Solitaire Guest Farm
Solitaire - Namibia
Solitaire Guest Farm is situated near Solitaire, some 83kms from Sesriem, the entrance to Sossusvlei. Solitaire itself, is a small settlement in central Namibia, near the Namib-Naukluft National Park. It currently features the only petrol station, post office, and general dealer between the dunes at Sossusvlei and the coast at Walvis Bay.
The gate to Solitaire Guest Farm farm is only 500m from the gas station. It is also an ideal base to explore the Naukluft Mountains.
The name Solitaire was chosen because it can mean a single set diamond and solitude or loneliness. It was originally named Areb after the nearby river. It was renamed by the wife of the original homesteader, Willem Christoffel van Coller, who purchased the farm in 1948. Combined, these two meanings create the definition of being unique, or a one-of-a-kind and a precious, but solitary place.
For most of the year Solitaire is the proverbial one horse town, but during the tourist season it becomes very busy, with visitors heading to the dunes from either Swakopmund or Windhoek passing through. One of Namibia’s finest experiences is visiting the famous Dunes of Sossusvlei, Sesriem Canyon, the Naukluft Mountains and Spreetshoogte Pass.
The Guest Farm has been converted from the original farmhouse and guests can enjoy a sundowner and the beautiful desert sunset whilst watching wildlife at their illuminated watering hole.
All the rooms at Solitaire Guest Farm have air-conditioning and in addition:
- Single / Double Rooms: The African themed rooms are located in the original 1950's farmhouse. They are all tastefully decorated with spacious bathrooms, a ceiling fan and comfortable chairs.
- Family Rooms: Large Family Rooms are similar to the Double Rooms and can sleep 2 adults and 1/2 children. They are also located in the farmhouse.
- Thatched House: The spacious Thatched House is located at the base of the mountains and provides privacy and comfort for families or groups of up to 6 who wish to self-cater. It has 2 en-suite bedrooms both with a double and a single bed, a fully equipped kitchen and dining area. Relax in a stylish and comfortable lounge or step outside onto the verandah and enjoy a desert sunset as you braai. Bedding, towels and linen are included.
Meals are cooked in the farm kitchen and are based on typical Namibian farm cuisine, and can be served in thatched lapa if desired.
This cozy, private guest farm has tame springbok, meerkats, dogs, cats, and a variety of birdlife. There are numerous hiking trails, nature and night drives in which oryx, kudu, springbok, Mountain Zebra, bat-eared foxes, cheetah, leopard, and smaller animals, can be viewed.
Enjoy a sundowner and an incredible African sunset on the nearby Sunset Hill, or just relax one of the two swimming pools, with stunning views over the Namib Desert. Watch game on one of the farm's night drives or visit the 'miraculous mountain' that looks like a human skull!
Day trips to Sossusvlei / Sesriem Canyon , the Naukluft Mountains and the three passes, Spreetshoogte, Remhoogte and Gamsberg, can also be organized from Solitaire Guest Farm.
There is a nearby air-strip where transfers to and from the lodge can be organized.
Solitaire Guest Farm is an HAN Silver Award of excellence winner.
- Sunset drive
- this 2 hour drive and will take you through beautiful terrain, from Namib plains to mountain areas. Your guide will also point out interesting rock formations, plants of the desert and will take you for the sunset to an amazing point with an incredible view over the Namib Desert.
- Night Drive
- starts after dinner in an open game viewing vehicle you are taken around Solitaire Farm trying to spot nocturnal game and birds with a spotlight.
- Hiking Trails
- There are a variety of trails available ranging in length from 2-10 hours
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A small lodge situated close to the spectacular Spreetzhoogte pass and around 10km from Solitaire
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.