Lodges near Sossusvlei - Namibia
Sossusvlei Lodge is situated adjacent to Sesriem, on a 44,000ha private reserve just outside the entrances to both the Namib Naukluft Park and the dunes at Sossusvlei. This setting makes it the ideal destination for visitors wanting to explore this section of the Namib Desert, without having the longer early morning drive, associated with accommodation located further away.
The lodge blends in perfectly with the spectacular desert surrounds which bears testament to the outstanding eco-friendly design.
In the main complex area there is the reception, (with courtesy beverage bar) adventure centre, observation tower, dining and grill areas, a chlorinated fresh water swimming pool, (with pool towels) and bar. Also at reception is a guest telephone facility. The curio shop's stock includes books of the area, postcards, African art jewelry, lodge branded clothing and caps, films, camera batteries, sunglasses and sunscreen.
There is also a laundry facility here and all of the lights are powered by solar energy. At the adjacent Sesriem Camp Site, there is a small general dealer type shop, selling basic necessities, and a petrol station.
Sossusvlei Lodge offers a unique destination for both indoor and outdoor conferencing in Namibia. The conference centre has a seating capacity of 100, and is fully equipped with all the modern audio-visual aids. It is also proving to be a popular venue for product launches, team building workshops, not to mention weddings and other special functions.
Sossusvlei Lodge serves a continental or full English breakfast, a buffet or 'a la carte luncheon' and a sumptuous buffet dinner, including soup of the day, cold meats, fresh salads, a variety of breads and meats, poultry, vegetables and stir-fries. The evening meal is rounded off with an extensive selection of puddings, desserts, tarts, cheese/biscuits and hot/cold beverages. The bar serves an extensive range of Southern African wines, well-known Namibian and German beers and schnapps.
Accommodation at the lodge is in:
- Rooms: 45 x units with the same standard layout. All of the units have adobe walls, tiled floors and canvas roofs. Every room sleeps two in adjoining three-quarter beds. They have an entrance hall, bathroom with shower/toilet/wash basin, a fan, wardrobe, (a personal electronic safe is located here) and a verandah with table and chairs. Above the en-suite bathrooms is a flat roof, from which you can enjoy stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Family Rooms: 3 x Family Units are available with similar features to the rooms but with inter-leading doors between the bathrooms connecting the two units. Each unit has a private bathroom.
Many of their guests marvel at the desert beauty from a bird's eye view in a hot air balloon or by aircraft. A visit to The Adventure Centre is recommended. There is a wide variety of activities to enjoy in the area including Sossusvlei excursions, desert scenic flights, bush dinners, nature drives, sundowners, guided sunset walks, hot-air balloon flights and eco-quad biking.
Airstrip transfers to and from the lodge are available for guests of Sossusvlei Lodge.
- It is perfectly safe to walk freely around Sossusvlei Desert Lodge, provided that contact with wild animals, snakes, scorpions and other reptiles is avoided.
- Antelope, scavengers and other mammals frequently visit the waterhole
- Sossusvlei Excursions
- An early start from the Lodge to enter the Namib-Naukluft Park at sunrise, while the temperature is still mild and when the dune contrasts are at their best. You will travel in one of our all-terrain URI Game viewer vehicles, custom-built in Namibia for the Lodge, with your own specially trained guide who will share all his knowledge of the area, the animals, the plant life and much more with you. Regular stops are made on the 60 kilometre drive down to the Vlei to gain information or take in the vistas. At Dune 45, the more energetic have the opportunity to climb to the upper ridge of the world's most photographed dune. Further along, a gradual 2,6 kilometre round-trip walk up to Dead Vlei is a must for the healthy visitors. Spend time in Sossusvlei before returning to the Lodge approximately 5 hours later in time for luncheon. Refreshments are provided on the trip.
- Nature Drives
- Guided nature drives in our comfortable all-terrain URI Game viewer vehicles on the 44 000 hectare expanse that make up our private reserve. You will experience a relaxing drive through pristine nature where Oryx and springbok wander freely on the property. Spectacular photographs present themselves at every turn during this excursion of approximately 4.5 hours. Refreshments are provided.
- Depart from Sossusvlei Lodge in the late afternoon on a leisurely drive out onto the Lodge's private reserve. Watch the shadows lengthen as your guide takes you out to a panoramic location where sundowner drinks will be served as you relax and watch the spectacular sunset.
- Eco-Quad Biking
- A wonderful and different way to view the local surrounds. Exhilarating yet eco-friendly, the fixed quad biking trials have been meticulously laid out on the Lodge's private reserve so as not to interfere with the indigenous plant and animal life. Visitors follow the guide and may not deviate off the trails.
- Quad Bike Breakfast Run
- is for the person who wants to experience something different and is specifically geared towards those who still want to travel on to their next destination the same day with the trip departing around 15 minutes before sunrise. It follows the shortest route on easy terrain to the Tsauchab River and arrives at the destination in time to watch the sunrise. Once there, your Guide unpacks the picnic basket and sets a 'table' (of petrified mud which resembles a flat table top and even offers 'seats' too). This breakfast location is stunning with a 360° view of the rising sun over the mountains, on the dunes, on the golden grass plains and on the mountains... simply breathtaking! On completion of the breakfast, bikers follow a slightly different direct route back to the Lodge over easy terrain.
- Desert Scenic Flights
- a Cessna 210 light aircraft is permanently based on the Sossusvlei Lodge property along with an experienced pilot who also doubles as a trained "aerial" desert guide. A number of routes are available on request and include 40 minute trips to Sossusvlei and longer round-trip flights down to the coast. The latter excursion provides wonderful aerial photographs of the desert with its 'sea of dunes' as well as unforgettable views of the numerous shipwrecks along the "Skeleton Coast" of Namibia.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Lovely rooms with rooftop terraces or a choice of campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both larger groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
A new addition on the same property as the Desert Homestead. Hiking & riding are popular activities here
Well equipped rooms with self catering kitchens only 5 kilometers from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Kitchen utensils can be rented on site
These rustic wooden cabins can only be reached as part of a guided walking trail originating at Namib Desert Lodge. perfect for those wanting to explore the desert on foot
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
This campsite offer the closest place to stay to the dunes - camping only
A combination of permanent structures and canvas make this an interesting choice for the budget conscious traveller
The only lodge inside the borders of the national park. Allows for extra early visits to the Sossusvlei dunes
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and top of the range guiding
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private veranda's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.