Mowani Mountain Camp
Accommodation in Damaraland - Namibia
Mowani Mountain Camp is one of the finest in the Damaraland region of Namibia. The setting is amongst a vast and unspoilt wilderness, between the Ugab and Huab Rivers. This allows for game drives to search for desert-adapted elephants, to the backdrop of outstanding desert scenery. Fascinating geological formations and archaeological sites peppered with an impressive variety of desert flora and fauna complement any safari. Self-drive tourists can roam around the area in their own vehicles or be driven by one of the camp's guides.
The camp is distinguished by thatched dome-shaped structures which represent an almost mirror-image of the granite boulders amongst which they are built. Mowani is taken from the word M'Wane, meaning 'Place of God', indicating a high level of peace and tranquility.
The main complex consists of a reception, bar, dining room and a lounge that overlooks the waterhole. Mowani pride themselves on the services and attention their staff will give to it's guests.
The luxury tented accommodation is built inconspicuously, nestled amongst the natural surroundings to ensure minimum impact on the natural environment. A tea/coffee station, in-room safe and mosquito nets draped over the bed are standard in all rooms and suites, as is a private veranda where you can sit and admire the environment. There are:
- Superior View Rooms: (room 1,2,3,4) have the most superior view.
- View Rooms: (room 5,6,7) have an elevated view over the valley, not quite as good, but still exceptional.
- Standard View Rooms: (room 8,9,10, 11 and 12) look onto boulders and are lower down in the valley.
- Luxury Room: a wall separates it from the boma area, adding privacy. One double-bedded, thatched room with partly canvas walls, air-conditioning, en-suite facilities and a mini bar (drinks excluded). The room is west facing with its own private deck overlooking the valley. It is situated close to the lodge and is ideal for guests who are not too mobile.
- Mini Suite: A luxury, thatched suite with a lounge equipped with air-conditioning, a satellite television, a double room with en-suite bathroom, a laundry service and mini bar (drinks included). This suite is cocooned in the rocks with granite boulder views. Special long-stay offer available for stays of 4 nights or more!
- Mountain Suite: A luxury thatched suite with spectacular wrap-around views. The lounge is equipped with air-conditioning, a satellite television and CD music centre, private dining and bar facilities, a double room with en-suite bathroom as well as a bush bath and shower with a view and mini bar (drinks included).
It's also the southernmost roaming ground for the rare black rhino and desert elephant. This is where you will find the Twyfelfontein Conservancy and the Mowani Mountain Camp.
Activities from the lodge include excursions to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein, an archaeological site that offers more than 2,500 engravings, as well as various paintings. Historians and visitors alike, consider it be one of the finest examples of rock engravings in Southern Africa. A morning's nature drive with the possibility of seeing the elusive desert-adapted elephant and rare black rhino is another favourite here.
The more adventurous might prefer one of the walking trails, between the boulders and mopane trees in the valley below the lodge. It takes hikers to a small waterhole, and a viewpoint. Not to be missed, however, is the spectacular sunsets from the camp sundowner point. Situated close by are other main attractions of the area, including the Burnt Mountain and the Organ Pipes, all within easy driving distance.
Mowani Mountain Lodge. Exclusive, luxurious and irresistible.
- Desert-adapted elephant
- Spend between 4-6 hrs on a morning drive exploring the region in search of the elusive desert-adapted elephants. Usually they travel up to 60kms over inhospitable terrain between feeding areas and known waterholes. In times of drought they will dig holes in dry river beds until water seeps up. This also supplies other desert dwelling creatures.
- A 2hr safari to visit some of Damaraland's most famous attractions including the Burnt Mountain, the Organ Pipes and the highlight of your trip over 2,500 rock engravings at Twyfelfontein, a World Heritage Site.
- This region is ideal for walking with the emphasis as much on scenic exploration and grasping the harshness of surviving in a desert environment as it is game viewing.
This small lodge is located between Outjo and Khorixas - it was one of the first guest farms opened in Namibia
Situated in the tiny town of Uis, this lodge acts as a gateway to the Brandberg Mountain and other parts of the Erongo Region. The owner, Basil, is a bastion of the local community and a font of knowledge on the area
We are absolutely convinced that this is where Nelly the Elephant decided to live, after deciding to run away from the circus! A bit run down - but in an excellent location
Small private lodge consisting of thatched domed bungalows scattered amongst large granite boulders. It is well situated near Twyfelfontein and several other major Damaraland attractions
This camp was started by Wilderness Safaris and is now managed by the local community. Expect luxury, desert elephants and rhino
Named after the abundant Mopane Trees found in the area, Damara Mopane Lodge is part of a well established lodge group, known for quality lodges at reasonable prices. Only 20km from Khorixas and within driving distance of the highlights of the area
A good quality lodge located close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Excursions to the engravings and in search of desert adapted elephant are available
Situated in the town of Khorixas, this lodge may not have the most scenic setting but offers reasonable accommodation at good prices
A fairly basic establishment just outside the town of Khorixas
Private campsites in a beautiful setting
One of the most luxurious lodges in the area - accommodation is in luxury tents or more 'solid' suites.
As the name implies this is situated close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. A good quality lodge with reasonable rates.
Close to the Vingerklip rock formation and offering exciting views of the Ugab Plains
The Vingerklip is a 35m high finger like rock structure - this popular and well equipped lodge has two swimming pools and apart from being close to Vingerklip is in close proximity to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and other wonders of Damaraland
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.