Mahangu Safari Lodge
Caprivi - Namibia
The Mahangu Safari Lodge lies 22 kms south of the town Divundu, at the western bank of the Okavango river, en route to the Mahango National Park. It is in the western Caprivi region of north east Namibia. It is a convenient stopover en-route to or from Maun, the Okavango Delta in Botswana or the famous Victoria Falls, from either the Zambian or Zimbabwean side. The word 'Mahangu' means 'food of the local people'.
The thatched lodge is built amongst Jackalberry trees and wild date palms. The main dining area, bar and living room and swimming pool, all have great views of Okavango river. There is also a cozy fireplace, to ward off those cold, chilly nights.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served from a set menu. There are 2 big sunset decks on the front of the river, an ideal location for birders and photographers alike, as well as having excellent views of the Caprivi National Park.
Accommodation is in bungalows or safari tents. There are:
- Bungalows: 10 x bungalows with twin or double beds, en-suite facilities, a shower, toilet and washbasin. Air conditioning and mosquito nets, 220v electricity and lights, hot and cold water, filtered water, an air-cooling system, hair dryers and tea/coffee station are standard.
- Luxury 'big safari' tents: 6 x tented units with twin beds, en-suite shower, toilet and washbasin and similar facilities to the bungalows.
Those staying 2 or more nights at Mahangu Lodge have the option of breakfast on their breakfast boat. Departing ate around 07h30 in the morning and returning after 09h00. The ideal way to enjoy the chef's awesome omelette's while surrounded by hippos.
Activities include game drives to Mahango National Park and to the West Caprivi National Park, trips to the nearby Popa Falls, bird and game viewing boat trips on the Okavango River, guided Tiger and Bream river fishing trips, and the river areas are a bird watchers paradise. There is no shortage of elephants, crocodiles, hippos and fish eagles in this area. The lodge has 7 boats available for fishing.
Mahangu Safari Lodge is a good overnight stopover for self drive visitors on holiday in Namibia.
The nearest airstrip is at Divundu (Bagani). Both German and English are spoken at the lodge.
- Game drives
- Excursions to Mahango/Bwabwata NP can be organized. There are 3 distinct habitats in Mahango Game Reserve; river, fossil river and open dry woodland. Year-round water ensures an abundance of game but from April to November opportunities increase as the animals head for the river and waterholes. Mahango is home to many antelope such as roan, reedbuck, tsessebe, sitatunga, sable, red lechwe, kudu, Chobe bushbuck , duiker and steenbok as well as all the main usual wildlife suspects including elephant, lion, leopard and African wild dog.
- Boat trips
- Another enjoyable way to game view on the Kavango River is by boat. The late afternoon is often the best time to enjoy big game activity, as well as cruising in and out of pods of hippos and crocs.
- Guided trips on the river can be organized. Bream and tigerfish dominate the river species.
- Insects and butterflies are attracted to the many species of trees, flowers and shrubs. Large numbers of tiny creatures in turn attract over 400 species of bird to the region.
A rustic tented camp, built on raised decks overlooking the Chobe River and Chobe National Park.
On the Kwando River, perfectly situated to visit the Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) & Mudumu Reserves
Just outside the town of Katima Mulilo lies this small river front lodge. The accommodation is rustic with open fronted bungalows overlooking the river.
Explore the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers on an adventurous houseboat holiday. Certainly one of the most enjoyable and relaxing ways of exploring the waterways of this area
Caprivi Mutoya Lodge offers an ideal base to day trip into some of the Zambezi Regions most well-known national parks and a famous world heritage site.
Part of the Zambezi Queen collection these three smaller houseboats operate on the Chobe River " offer a superb opportunity to view birds, mammals and scenery on a 2 or 3 night trip
Previously called Ntwala Lodge, this property is situated on three small islands in an ultra-luxurious Chobe destination, with four suites, each with plunge pool and private guiding
Overlooking the vast Chobe floodplain from its situation on the banks of the Chobe River in the east Caprivi this lodge has a lot to offer visitors
Overlooking the Chobe River and Botswana's Chobe National Park, this boutique hotel offers an excellent opportunity to experience all the wildlife and activities the Chobe Region has to offer
One of the best lodges in this area has accommodation in both traditional land based units as well as on two houseboats.
A four room private camp set inside the Nkasa Rupara National Park. A remote and private location in Namibia's least visited hidden gems of a game park makes this a must visit lodge. The lodge can also be booked for exclusive use on a self catering basis
A tented lodge on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River. Offers both self catering facilities and restaurant meals. Excellent for fishing.
This lodge is located at the only place in the world where four countries meet. It is a wonderful Chobe destination with eight luxury chalets.
A more rustic and smaller alternative to the ever popular Lianshulu Lodge
Situated in the Mudumu National Park this is one of the east Zambezi Region's most popular lodges
Situated on an island in the Kwando river around 4km from the trans-Caprivi highway
Located on the banks of the Kwando river in the heart of the Mashi Conservancy, within Bwabwata National Park. This is a sanctuary for more than 35 game species and upwards of 330 bird species. Animals move freely throughout the area which creates a mecca for wildlife viewing
A popular and well appointed lodge near Kongola
A wonderful lodge in an extremely remote location, this is a must for anyone wanting to get of the beaten track and experience Namibia at her best. Offers game viewing in the Nkasa Rupara (formerly Mamili) National Park and boat trips on the Linyanti River.
A small luxurious houseboat, offers awesome game viewing, bird watching & fishing experiences on the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
in the Bwabwata National Park this is a perfect land and water camp with six luxury suites, each with private plunge pool
A luxurious house boat on the Chobe River which offers 2 or 3 night cruises on the Chobe River. An excellent way to celebrate a special occasion or just to relax in these splendid surroundings
In the far eastern Caprivi this lodge offers lots of water based activities on both the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.