Namib Naukluft Lodge
Accommodation near Sossusvlei - Namibia
Namib Naukluft Lodge is situated between Solitaire and Sesriem. It is located on a private 13,000ha farm, which has been a private nature reserve since 1999. It is set against a backdrop of amazing granite hills.
The Tsauchab is a dry riverbed that fills in times of heavy rain. Approximately 100kms long, it is known especially for the portion in which it flows through Sesriem Canyon. As it is in the Namib desert, the Tsauchab carries water only when rain falls in the Naukluft Mountains and runs off into the riverbed. During these rains, the Tsauchab becomes a rapid-running, strong river within a matter of hours.
Namib Naukluft Lodge has a main building, with both indoor and outdoor dining areas. Breakfast is served buffet style, and both lunch and a 3 course dinner can be ordered from set menu. Traditional meals are also served in the 'boma,' around an open-fire. Valuables can be locked up in the safe at office/reception area. Guests can take a welcome splash or a dip in the lodge's swimming pool, before or after a day's activities or a long drive.
Accommodation is in 16 tastefully furnished rooms, including 2 family rooms. They all have en-suite bathrooms, a telephone and a fan. Each unit has a private, spacious patio with a spectacular views of the surrounding areas.
There are 2 main activities. The Sossusvlei Excursion and the Naukluft Hiking Trail. The Sossusvlei trips run on a daily basis if required. The tour is conducted by an English speaking driver /guide in a 4x4 vehicle and after an early morning snack, the tour will arrive at Sesriem and the Park's gate before sunrise. Guests can climb a dune over 200m high. The star-shaped dunes are ideal for photographing as the sun rises. A full breakfast will then be served under shady Camelthorn trees, before moving on to Sesriem Canyon and then back to the Lodge for lunch.
There is a 2 hr hike into the mountains from the lodge, guided or if preferred, guests can trek by themselves. The trail is marked and a map and a radio will be provided for safety purposes.
In the late afternoon, the lodge has a sundowner drive to the natural marble mountains near the lodge. In the evening guests can listen to the sounds of the barking gecko and gaze at the fascinating star-lite night skies.
- Sossusvlei Excursion
- On a daily basis, an excursion to the popular dunes at Sossusvlei is offered. The tour is conducted by an English speaking driver /guide in a 4 x 4 overland vehicle. Secure your seat and book in advance. An early morning rise, with a snack before leaving, enables you to arrive at Sesriem, the Park's gate, at around sunrise. Enjoy this unique desert scenery with some of the highest dunes in the world. The dynamic and star-shaped dunes are ideal for the keen photographer. Climb one of the over 300 m high dunes and you will be overwhelmed by the view. A full breakfast is served under shady Camelthorn trees. Visit the Sesriem Canyon before returning to the Lodge for lunch.
- Naukluft Hiking Trail
- If you are fit and active, we offer a 2 hour hiking trail in the mountains of this 13,000 ha private nature reserve. Your can be accompanied by a guide or walk it by yourself. The trail is accurately laid out, a map and a radio will ensure your safety during the hike
- Sundowner Drives
- In the late afternoon you may decide to join a drive to the natural marble mountains on the farm - in true Namibian style sunset is enjoyed with a refreshing drink
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Lovely rooms with rooftop terraces or a choice of campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both larger groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
A new addition on the same property as the Desert Homestead. Hiking & riding are popular activities here
Well equipped rooms with self catering kitchens only 5 kilometers from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Kitchen utensils can be rented on site
These rustic wooden cabins can only be reached as part of a guided walking trail originating at Namib Desert Lodge. perfect for those wanting to explore the desert on foot
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
This campsite offer the closest place to stay to the dunes - camping only
A combination of permanent structures and canvas make this an interesting choice for the budget conscious traveller
The only lodge inside the borders of the national park. Allows for extra early visits to the Sossusvlei dunes
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and top of the range guiding
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private veranda's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.