Tiras Mountains - southern Namibia
Farm Namtib is situated at the edge of the Namib Desert in the Tiras Mountains. It is a privately owned biosphere reserve, covering an area of some 16, 400ha. Farming and human activities are adapted here, to suit Southern Namibia's arid climate. The fascinating landscape of the farm, offers an abundance of breathtaking views and hosts a wealth of fauna and flora.
Namtib Biosphere Reserve is situated on one of the most scenic routes in southern Namibia. The farm is ideally located between Fish River Canyon and Sossusvlei / Sesriem or Lüderitzbucht and Sossusvlei / Sesriem.
The Namtib Biosphere Reserve, allows guests to relax and unwind, whilst at the same time having the opportunity to get to know how a typical Namibian farm operates. Here you can discover a mine of interesting information about the Namib Desert, the Tiras Mountains and the fauna and flora of Southern Namibia.
There is a dining room and reception in the main building. Although there is no bar, guests can order drinks from here. A set menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided and vegetarians can be catered for.
Namtib Desert Lodge provides typical farmstyle service, all under the auspices of the Theile family .Accommodation is in separate bungalows. A tea & coffee facility is available in the hall. Overnight in:
- Double Rooms: An en-suite bathroom, twin beds and mosquito nets are standard.
- Single Rooms: 2 Single Rooms have their own bathroom and facilities similar to the Double Rooms.
- Family Room: 1 Family Room has twin beds for the adults and bunk beds for the children. The facilities are similar to the Single/Double Rooms.
Activities offered at Namtib Desert Lodge include afternoon nature drives, guided hiking trails and bird watching.
Namtib Desert Lodge offers a genuine Namibian farmstyle experience, right in the in the middle of the vast Namib desert.
- Nature Drives
- has recently obtained a new vehicle for conducting nature drives. True to Namtib's philosophy, the vehicle has been individually designed and the result is a one-of-a-kind nature drive vehicle.
- You can take a guided or unguided walk and climb the mountain behind the farm.
- Guided Desert Hike and a Botanical Trail
- Hike around the well-marked trail before breakfast.
- Due to the very low level of light pollution in this part of Namibia the night sky is wonderful. Unlike some other lodges Namtib does not have a telescope available for guests use - but you will still be able to marvel at the sheer number & brightness of the stars!
A working farm in southern Namibia. Offers an insight into sheep farming is this arid region
The completely off his rocker 'Baron' von Wolf built this castle in the middle of nowhere. Rumours abound about this gun toting, cross dressing loon! Accommodation is available within the castle and a well shaded campsite is also on offer
This lovely guest farm offers self catering accommodation on a property adjacent to the Duwisib Castle
The settlement of Helmeringhausen consists of little more than this hotel and a petrol station. The area is a popular stop-off between the dunes at Sossusvlei and southern Namibia
On the scenic D707 road and bordering on the Namib Naukluft park, lies this spectacular property. Accommodation is offered in a small tented camp or en-suite rooms at the old farmhouse
Formerly an Ostrich farm the lodge property is now largely dedicated to Namibian wildlife. The lodge itself offers standard bed & breakfast rooms as well as self catering chalets
Situated in the Tiras mountains, an owner run guest farm that offers a warm welcome and even better scenery
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.