Okonjima Bush Suite
The Okonjima Bush Suite, is a secluded, private suite, that overlooks a waterhole. Set amongst the Acacia thorn veld with sandstone Omboroko Mountains in the background, it is a luxury cottage in the African Bush. The property on which the lodge is situated is home to the AfriCat Foundation which is dedicated to housing orphan animals, cheetah and leopard rescue and release, youth education and research projects.
The Okonjima Bush Suite is only bookable as a whole unit - the rooms are not rented to separate parties. It is ideal for a family or small group of 4 people. The living space boasts a spacious lounge, a dining area under a roof, or outside under the natural shade, an open, wood-burning fireplace, wine and soft drink cooler, with an endless supply of ice from a double door refrigerator!
There are 2 separate, luxury, en-suite bedrooms, each with 2 queen-size beds, air-conditioning/heating, a roof-fan, private safe, bath, an inside and outside shower, a private toilet and bidet, and a ladies dressing-table. It is also equipped with Wi-Fi wireless or dial-up Internet facilities, as well as cell phone reception.
Many guests enjoy a night under the stars, all made possible as 1 of the wheeled, queen-size beds, can be rolled out onto the terrace. There is a large swimming pool, overlooking the bush and mountains, some 13m long. Meals are prepared in the private kitchen, by a personal chef.
Specially assigned guides and game-driving vehicles, will be on call to accompany guests on any activities, which are the same as the main lodge, and commence at 15h00 in the winter, and 16h00 in the summer.
They include The Bushman Trail, which offers the family an opportunity to experience a day in the life of a Bushman. Along an easy walking trail, highlighted with information on the way, the art of making traditional artefact's can be learned, as well as how the San adapted and survived in such an unforgiving, wilderness environment.
There are other guided and self-guided walking trails, some up to 8kms in length available, for those who prefer to enjoy their time in the solitude of the wild.
Cheetah and leopard can be seen, from a hide or radio-tracked from a game-viewing vehicle. They are monitored daily and can be tracked in the rehabilitation park on the leopard trail. There are many photographic opportunities in the area, and some of the cheetah and leopard are unable to be released back into the wild, due to injury or being orphaned.
Unfortunately, no children under the age of 8 years are permitted at the Bush Suite.
- Visit the Africat Project area and meet some of the cheetah or accompany our guides as they monitor the progress of the cheetahs in the Tusk Rehabilitation camp. Okonjima is home to over forty cheetahs, many of whom were separated from their mothers before they learnt how to survive on their own. The Rehabilitation Camp will give these cheetahs an opportunity to learn survival skills such as hunting in a closely monitored environment. Successful cheetahs will be relocated to parks and game farms.
- Cheetah Tracking on Foot
- Cheetahs within the rehabilitation are radio tracked on foot, sightings of the cats is not guaranteed. Leopards - Wild leopards are fed every night and guests can observe these secretive predators from the safety of a hide. Okonjima is also the site of a leopard monitoring project with the resident leopard collared and tracked to determine the number of leopard in the area, their movements and activities. This information will be used to better understand leopard found on Namibian farmland and reduce the conflict between leopards and farmers.
- Bushman Trail
- Catch a glimpse of a day in the life of a bushman. Learn how the bushman made rope, fire and traps and lived in harmony with nature.
- Mountain Walk
- For the energetic, early-riser, we offer a guided mountain walk which includes identification of animal spoor, information on the local people and spectacular views
- Bird Watching
- Over 300 bird species have been identified at Okonjima. Two spacious hides are within walking distance of the lodge and we now offer a hide situated at a recently established vulture restaurant a short drive from the lodge.
- Walks and Trails
- A variety of walks ranging in difficulty from easy to quite strenuous are available. The sundowner walk is usually done in the evening after the cheetah activity and is a favourite with many of our guests.
- Night Hide
- Ever wondered what those noises are at night. Guests can choose after dinner to visit a hide and observe nocturnal animals such as honey badger and porcupine as they go about their business.
A small private safari lodge north of Otjiwarongo
Lodging located on the property used by the Heetah Conservation Fund, this is an excellent option if you want to learn about cheetah conservation
A friendly well run guest house in the town of Otjiwarongo
Self catering units on a large, well stocked, private game reserve
Mid sized hotel in Otjiwarongo offering both lodge & hotel style accommodation. All the usual facilities including a pool, air-conditioned rooms and a restaurant
A large, well stocked, privately owned game reserve. Excellent for sightings of wild dogs and other endangered species
Situated to the north of the Waterberg Plateau (which is unusual as most lodges are toward the south) this highly recommenced lodge offers spacious comfortable rooms and plenty of activities
One of the oldest lodges in Namibia, Mount Etjo has seen several historic events including the signing of an agreement pivotal to Namibia gaining independence. Still offers good quality accommodation and game drives
Without a doubt one of the best lodges in Namibia, add leopard and cheetah viewing to stunning accommodation and well prepared meals and this place is a complete winner
A private two bed room suite, comes complete with own swimming pool, lounge and kitchen. Private chef and meals can be arranged or guests can visit Bush Camp
The 'entry level' camp at Okonjima offers all the same great cats experiences as the other lodges in the portfolio. A one of a type not to be missed Namibian experience
Large private complex, includes all modern luxuries. Enjoyed by international movie stars and corporate moguls - but available to any group wanting to stay!
a variety of accommodation options - ranging from large self catering villas to double rooms. Just a few kilometers south of Otjiwarongo
A large game farm which numbers the rare White Rhino amongst its species.
Small 8 room guest farm with an emphasis on conserving the natural eco-systems
The NWR run camp situated on the slopes of the plateau. Fairly standard and slightly overpriced accommodation, the old police station which has been converted to a restaurant is a scenic (if not taste) highlight.
Excellent choice for walking and visiting the highlights of the area
On the same property aw the Waterberg Wilderness Lodge but situated higher up the mountain offering excellent views
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.