Near Windhoek - Namibia
The award winning N/a'ankuse Lodge and Wildlife Sanctuary is dedicated to the rehabilitation and preservation of orphaned and injured wildlife. This truly unique lodge is located on 1,500ha of former farmland, the perfect habitat for recovering lion, leopard and cheetah. View these magnificent cats on either a nature drive or carnivore feeding tour.
A stay here close to the slopes of a dolomite hill is a highlight for many on their Namibian holiday. Although the sanctuary is only 42kms east of Windhoek, the setting is amidst a natural savannah, riverine vegetation, lush grass plains and magnificent mountain views.
The main lodge building comprises of a bar and tranquil dining room area and kitchen, with stunning views of the surrounding environment. Their team of chefs will prepare a combination of mouthwatering European/African dishes, whether it's a hearty breakfast served in the dining room or outside in the garden, a delicious lunch or dinner served in the restaurant or under the stars. All dishes are prepared using fresh ingredients and home-made delicacies, complemented with fine wines from the bar.
The lodge provides a breathtaking backdrop for weddings and conferences as well. It is the perfect venue for that special day. The reception area seats up to 100 people, and there is a full catering and bar service, whilst still retaining that secluded, romantic feeling. For conferences and corporate events, up to 100 delegates can be housed in the main dining area.
Accommodation at Naankuse Lodge is availbale in:
- En-suite chalets: 6 x en-suite chalets offer a blend of rich ethnic decor, combined with modern luxury, embellished in soft earthy tones. Large twin beds, air-conditioning and private verandahs overlooking the bush veld are standard. Each unit has been sited to ensure a maximum view of the surrounds and total privacy.
- Villas: The 8 x villas offer a more rustic and ethnic atmosphere and are equipped with a self-catering kitchen, bedroom with air-conditioning, comfortable lounge and a dining area. Large glass windows allow for plenty of light inside and fantastic views of the bush.
The animal centre was set up to care for orphaned and injured animals and the less dangerous such as baboons, meerkats, mongoose and African wild cats, are looked after by volunteers from across the world, who pay to stay as working guests. There time is invaluable and plays an important role in the maintenance and building of new enclosures, feeding, grooming, as well as joining in the rescue and release of animals.
Threatened animals are rescued, and following a range of check-ups, fostering and attention, are then considered for relocating to other conservation friendly farms, with proper habitat and food chain being a top priority.
Even though long-term rehabilitation of animals is the main objective here, sadly not all of the animals are able to be released back into the wild. Only those that can't, remain. As the lodge provides a safe sanctuary for a number of lions, leopards, cheetah, wild dogs, caracals and baboons, (all within large purpose built enclosures) it goes without saying that the main activity at N/a'ankuse, is the carnivore feeding tour, which takes place daily at 11h00 and 15h00. Each tour lasts approximately two hours. The chance for amazing photographic opportunities should not be missed. Pre-booking of these tours is essential.
Nature walks, with an excellent chance of spotting small antelope, meerkats and vultures amongst a variety of bird species, can also be organized, as can their exciting bush picnics in surprise settings!
N/a'ankuse Lodge and Wildlife Sanctuary. Dedicated to the preservation and rehabilitation of injured and orphaned wildlife.
- Full carnivore feeding tours:
- The main activitiy at Naankuse. See lion, cheetah, baboon, African wild dog and caracal being fed in their purpose built sanctuary. Great opporunities for photography abound throughout this tour.
- Carnivore feeding tour 1:
- This feeding tour concentrates on lion, cheetah and baboons.
- Carnivore Feeding Tour 2:
- African wild dog, leopard and caracal can be observed on this feeding tour
- Nature walk:
- Take a walk with a guide or by yourselves. Free-roaming game include antelope and giraffe and there are a number of bird species in the area.
- Cheetah walk:
- Enjoy a guided early morning or late afternoon stroll with a cheetah. No children allowed.
- Caracal walk:
- A walk with a friendly caracal is a most unusual and enjoyable experience. Children are not permitted to go on this activity. You will be accommpanied by a guide.
- Hunting with San Bushmen:
- Take a walk with the San in the bush and learn of their hunter/gatherer and lifestyle skills.
- Behind the scenes with Marlice; Ancient San Skills Acadamy Visit, Ancient San Stories Under the Stars.
A privately owned game farm, with a good variety of wildlife just a short distance south of Windhoek.
Newly built lodge in a small well stocked game reserve west of Windhoek
This lodge is very popular amongst those seeking leopard and cheetah viewing close to Windhoek. Regular feedings guarantee great sightings and photographic opportunities
A relaxing lodge in the Eros Mountains (named after a local fruit and not the goddess of love) around 30km north of the city
Opposite the Windhoek International Airport, close enough to be extremely convenient but far enough away that planes are not a distraction. Great for those arriving late or leaving early, as cuts out the 45km drive from Windhoek/
One of Namibia's most popular spas with the added bonus of top game viewing.
Between Windhoek and the International Airport lies this interesting cattle & game farm
family friendly, mid range lodge in rural location
a wildlife sanctuary offering quality accommodation in a tranquil environment
large lodge on a large well stocked game farm, lion feeding included
On a large private game farm close to the Windhoek International Airport, ideal for those not wanting to travel into Windhoek before or after their arrival in Namibia
Offering horse riding, spa treatments and two swimming pools, this is a good family lodge
Close to the B1 road around 30 kilometers south of the city this lodge offers a good one night stopover for wary travellers
a few kilometers east of Windhoek this lodge offers unsurpassed views of the city from a setting in the Auas Mountains
20km north of the city, this tented lodge offers a quality self catering experience surrounded by the veld and wildlife
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.