Onguma Tented Camp
Lodges near Etosha - Namibia
Onguma Tented Camp is set inside the Onguma Reserve, bordering on eastern Etosha. The reserve covers more than 20,000 hectares of protected land and wildlife and also includes Onguma The Fort, Onguma Bush Camp, and Onguma Tree Top Camp. Predators such as lion, cheetah, leopard are common residents of the area and black rhino have recently been introduced.
Onguma Tented Camp offers an exclusive safari experience, in 7 exquisitely styled tents. You can view the waterhole from the restaurant, your very own person al fresco shower, or even from your bedroom! The seven tents provide private and exclusive accommodation. All have their own bath, shower and toilet, a fan, tea/coffee station, and a room safe. Mosquito nets are fitted to the windows and doors.
There is a bar, restaurant and lounge. For breakfast there is a choice between the buffet or a typical English Breakfast. Lunch consists of sandwiches, pasta or salad. Dinner is a set 4 course meal, with a choice of red or white meat. In front of the dining room is an open boma beneath the ancient leadwood tree. Comfy chairs and foot stools are available around a fire-pit with a view of the waterhole. Reminisce about the day's activities with fellow travellers whilst familiarizing yourself with the Namibian night sky. Daily activities and nightly rituals can be observed at the nearby watering hole. Giraffe, wildebeest, many species of antelope, zebra and occasionally lion visit the waterhole.
Relax in the warm waters of the rim flow pool, whilst enjoying an ice cold drink.
In the Namibian summer months, thousands of Namibian bird species migrate to the wetlands created by the seasonal rains and ephemeral river systems. It’s a bird-watcher’s paradise! The lodge offers guided trips into Etosha National Park, a sundowner and a night drive on the Onguma reserve.
Onguma Tree Tented Camp offers special discount for stays of 3 nights and longer, please enquire on booking. Unfortunately no children under 12 are permitted.
- Game drives Etosha National Park
- Although Onguma Reserve boasts its own wildlife, organized safaris into the park can be arranged on a daily basis from here. There are many waterholes close to Namutoni Restcamp including Chudop, a favourite resting place for lion. Hyena and eland are often seen here as well.
- Game drives Onguma Reserve
- Participate in a traditional early morning or late afternoon safari on the reserve. The resident black rhino enjoy browsing in bush and thickets and lion & leopard also roam freely around Onguma Reserve.
- Night drives Onguma Reserve
- An opportunity for an after dark experience as mammals and birds scurry around the undergrowth should be included in your trip. (Weather permitting).
- Bush walks
- If you are reasonably fit and fancy an early morning walk around the reserve for around 2.5hrs, then enjoy the tranquillity and mood of the bush on a guided bush walk. An experienced armed ranger will accompany you. All kinds of animal activity are happening at this time including nocturnal animals scurry to their daytime retreats and predators finishing off a night time kill.
- Rhino research drives
- Visit specific waterholes of the reserve to participate in camera data collection and also track black rhino. Learn of the difficulty of black rhino conservation on your late afternoon game drive.
- Please note
- As Onguma Tented Camp is unfenced, no children under the age of 12 years are permitted. All game drives are conducted on open 4x4 vehicles.
A blend of African excitement & luxury are the order of the day at this luxury lodge
Small mid-price lodge close to the park gate - situated of the private Fischer's pan reserve
Large lodge situated at the Namutoni entrance gate to Etosha. Excellent facilities but expect to share these with large group tours
The latest edition to the Mushara Collection offers mid-range tented accommodation
Good accommodation at a reasonable price, close to the park entrance
Small intimate tented camp built on raised platforms, good for privacy and a 'luxury outdoor' feel
Inside the park borders, built around Fort Namutoni. Recently upgraded to appeal to more 'up-market' visitors
Newly renovated, good mid market option for self-drive tourists
A tented camp just outside Etosha
Luxury lodge built around a fort on Fischer's Pan. Easy access to the park
Small exclusive camp, built on raised platforms - a popular option with those seeking an exclusive new perspective
The first new accommodation to be built inside the Etosha National Park in over 30 years. The camp sits on a wooden deck on an isolated peninsula overlooking the pan
Very exclusive private suites, all mod-cons and luxuries
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.