Rostock Ritz Desert Lodge
Namib Desert - Namibia
Rostock Ritz is built on the slope of a hill overlooking a mountain range to the north and the colourful dune landscape of the Namib Desert, to the south-west Thanks to Rostock's distance from Sossusvlei the atmosphere here is quieter and more relaxed than you would experience from others closer to the dunes. The lodge is also a convenient place to overnight in your journey between Swakopmund and Sesriem and is a popular lunch break on that route.
However long you stay for here you will be able to admire some superb scenery complemented by committed staff and some unusually styled accommodation. Self-drive tourists who have the time to stay for 2 or 3 nights can enjoy a number of very interesting walking trails ranging from easy to over 7 hours.
The rooms were designed by a well-known Namibian architect. The unique round structures blend into the granite surroundings. The shape gives it them an African flair, no roof structure was necessary (seasonal twisters are not uncommon in this region), and the 'cave feeling' of the interior allows their guests a feeling of security in the wilderness of Namibia.
Rostock Ritz can accommodate 60 guests in:
- Rooms: 20 Rooms with own terrace and panoramic view over the Namib Desert. There is 24hr electric light, mosquito net and fan. The crystal clear tap water comes from boreholes 30m deep and 7 kilometres away. Hot water is generated by solar geysers.
- Suites: The Suites (50m²) are twice the size of the Double Rooms. They have the same facilities as the Double Rooms with the addition of a comfortable sofa.
The food at Rostock is legendary and meals are served in the restaurant from the chef's 'a la carte' menu, or a 3 course menu. There is also a well-stocked bar. Day visitors are welcome! Starters include a selection of seafood, meat or cheese dishes. There are a salads, fish, chicken and meat dishes, side and small dishes, not to mention a variety of desserts and after dinner liqueurs
The swimming pool boasts amazing views over the plains of the Namib Desert - views that have been described as the 'best views in Namibia!' This is the ideal place to relax with a drink on one of the sun loungers or in the shade of the thatched lapa.
The hiking trails have been designed for their guests enjoyment as well as to experience the tranquility of the desert. There is much to appreciate here in the form of landscape and astonishing sunrises and sunsets. Insect, bird and many species of wildlife are found here.
Rostock Ritz Desert Lodge specifically ask their guests to 'leave nothing than footprints - silver foil, plastic bags & tins could be the start of a garbage mountain.'
Activities include a variety of well-marked hiking trails through the gorges of Gaub & Kuiseb Canyon. They are of a variety of intensity and duration. These treks cater for both athletes and nature lovers. They include a sundowner/sunrise walk, Plain and Ubib walk, river trail, spring walk, and Gaubspring walk. There is a 4x4 drive to historical bushman paintings hidden in the oasis cave, a sunset drive through the Rostock landscape and a self-drive tour to Sossusvlei. (The highest sand dunes in the world).
Many guests also love to watch the meerkats and the desert fauna, or just relax, unwind and marvel at the fabulous view from the swimming pool.
Rostock Ritz Desert Lodge can be reached by road or daily charter from Swakopmund or Windhoek. Pilots can also land with your own aircraft on their 1.6 km airstrip.
- Scenic drives
- Explore the semi-desert area in the vicinity of Rostock Ritz in an all-terrain vehicle. You will encounter red sand dunes, interesting geological structures and rock formation and rare desert plants. With luck you will also spot a few Hartmann-Zebras. The drive ends with a sundowner drink with views across the Namib desert.
- Trips to cave paintings
- An hour 4x4 drive & a twenty minute hike rewards participants with a gallery of a thousand year old rock paintings. The paintings are in good condition and have been created by generations of Bushmen. After admiring the paintings you will enjoy a drink as the sun sets, and then hike back to the vehicle and return to the lodge.
- half-day trips to the dunes at Sossusvlei including a breakfast basket prepared by the lodge
- Hiking Trails
- The Rostock Ritz property has over 40km of marked walking trails (a GPS and trail booklet are availbale from reception). This includes hikes through the open spaces of the Namib, to Bushman paintings, the canyons of the Gaub(springs) or the red Rostock Mountains.
- Sundowner Trail: This relatively easy walk starts and end at the lodge. Enjoy desert views as the trail leads you across a hill, into a gorge and across a plateau and then back to the lodge. Duration:1hr
- Sunrise Walking Trail: Hike begins and ends at the lodge. Best enjoyed before breakfast with views of the Witberg Mountains to the south-east. A short trail across the lodge mountain returning through red sand dunes.Duration:1hr
- Plateau/Plains Walk: The Plateau/Plains walk begins and ends at the lodge. Enjoy superb views across enormous plains towards the Witberg Mountains. Hike past a hill and into a gorge before heading across the valley bordering a mountain plateau. Your return track to the lodge winds through stunning plains and sand dunes. Duration: 2hrs
- Panorama Hiking Trail Ubib: A longer 'round-about' walk on a beautiful scenic trail with stunning views across mountain, plains, sand dunes and canyons. Spot a variety of birds en-route as well as possible sightings of mountain zebra, springbok and klipspringer. Pass through the valley of a gorge, traverse a plain before heading down to 'ship's wreck' rock. Stunning views all the way and on up to a cave where eagles used to rest including the impressive Ubib Canyon. A trail leads you to a dry riverbed and follow the sandy path back to the lodge. Duration: 4hrs Distance:10km
- Gaub/Spring fountain: A drive of approx 20mins is required to reach the start point. Self-drive or join a lodge tour. Follow a track through gorges, alongside cliffs with views of beautiful rock formations. Permanent water at Witberg Mountains and the Gaub Fountain attracts baboons, birds and at times leopard. Hiking is recommended from April to September. Duration: 3hrs
- Bushman Paintings: You will need to self-drive or take a tour with the lodge to the beginning of the walking trail. Hike through ever changing landscapes across valleys, mountains and through endless plains. The highlight is a to enter a cave and view ancient bushman paintings. Duration: 7hrs
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A small lodge situated close to the spectacular Spreetzhoogte pass and around 10km from Solitaire
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.