Kavango - Namibia
Visitors to the Kavango Region can stopover at Riverdance Lodge which enjoys a water side location. It is only 24km from the small town of Divundu. They offer the ideal base to explore Popa Falls, Mahango Game Reserve and Bwabwata National Park, all within an hour's drive from the lodge. The peaceful and secluded location of Riverdance will suit individual travellers and families alike.
The course of the Kavango River is abruptly interrupted by rocks, creating a 4m high waterfall before the river enters Botswana and the Okavango Delta. This feature is called Popa Falls. Mahango NP covers an area of some 25,400ha. It is separated from the Bwabwata NP by the Kavango River. Year round water ensures an abundance of game. Although several of the lodges in the Kavango & Zambezi regions are prone to annual flooding, RiverDance is situated above the flood level and can offer year round accommodation.
Guests can wine and dine in the restaurant and bar. Chill and relax after your meal in the lounge. This offers a great opportunity to chat with others about their day's activities and Namibian adventures. Jump into the splash pool and refresh after a long drive. Other amenities include a laundry service, internet connection and secure parking. There is also a safe in the reception to store your valuables.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are enhanced by fruits from their own orchard, vegetables from their greenhouse, a supply of goat’s milk cheese, freshly caught fish, honey, wild fruits, roasted nuts, wild spinach, mahango and eggs which add to the luxury of living along the river. Lunch packs are also available. Braai's for larger groups can be organized as can special dietary requirements.
The curio shop sells arts and crafts made by members of the Momono / Biro community. Try the sage shampoo and conditioner. A selection of branded caps, hats and sunscreen, endorsed by the Cancer Association of Namibia, can be bought.
The rooms at Riverdance Lodge are nestled amongst riverine woodland, emphasizing privacy and seclusion. They are all of a wooden and glass construction and set on the waterfront. There are:
- Luxury rooms: The 4 x luxury rooms come complete with local linens and extra length beds, which add to your comfort and well-being. Private walkways lead to your own bathroom, complete with a bath and shower, biodegradable toiletries, bathrobes and towels. A safe is in reception to store your valuables.
- Family unit: This is a spacious room which can accommodate 2 adults and 1 or 2 children. The facilities are similar to the luxury rooms.
The owners of Riverdance Loge are passionate about camping, and have invested great thought into the campsite. The exclusive sites offer privacy, a view and access to the river, and their own ablution facilities. Guests are welcome to order a warm loaf of bread or pizza fresh from the lodge oven. Campers have access to a wooden deck separate from the lodge… something the owners always missed when they were out camping.
Children of all ages are welcome at Riverdance Lodge. A traditional local game 'kakoijo' will keep them amused for a while!
Wildlife in the area includes elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah, African wild dog, hippo, lechwe, sitatunga, buffalo, sable and roan antelopes. More than 430 Namibian bird species have been recorded in the area with the riverine habitat considered one of Namibia's top birding destinations. Chinspot batis, swallow-tailed bee-eater, swamp bou-bou, red-knobbed coot, brown-hooded kingfisher and the African fish eagle are never far away.
RiverDance lodge is owner managed and staffed by employees from the community .
- The Okavango River boasts over 70 species of fish, attracting anglers from far and wide. Tiger fish, bream, barbel, pike and squeaker can be caught from the riverbanks or from small fishing vessels on a 'catch and release' basis.
- Sunset Cruise
- An unforgettable cruise on the mighty Okavango River to experience a sunrise or sunset is recommended.
- Mokoro Trips
- The more adventurous might like to be poled around the Kavango River waterways by a dug-out canoe. These mokoro's are ideal drifting around in creatures great and small in and around the riverbanks on in the water.
- Peer through River Dance's own telescope in search of Orion the Seven Sisters and other constellations.
24km west of the town of Divundu turn north at the Shadikongoro turn-off. Proceed 3.6km till you reach the t-junction (road sign Shadikongoro to your right, Mbambi to your left, turn left towards Mbambi and drive for 400 meters, then turn right and drive one and a half kilometers to RiverDance Lodge
An upmarket lodge and spa on the banks of the Kavango River. The only traditional luxury lodge on this stretch of river
A well run lodge offering good facilities situated close to the town of Rundu
A few kilometers east of Rundu a nice functional lodge that more than adequately serves as an overnight stop while travelling through the Kavango and Zambezi region. The rooms, bar and restaurant area offer lovely views of the Kavango River.
Situated on the banks of the river (hence the name) in Rundu
Situated close to the Mahangu Park in west Caprivi - this is an excellent stop-over between Namibia, Maun (in Botswana) and the Victoria Falls
A rustic river side campsite and lodge offering excellent value for money. A lively bar and restaurant ensures this appeals to the younger or more socially inclined traveller
Close to Popa Falls and the Mahango Reserve this lodge offers stunning river views
Refreshingly, and surprisingly for the area, this lodge does not have the word 'River' as part of its name. Do not be misled it is situated on the banks of the river opposite the Caprivi Game Park (Bwabwata National Park)
Close to the Popa Falls (a series of rapids on the Kavango River), this rest camp was renovated in 2013
on the Kavango River banks this lodge offers plenty of water based activities
Near the village of Divundu, this small but wonderfully managed lodge is a perennial favourite of ours. Lovely wooden chalets, with large decks overlook the river. Those wanting to experience the river can choose from fishing and sunset river cruises
On a beautiful plot of indigenous plants and trees overlooking the river
One of the best lodges for birders visiting Namibia - but also great for fishing, chilling or generally becoming part of the family (the family consists of a host of creatures including goats, otters and guinefowls all lovingly adopted by the owners)
A small lodge a short distance west of Rundu. The rooms have river views and guests can choose from a range of activities
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.