour into the Namib Desert
A day trip from Swakopmund into the Namib Desert
Explore the Namib Desert at night on foot - a great way to learn about the nocturnal creatures which inhabit this part of Namibia.
2 hour guided trip into the dune belt near Swakopmund (50km) - you enter an area where you cannot get to by car or foot. No experience necessary...
Skitter down the slip faces of a tall star dune near Swakopmund at 80km/h on a lie-down board, or enjoy the style and grace of a stand-up board. No experience necessary.
A day trip from Swakopmund down the Skeleton Coast to Sandwich Harbour
Leave the safety of the aircraft and join a tandem skydive. No experience required!
Full day tour to the Spitzkoppe Mountains - you will meet the Damara people and be introduced to the Bushman rock art of the area.
This tour is an exploration into the past, present & future of the town of Swakopmund
view the lagoon from the comfort of a catamaran
A dolphin cruise around the Walvis Bay Lagoon
Quad biking in the coastal dunes with a difference. These tours concentrate on the fauna, flora & people who inhabit the dune belt, excellent guiding and stunning scenery make this an experience not to be missed
An eventful day trip combining kayaking on the lagoon with a 4x4 trip through the Namib Desert dunes ending in Sandwich Harbour
A morning of cruising on the Walvis Bay lagoon is followed by the spectacular and thrilling drive to the natural harbour & splendid birdlife of Sandwich Harbour
Kayaking on the Walvis Bay Lagoon
Situated close to the beach & the town center. This hotel offers a wide choice of room types making it the perfect choice for every budget
Right in the middle of town, the Hansa is over 100 years old and still offers top quality accommodation
Hotel situated close to the town center, decorated in a Victorian style
Centrally located hotel with old world German style
Situated out of town on the Rossmund Golf course, one of the world's best desert courses.
A brand new hotel, on the site of the old Strand Hotel, is set to open in August 2015
A very centrally located small hotel - within easy walking distance of the town center, Swakopmunds favourite restaurants - the Jetty and the Tug, as well as everything else the town has to offer
A large hotel, based around the historic railway station. Complete with casino, bars and restaurants
A large modern accommodation establishment that offers a warm welcome and all-round attentive service
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.