Private Campsites in Damaraland
MMadisa Camp is situated in Damaraland and comes highly recommended for those who wish for rustic peacefulness. Many travellers use the well-travelled route between the small towns of Uis and Khorixas and the camp provides the perfect stopover to visit the world famous rock art at Twyfelfontein.
An additional drawcard is that the camp lies within the habitats of desert-adapted elephants. Other nearby attractions include The Organ Pipes, Burnt Mountain, the Petrified Forest and Brandberg Mountain. Madisa is easily accessible by both sedan cars and 4x4 vehicles.
Some of Namibia's most stunning desert landscapes can be found in Damaraland, one of the country's most sought after holiday destinations. There is much to see and do which lures tourists here and back again and again. Elephant and rhino tracking, birding, hiking, mountain biking and climbing plus cultural trips to local tribal settlements.
Excellent camping facilities and the close vicinity to some of Namibia's most visited tourist attractions make Madisa an ideal base for the outdoor enthusiast looking for a budget option. This includes individuals, families, self-drive travellers and large overland trucks. The ephemeral Gauntegab River setting adds to the beauty of the location.
Relax and unwind at the bar and communal braai area set at the foot of a granite koppie (mountain). No meals are available at the camp, and guests are required to be fully self sufficient - however wood is on sale. Cool off after a day's activities or a long, dusty drive in the swimming pool. Bear in mind that the elephants have taken to enjoy a dip in the pool at times as well! Electricity is available from sunset till 21h00 hours and you are required to set your own fire to boil shower water.
Guests can stay in Madisa's eco-friendly self-catering tents built around ancient boulder formations. Each tent affords outstanding Namib Desert views. Open-air en-suite rock bathrooms with a shower, wash basin, toilet, double/twin beds and linen are standard. Cook your dinner on the outside braai (bring your own equipment). Solar heated hot water is available at night and you can find your way around in the dark courtesy of paraffin/solar lighting in the tent and bathroom areas.
There are 9 private shaded campsites suitable for individual travellers, families and small groups. Each campsite has a great view of the river bed and nearby rock formations and are surrounded by a low rock wall. Individual ablution facilities uniquely sited on stilts hidden in tree tops. The braai facilities double up as your hot water heating system (donkey geyser) at every open-air shower. The 5 overland truck sites are equipped with a large circle braai area with seating, water taps and a wash-up basin and communal ablution block. Site lighting throughout is presently powered by a generator.
- Elephant Tracking:
- Spend a full day in search of desert-adapted elephant accompanied by a trained guide. (Minimum 2 pax)
- Game viewing
- A drinking trough which elephants frequent can be viewed from the top of the koppie. Leopard have recently been sighted close to Madisa. Village Walk Hike around the local area in the company of a guide to meet local villagers. Duration 2 to 3 hours.
- Rock Art
- There are some recently discovered examples of rock art, mainly of giraffe around the campsite.
- Cultural Trips
- to the Damara Living Museum can be organized.
- Sundowner Walk
- Enjoy a guided walk around the nearby koppie before climbing to the top to watch the magnificent sunset: Duration 1.5hrs.
- Game Drive & Sundowner
- Cruise the region by vehicle observing local flora and fauna en-route. Duration: 3hrs. (Minimum 4 pax)
- Local attractions
- Use Madisa as a base and self-drive to Twyfelfontein, the Organ Pipes and Burnt Mountain and the Petrified Forest.
This small lodge is located between Outjo and Khorixas - it was one of the first guest farms opened in Namibia
Situated in the tiny town of Uis, this lodge acts as a gateway to the Brandberg Mountain and other parts of the Erongo Region. The owner, Basil, is a bastion of the local community and a font of knowledge on the area
We are absolutely convinced that this is where Nelly the Elephant decided to live, after deciding to run away from the circus! A bit run down - but in an excellent location
Small private lodge consisting of thatched domed bungalows scattered amongst large granite boulders. It is well situated near Twyfelfontein and several other major Damaraland attractions
This camp was started by Wilderness Safaris and is now managed by the local community. Expect luxury, desert elephants and rhino
Named after the abundant Mopane Trees found in the area, Damara Mopane Lodge is part of a well established lodge group, known for quality lodges at reasonable prices. Only 20km from Khorixas and within driving distance of the highlights of the area
A good quality lodge located close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. Excursions to the engravings and in search of desert adapted elephant are available
Situated in the town of Khorixas, this lodge may not have the most scenic setting but offers reasonable accommodation at good prices
A fairly basic establishment just outside the town of Khorixas
Private campsites in a beautiful setting
One of the most luxurious lodges in the area - accommodation is in luxury tents or more 'solid' suites.
As the name implies this is situated close to the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein. A good quality lodge with reasonable rates.
Close to the Vingerklip rock formation and offering exciting views of the Ugab Plains
The Vingerklip is a 35m high finger like rock structure - this popular and well equipped lodge has two swimming pools and apart from being close to Vingerklip is in close proximity to Twyfelfontein, Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and other wonders of Damaraland
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.