Sophia Dale Camp
Swakopmund - Namibia
Sophia Dale Basecamp is located just 12km from Namibia's popular coastal resort of Swakopmund, only 800m from the main road (B2). This is a bed and breakfast establishment, with the added attraction of self-catering facilities. Renovations for the camp were completed in 2009. It is set in a lush area next to the Swakop River without the fog banks that are associated on the coast.
The camp is an ideal destination for travellers and families who prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of Swakopmund, but still close enough to drive into town and use its beaches, shopping, medical and banking facilities if required. There are also a wide range of bars and restaurants in the town.
Although there is no restaurant at present, future planning includes the addition of a cozy and inviting Lapa by the end of 2010. Sophia Dale Basecamp will be offering local and international cuisine for their diners. Traditional German breakfasts can be ordered, but guests must order meals in advance, with the chef's home made sausages a speciality.
Other facilities include a small shop, selling a wide range of goods for your cooler box or to stock up for your stay and onward journey, such as cool drinks, firewood and snacks. There is also a laundry service, secure parking and an outside braai area.
The accommodation has been designed and decorated in 'authentic African styles'. There are:
- Self-catering rondavels: There are 2 self-catering bungalows ideal for 2 or 4 persons. The 2 en-suite bedrooms have a combo of double/single beds. The kitchen is equipped with a fridge, 2 plate stove, kettle, coffee machine, radio, as well as adequate cooking utensils. There is also a small dining area with views of the surrounding area, parking and a large braai area.
- Double Rooms: 3 double rooms are situated in 'The Royal House' for non-self catering guests. Each room has a kettle and a fridge. Relax on the verandah or in comfortable room seating. 2 of the rooms have 2 beds and shared bathroom facilities with a shower and are suitable for up to 4 persons. The other room can convert to 2 single beds with own bathroom, bath and shower.
- Family Room: The Family Room are suitable for a family of 4. There is a shared bathroom with a shower and 2 beds in each room, A couch and armchairs, fridge and kettle are supplied.
Sophia Dale is a good choice for visitors seeking self catering accommodation in Namibia
A hot air balloon ride over the Namib Desert
Full & half day trips from Swakopmund to various birding hotspots in the Namib Desert
A half day tour (with morning and afternoon departures) to the seal colony at Cape Cross
Visits the seal colony at Cape Cross and the Messum Crater which is best known for it's desert adapted plants such as the Welwitschia Mirabilis
Everything from sharks to pilchards
A half day tour into the Namib Desert
A day trip from Swakopmund into the Namib Desert
Explore the Namib Desert at night on foot - a great way to learn about the nocturnal creatures which inhabit this part of Namibia.
2 hour guided trip into the dune belt near Swakopmund (50km) - you enter an area where you cannot get to by car or foot. No experience necessary...
Skitter down the slip faces of a tall star dune near Swakopmund at 80km/h on a lie-down board, or enjoy the style and grace of a stand-up board. No experience necessary.
A day trip from Swakopmund down the Skeleton Coast to Sandwich Harbour
Leave the safety of the aircraft and join a tandem skydive. No experience required!
Full day tour to the Spitzkoppe Mountains - you will meet the Damara people and be introduced to the Bushman rock art of the area.
This tour is an exploration into the past, present & future of the town of Swakopmund
view the lagoon from the comfort of a catamaran
A dolphin cruise around the Walvis Bay Lagoon
Quad biking in the coastal dunes with a difference. These tours concentrate on the fauna, flora & people who inhabit the dune belt, excellent guiding and stunning scenery make this an experience not to be missed
An eventful day trip combining kayaking on the lagoon with a 4x4 trip through the Namib Desert dunes ending in Sandwich Harbour
A morning of cruising on the Walvis Bay lagoon is followed by the spectacular and thrilling drive to the natural harbour & splendid birdlife of Sandwich Harbour
Kayaking on the Walvis Bay Lagoon
A centrally located self catering lodge & campsite
An art gallery turned guest house - the Space is truly alternative and worth a visit if you are interested in philosophical conversation, innovative thinking and staying somewhere out of the norm.
Offers a variety of suites, luxury rooms and self catering units. Ideal for the business traveler or holiday maker
Top location, right on the beach. Has some limited self catering facilities
Very centrally located, includes traditional guest house accommodation as well as two separate self catering flats
Two well equipped self catering apartments, both with sea views
Close to the beach in one of the towns northern suburbs, offers accommodation for up to five people
15km outside of Swakopmund this elegant. pet friendly, guest house offers amazing views over the Namib Desert. Accommodation is in either guest house rooms or self catering units
A well established owner managed guesthouse where emphasis is placed on environmental issues
A choice of four fully equipped self-catering units
Campsites and self catering bungalows in the Swakop River about 12km from town
Centrally located self catering apartments offering a good selection of units (choose from studio, one, two or three bedroom units)
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.