near the Windhoek International Airport | Namibia
Onjala Lodge is set against a mountainside in a small, private nature reserve with exceptional views over the Orumbungu Valley, an environment where resident game roam freely. The relatively close proximity of the lodge to both Windhoek and Hosea Kutako International Airport suits individual and self-drive tourists for that all important first or last few days spent in Namibia.
The owners of Onjala Lodge pride themselves on their environmentally friendly systems. In a country noted for low rainfall and abundant sunshine, water recycling and renewable energy contribute enormously to sustainable tourism. Their own water treatment plant supplies water for irrigation and flush toilets and the majority of the lodge's hot water supply is generated by a solar heating system. Natural stone has been used in the construction of the lodge, creating character that blends in remarkably well into the hills of the surrounding landscape. Guests relax and unwind in the sheltered courtyard which surrounds a sparkling pool with waterfall. A second pool is located on a nearby hilltop where 360° views and memorable sunsets are guaranteed from a viewing platform.
A qualified beautician and skincare therapist is on hand. Pampering yourself with treatments and massages in the Zen Sations Spa can revive and invigorate those aching muscles after exercise or flight. A luxurious spa bath and revitalizing steam shower accentuate your specialized desert therapeutics.
Depending on the weather meals are served either inside the main building or in the open-sided, thatched restaurant. Expect their experienced catering team to serve up hearty breakfasts, a tasty light lunch and a delicious 3-course evening meal using Namibian game and vegetables. A solar cooker is often used.
Accommodation is offered in 3 sites. The main lodge, the bush and Panorama suites.
- The main lodge: There are 11 split-level, en-suite rooms. A lounge, fireplace and 2 balconies provide courtyard, garden and pool/waterfall views.
- The bush (bungalows): Guests desiring a higher level of privacy, yet closer to nature than in the main lodge, should stay in one of 4 free-standing bush bungalows, each with 2 separate units. A large bathroom, air-conditioning, wardrobe, fireplace and wrap-around verandah are standard.
- Panorama Suites: A further 4 stand alone Panorama Suites offer additional luxury and privacy. Each thatched chalets has a spacious sleeping area, lounge, dressing area and a large bathroom. A fireplace, air-conditioning and a mini-bar are standard.
Giraffe, wildebeest, kudu, warthog, ostrich, zebra and occasionally and with a fair amount of luck leopard can all be found roaming the Onjala game reserve. Interesting information concerning Namibia's ecology and biodiversity matters are explained by means of information tables strategically placed along the walking trails and on guided activities. Permanent guide Pieter, a resident of the area for over 20 years, accompanies all guided walks and game drives.
- Game Drive:
- A late afternoon drive around the reserve in an open-sided safari vehicle offers excellent game viewing and photographic openings.
- Botanical Walk:
- Many visitors to Namibia already possess a strong attachment for nature. An early morning botanical walk will enhance your enjoyment and knowledge of the local flora and fauna. (Comfortable walking shoes are recommended for this activity).
- Guided Horse Riding:
- Participants with basic riding skills who feel comfortable at a canter can enjoy this adventure on the Onjala Reserve.
- Mountain Biking:
- A flying expedition on one of the lodge's bikes are a great way to explore the mountainous terrain. Cycling off-road is permitted or you can ride along the marked paths.
- Hiking Trails:
- There are a number of marked trails which link up with the network of farm roads. On occasions you might catch a glimpse of some wildlife rummaging around in the bush.
- The clear and cloudless Namibian skies attract astronomers amateur and professional alike. So step outside at Onjala Lodge and visit their stationary K-way celestial telescope established on a viewing platform. Assistance to recognize specific stars and constellations is at hand.
- Crimson-breasted shrikes, secretary birds, Verreaux's eagle and the endangered lappet-faced vulture circle the skies around the lodge. Many other species can be observed on your game drive or hike.
- Romantic bush weddings can be catered for at Onjala Lodge. Easy accessibility from Windhoek and Hosea Kutako International Airport allow friends and family the opportunity to celebrate your special day. Apart from the striking views and a superb backdrop for your wedding photographs, the best man can fulfil his duties by taking your new mother-in-law to the airport before you sneak away to one of the Panorama Suites for that special first night as man and wife.
From Hosea Kutako International Airport: Turn left onto the B 6 towards Gobabis / Seeis. After approximately 10 km turn left (after the Seeis bridge) onto the D 1502. Continue for 11 km before turning right onto the M 53 towards Steinhausen. After another 14 km you will reach the signposted entrance to Onjala Lodge on the right.
From Windhoek: Drive east on Sam Nujoma Drive, following the signs to the Airport / Gobabis. After leaving Windhoek on the B6 travel 16 km before turing left onto the gravel road M 53. At the crossing with the D 2102 continue on the M 53 towards Steinhausen. After about 42 km the entrance to Onjala Lodge is on your right.
A privately owned game farm, with a good variety of wildlife just a short distance south of Windhoek.
Newly built lodge in a small well stocked game reserve west of Windhoek
This lodge is very popular amongst those seeking leopard and cheetah viewing close to Windhoek. Regular feedings guarantee great sightings and photographic opportunities
A relaxing lodge in the Eros Mountains (named after a local fruit and not the goddess of love) around 30km north of the city
Opposite the Windhoek International Airport, close enough to be extremely convenient but far enough away that planes are not a distraction. Great for those arriving late or leaving early, as cuts out the 45km drive from Windhoek/
One of Namibia's most popular spas with the added bonus of top game viewing.
Between Windhoek and the International Airport lies this interesting cattle & game farm
family friendly, mid range lodge in rural location
a wildlife sanctuary offering quality accommodation in a tranquil environment
large lodge on a large well stocked game farm, lion feeding included
On a large private game farm close to the Windhoek International Airport, ideal for those not wanting to travel into Windhoek before or after their arrival in Namibia
Offering horse riding, spa treatments and two swimming pools, this is a good family lodge
Close to the B1 road around 30 kilometers south of the city this lodge offers a good one night stopover for wary travellers
a few kilometers east of Windhoek this lodge offers unsurpassed views of the city from a setting in the Auas Mountains
20km north of the city, this tented lodge offers a quality self catering experience surrounded by the veld and wildlife
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.