Soft Adventure Camp
Accommodation near Sossusvlei - Namibia
Soft Adventure Camp welcomes groups, families and individual travellers who are looking for an affordable alternative to other more luxurious lodges in the region. Great service and tasty food are combined with a relaxed atmosphere close to one of the most beautiful destinations in Namibia.
The camp is set in a 23,000ha private nature reserve in the Namib Naukluft Park built amongst the rocky outcrops of a granite hill. Soft Adventure Camp is a sister establishment to Namib Naukluft Lodge a short drive away.
Various landscape types dominate Namib-Naukluft Park. The most famous are the wind driven, star-shaped dunes at Sossusvlei, Namibia's 2nd most popular tourist attraction. There are many interesting day or overnight trails in the park, taking hikers along dry riverbeds and following zebra trails up mountains. An adventure by vehicle along a 4x4 trail tests the most capable of driver.
The open-sided dining area is situated on a hill above the rooms and is fitted with drop-down canvas flaps used in cooler or windier climes. The central cooking area and corner bar counter are kitted out with solid wooden tables and chairs, ideal for wining and dining whilst enjoying sunsets and the immediate scenery. The camp looks out to a small hill range where the sun sets. The absence of bright lights enhances stargazing. Next to the dining area is a small rock pool.
Accommodation is in 15 spacious chalets, these are permanganate structures with canvas window partitions (giving the camp its 'adventurous' feel). Each unit is set near and blends in with the bright red granite boulder backdrop. En-suite bathrooms (shower and toilet), ceiling fan, air-conditioning, 2 camping chairs and private verandah are standard. Every chalet sleeps 2 or 3 on request. A water hole in front of the chalets attracts a variety of antelope and ostriches.
All activities operate from Namib Naukluft Lodge, but Soft Adventure Camp guests are welcome to join in.
- Sossusvlei Excursion
- On a daily basis, an excursion to the popular dunes at Sossusvlei is offered. The tour is conducted by an English speaking driver /guide in a 4 x 4 overland vehicle. Secure your seat and book in advance. An early morning rise, with a snack before leaving, enables you to arrive at Sesriem, the Park's gate, at around sunrise. Enjoy this unique desert scenery with some of the highest dunes in the world. The dynamic and star-shaped dunes are ideal for the keen photographer. Climb one of the over 300 m high dunes and you will be overwhelmed by the view. A full breakfast is served under shady Camelthorn trees. Visit the Sesriem Canyon before returning to the Lodge for lunch.
- Naukluft Hiking Trail
- If you are fit and active, we offer a 2 hour hiking trail in the mountains of this 13,000 ha private nature reserve. Your can be accompanied by a guide or walk it by yourself. The trail is accurately laid out, a map and a radio will ensure your safety during the hike
- Sundowner Drives
- In the late afternoon you may decide to join a drive to the natural marble mountains on the farm - in true Namibian style sunset is enjoyed with a refreshing drink
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Lovely rooms with rooftop terraces or a choice of campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both larger groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
A new addition on the same property as the Desert Homestead. Hiking & riding are popular activities here
Well equipped rooms with self catering kitchens only 5 kilometers from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Kitchen utensils can be rented on site
These rustic wooden cabins can only be reached as part of a guided walking trail originating at Namib Desert Lodge. perfect for those wanting to explore the desert on foot
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
This campsite offer the closest place to stay to the dunes - camping only
A combination of permanent structures and canvas make this an interesting choice for the budget conscious traveller
The only lodge inside the borders of the national park. Allows for extra early visits to the Sossusvlei dunes
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and top of the range guiding
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private veranda's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.