Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
NamibRand - Namibia
Sossusvlei Desert Lodge (formerly Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge) is situated in the northern foothills of the 184,000ha, privately owned NamibRand Nature Reserve, some 26kms from Sesriem. The reserve lies on the eastern boundary of the Namib-Naukluft National Park. It is a small and exclusive lodge, within easy reach of the Sesriem main gate and subsequent (self-drive or organized) tour on to the fabulous dunes of Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon. The lodge can be reached in a saloon car.
This desert wilderness is home to a surprising variety of animals which thrive in a desert environment. Oryx, springbok, aardwolf, ostrich, hyena, bat-eared fox, Cape fox, Burchell’s Zebra and Hartman's Mountain Zebra, can all be viewed here. There are also over 115 different variety of bird species here, including sociable weavers, black and martial eagles and the dune lark.
The split-level lodge has a fire-lit bar, comfortable sitting area and a mezzanine library with CD/ book collection, all encompassed in wraparound verandas. The Safari Shop has an assortment of branded goods and clothing. At sunset, wildlife can be observed from the viewing deck, the perfect excuse for a sundowner.
Fine fare is served at both indoor and outdoor dining areas, and the delicious Pan African meals can be complemented by a fine selection of wines, on display at the walk-in cellar.
10 stone and glass split-level desert suites, have been built in the side of a mountain. Each suite is equipped to cope with the climatic extremes of the desert. Air-conditioning and outside showers for those hot summer days, and an en-suite, glass-encased bathroom and an inviting fireplace for those cold winter evenings. There is a large star-viewing window above the bed, and the rooms are equipped with a CD system, a personal compact telescope, and a service-intercom to the main lodge. The powerful telescope provides exceptional opportunities to observe the cosmos, as well as game viewing, all from the comfort of your own room.
The suites are generously spaced apart for extra privacy, with a shaded deck to marvel at the wonderful horizons of the Namib Desert. There is also a swimming pool, fed by an underground spring.
Activities include morning and evening nature drives in open 4WD vehicles. There are guided walks, and marked walking trails for the independent explorer.
Optional extras at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge include a hot-air balloon trip over the Namib, guided 4WD trips to Sossusvlei or Sesriem Canyon and ATV (quad-bike) excursions.
Children are welcome at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge. One unit can take an extra bed for a child, but unfortunately, children aged 5yrs and under cannot participate in scheduled safari activities.
- Nature drives
- track down unique desert-adapted wildlife in open vehicles, accompanied by an expert guide. Admire the fascinating and varied terrain, and learn more about the desert fauna and flora. Explore the mysterious fairy circles, where vegetation refuses to grow, and find out how the desert oryx can live without drinking water.
- Dune walks
- guests are free to explore the areas surrounding the Lodge on foot. Experience the tranquility of the desert and marvel at the exceptional plant life, such as the quiver tree, with its attractive yellow flowers. Guided dune walks introduce guests to life below the sands, where many small animals spend the day in cooler burrows. Expeditions to the nearby San caves to view cave paintings can be arranged.
- Quad biking
- explore the desert on already established trails on a quad bike. These exciting expeditions, headed by an expert guide, add a thrill of adrenalin to desert exploration.
- Gaze at the stars
- each evening resident astronomers give fascinating presentation on the stars and constellations in the southern African sky at our specially designed observatory, complete with powerful telescope.
- Picnic excursions
- guided tours of the famous Sossusvlei sand dunes and the fascinating Sesriem Canyon, as well as other places of interest in the area, can be arranged.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Lovely rooms with rooftop terraces or a choice of campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both larger groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
A new addition on the same property as the Desert Homestead. Hiking & riding are popular activities here
Well equipped rooms with self catering kitchens only 5 kilometers from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Kitchen utensils can be rented on site
These rustic wooden cabins can only be reached as part of a guided walking trail originating at Namib Desert Lodge. perfect for those wanting to explore the desert on foot
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
This campsite offer the closest place to stay to the dunes - camping only
A combination of permanent structures and canvas make this an interesting choice for the budget conscious traveller
The only lodge inside the borders of the national park. Allows for extra early visits to the Sossusvlei dunes
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and top of the range guiding
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private veranda's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.