Wolwedans Private Camp
NamibRand - Namibia
The Wolwedans Private Camp is situated on the magnificent NamibRand Nature Reserve in Namibia. The Private Camp is situated in the quiet seclusion of an idyllic valley. This splendid Suite caters for two guests and is ideal for honeymooners or individuals seeking privacy and solitude.
The lodges and camps on the Reserve are limited to 20 beds each. The park is governed by a strict code of ethics, and the number of guests is restricted, in theory, that every bed must be surrounded by 1000 hectares of nature. In layman's terms, this is the equivalent of every guest at Wolwedans per 1,000,000 square meters of wilderness. This luxury of space makes the Reserve the pristine destination it is today.
Private Camp offers two spacious en-suite bedrooms, with mosquito nets and a safe on site to secure valuables. There is also 'Sala' to sit back and enjoy the surroundings, a number of sundowner decks and the central lounge, combining a study, living room, dining area and a fully equipped kitchen. This camp is well-suited for 2 couples or for a family of 4/5. A chef and a butler/housekeeper are in attendance, mainly at meal times.
Its open-plan design allows uninterrupted views of the environment. The Private Camp is designed to enjoy the complete peace and silence, that the area affords. Guests can get away from it all it one of the most enchanting landscapes in Africa.
Activities include morning or afternoon drives, full-day safari picnics in the wild, one or two half-day excursions, sundowners on the dunes or dinners by candlelight. Additionally scenic flights, including hot-air ballooning, complete with champagne breakfast, are a popular activity giving pilots and passengers alike, a birds-eye view of the Diamond Coast and Sossusvlei.
It is the philosophy of the Wolwedans to be more than just a collection of camps. In their own words ' it's ethos lies in setting an example in responsible tourism, the empowerment of its employees and its commitment to the conservation of NamibRand Nature Reserve.'
Parents with young children are very welcome to stay at the Private Camp.
- Sundowner drives
- 1-2 hours duration travelling about 10 km into the dunes where drinks will be served to enhance the wonderful sunsets. The return drive is in the dark and brings you back just in time for dinner. Try out one sunset in the dunes and one at the lodge/camp
- Morning or afternoon drives
- cover a distance of about 40-50 km and take 3-four hours. Afternoon scenic drives are often combined with sunset in the dunes.
- Day drives
- a truly memorable excursion. Covering a distance of about 120 km it offers the highest degree of diversity as well as a better understanding of the dimensions of the NamibRand Conservancy. Also a delicious picnic lunch is served in the middle of nowhere! The day drive leaves after breakfast and returns approximately an hour before sunset.
- Scenic Flights
- Scenic flights are a popular activity at Wolwedans. Commencing during the late afternoon, and giving you a birds-eye view of the Diamond Coast and Sossusvlei this is a truly exhilarating and once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- The perfect combination of the starkness of Sossusvlei and the wild beauty of NamibRand provides the perfect backdrop for amateur and professional photographers alike. The incredible and abundant contrasts of colour and form in the landscapes will give ample opportunity for the perfect shot.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
The NamibRand Nature Reserve is situated about 400 km south-west of Windhoek close to Sossusvlei and can be reached with any car. The driving time from Windhoek, Swakopmund, Lüderitz and Keetmanshoop is approx. five to six hours (traveling at leisure). We recommend a two to three night stay at the Wolwedans portfolio of camps, arriving for lunch or at least in the early afternoon to join the afternoon scenic drive. Should you miss this drive, you will still go on a day-tour the next morning. However, please plan to arrive at least two hours before sunset.
- Coming from the North
From Windhoek you travel South via Rehoboth, Kobos, Klein Aub, Rietoog and Buellspoort (B 1, C 24, 47, D 1206) onto the D 854. Where you intercept the D36 turn left and after some 5-km's turn right onto the D 845. Travel some 16-km's and turn left onto the C 27 (was D826). You stay on the C 27 (was D826) heading South until you reach the first NamibRand signboard. Carry on straight and remain on this road for approx. 45 km until you will find the Wolwedans gate on the right hand side. Follow the signs to the Wolwedans farmhouse/reception, which is another 20 km's from the gate. From here you will be transferred to the Wolwedans Dune Camp or Wolwedans Dune Lodge. Please do note leave the main road!
Coming from Windhoek you can alternatively choose the scenic routes via Gamsberg Pass, Spreetshoogte Pass or Remhoogte Pass all ending at Solitaire. From Solitaire you head South via D 36 and 845 to C 27 (was D826).
From Swakopmund or Walvis Bay you will travel on C 14 and D 36 via Solitaire to the D 845 and C 27 (was D826). Coming from Sesriem, head South on the D 826 until you reach the Wolwedans gate. Note not to enter the D 845 by driving straight on but turn right to continue on C 27 (was D826).
- Coming from the south
- No matter where you come from, to the west of Maltahöhe the D 827 meets the C 27 (was D826). From this point continue North on the C 27 (was D826) past the BP filling station for approx. 30-km's where you will find the Wolwedans gate on the left hand side. Follow the description above to the Wolwedans farmhouse.
This small luxury camp is the latest addition to the Wolwedans Lodge collection. It is situated around 45km south of the other lodges and therefore offers an insight into a different aspect of the NamibRand Nature Reserve
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Dunes Camp is the simplest of the establishments on the Namib Rand reserve. Accommodation comes in the form of dome tents each with own bathroom.
Wooden units built on platforms overlooking the NamibRand Reserve. As with all the Wolwedans properties expect some of the best views in Namibia, great food and excellent service
An upmarket extension to the Dunes Lodge
Ever fancied your own house surrounded by nothing but the Namib Desert? This luxurious property gives you just that, and way more
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.