Ndhovu Safari Lodge
Kavango - Namibia
Ndhovu Safari Lodge is located in a peaceful riverine setting, opposite the Bwabwata National Park. Elephant and hippo often congregate in the water to the front of the lodge. This is also the ideal place to stopover between Etosha National Park and Victoria Falls.
The focus here is on boat trips, fishing excursions, game drives and village tours. Wildlife enthusiasts and photographers head for The Mahango Game Reserve. It is only 2 kms away and it's typical riverine and swampland habitat attract buffalo, red lechwe and sable antelope.
Wine and dine in the open-sided thatched Lapa extended with a wooden deck onto the Okavango River. This allows for frequent and memorable game viewing and photographic opportunities. Move safely around the lodge courtesy of lit walkways. It is not uncommon for hippo to prance around the lodge at night.
Also located in the Lapa, is the kitchen and dining areas. Guests can enjoy a healthy breakfast, light lunch, and the chef will inform customers of the buffet dinner fare. After-dinner cultural dancing is also a favourite here.
The curio shop sells locally made arts and crafts, including hand-painted dinner sets and branded T-shirts. There is also a small library, complete with old reference books to read, whilst relaxing and unwinding on 1 of the 2 comfortable leather sofa's.
Accommodation is in luxury safari tents on the ground or above the water. There are:
- Luxury tents: 10 x single or double units on the ground with it's own en-suite bathroom/shower and mosquito nets. .
- River Tent: 1 x single or double tent on the water with similar facilities to the safari tents. The River Tent is for the slightly more adventurous and is anchored to the bank giving it a slightly boaty feel. It has it's own small private deck ideal for sunbathing, sundowners, or a spot of tiger fishing.
Activities at the lodge include sundowner cruises, fishing excursions, village tours, a game drive into the Mahangu Game Reserve, and a Tsodillo Hills day trip, can also be organized. The birdlife in the area is an ornithologists dream, with well over 400 different species recorded in the region.
Transfers from The Bagani airstrip, (only 10mins drive from the lodge) and to the Shakawe airstrip in Botswana, can also be arranged.
Ndhovu Safari Lodge - a truly memorable African bush experience!
- Houseboat safari
- Nature experienced at its best on a 2 or 3 day boat safari. Elephants and hippo, game and birds abound in the striking riverine environment.
- Sundowner cruises
- For some this is the best time of day to relax with a drink and a snack, catching up on the day's activities with fellow travellers as the spectacular sun takes a final bow for the day.
- Fishing excursions
- Angling is a fun day out with many species lurking underneath. Catch and release.
- Cultural tours
- A fascinating insight into the daily routines of traditional village life.
- A guided birding game drive presents many occasions to view some of the 400 different species that have been observed and recorded in the region.
- Mahango Game Reserve
- The ideal opportunity to view elephant, red lechwe, buffalo and sable antelope. As the Mahango Park entrance is only 2km from Ndhovu Lodge, there are no long, boring drives before you get to your safari destination, with exciting game viewing opportunities in the riverine and swampland habitats awaiting.
An upmarket lodge and spa on the banks of the Kavango River. The only traditional luxury lodge on this stretch of river
A well run lodge offering good facilities situated close to the town of Rundu
A few kilometers east of Rundu a nice functional lodge that more than adequately serves as an overnight stop while travelling through the Kavango and Zambezi region. The rooms, bar and restaurant area offer lovely views of the Kavango River.
Situated on the banks of the river (hence the name) in Rundu
Situated close to the Mahangu Park in west Caprivi - this is an excellent stop-over between Namibia, Maun (in Botswana) and the Victoria Falls
A rustic river side campsite and lodge offering excellent value for money. A lively bar and restaurant ensures this appeals to the younger or more socially inclined traveller
Close to Popa Falls and the Mahango Reserve this lodge offers stunning river views
Refreshingly, and surprisingly for the area, this lodge does not have the word 'River' as part of its name. Do not be misled it is situated on the banks of the river opposite the Caprivi Game Park (Bwabwata National Park)
Close to the Popa Falls (a series of rapids on the Kavango River), this rest camp was renovated in 2013
on the Kavango River banks this lodge offers plenty of water based activities
Near the village of Divundu, this small but wonderfully managed lodge is a perennial favourite of ours. Lovely wooden chalets, with large decks overlook the river. Those wanting to experience the river can choose from fishing and sunset river cruises
On a beautiful plot of indigenous plants and trees overlooking the river
One of the best lodges for birders visiting Namibia - but also great for fishing, chilling or generally becoming part of the family (the family consists of a host of creatures including goats, otters and guinefowls all lovingly adopted by the owners)
A small lodge a short distance west of Rundu. The rooms have river views and guests can choose from a range of activities
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.