Neuras Wine Estate
Fine wine on the edge of the Namib Desert - Namibia
Neuras Wine & Wildlife Estate is a totally unique concept in Namibia, a wine oasis in the desert. It is located on a 14,400ha farm with much savannah grassland and stony desert, set beautifully in the foothills of the spectacular Naukluft Mountains on the edge of the Namib Desert. This unusual destination is only 80km from the stunning red dunes of Sossusvlei, making it the ideal stopover for individual and self-drive tourists on their way to the visually dramatic star-shaped sandy mountains. Many visitors to the region pop-in for lunch and to wine taste.
The first of Neuras's vines were laid in 1997 and in 2001 wine was produced. Today some 3,000 bottles of critically acclaimed Neuras Shiraz and the Namib Red, which is a Shiraz Merlot blend are realized each year. The wine is not 'commercially available'. All profits from Neuras's wine sales and tourism are returned directly towards charitable projects concerning the protection and conservation of endangered and threatened carnivores. This is one of only a handful of true 'Desert Vineyards' with other examples scattered around the world.
A continental or plated English breakfast, lunch or a 3-course dinner are available in the restaurant. Lunch is also availabe to day visitors, often complemented with wine tasting. Guest are welcome to cool down in the pool, especially after your day's drive or activity. Neuras is also an ideal venue for that special occasion, notably weddings.
The cellar was built by owner Allan using materials such as stone, sand and wood provided by local contractors. Neuras means place of abandoned water.
Guests stay in rooms shaded by large acacia and ebony trees. Linen and towels are provided. There are:
- Rustic Chalets: 6 x double en-suite rooms with a double or 2 x 3/4 beds.
Self-catering Luxury Units: 2 x Luxury Units each equipped with a fridge, microwave, stove, braai, cutlery, crockery and glassware.
- Unit 1: Has 2 x 3/4 beds, a sleeper couch and a bathroom with a shower and bath.
- Unit 2: Has 2 bedrooms each with 2 x 3/4 beds and 1 bathroom with shower only.
- Tented Camp: 6 x Tented Rooms with twin beds. There are no en-suite facilities but 3 x shared shower/toilets.
Cheetah, spotted hyena, leopard, mountain zebra, kudu, baboons, ostrich, warthog, jackal, tok tok beetles, secretary bird, mice, lizards and snakes reside around the estate. And the activities here will suit hikers, geologists, wildlife and (of course!) wine lovers.
- Wine Tour & Tasting
- Take a guided tour through the vineyard, cellars and fountains followed by wine tasting/cheese platter. Duration: 1hr.
- Canyon Tour
- Visit the Neuras 'Honey Canyon' with the opportunity to learn how the famous San Bushmen lived off the land. Explore one of Namibia's longest caves rounded off by a viewing of the rare 'Elephant's Foot' plant. Later enjoy a sundowner drive to view the magnificent sunset.
- Harvest Festival
- Join this fun occasion around February time; wine tasting in the desert!
- Filming & Photography
- There is much to see and do in and around Neuras. Filming and Photography of all types and standards are welcome and encouraged on the estate.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
The settlement of Bullsport is marked on nearly every map, however it consists of little more than this friendly guest farm. The owners are welcoming and eager to share their Namibian experiences. Great for hiking and horse riding.
A small, budget friendly, owner operated rest camp, with individual bungalows & campsites. Great for those wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life
Located in the mountainous Naukluft section of the Namib Naukluft Park, this is an ideal base for hikers or those wanting to relax at the crystal clear rock pools that amazingly exist in the desert environment
One of the finest desert wine estates in the world can be found on the edge of the Namib Desert. The estate offers accommodation & wine tasting tours
A small lodge on the banks of the Tsauchab River - an excellent place for walking and enjoying the surrounding scenery. Visitors are welcomed by an amazing arrary of metal sculptures
Another excellent place for hiking, in the Tsaris Mountains. If you want a genuinely warm welcome at a special lodge then this is an excellent choice. Zebra River can be used as a base for visits to the dunes at Sossusvlei, but is best used to relax and walk on the massive lodge property
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.