Kuangukuangu Luxury Cabin
Solitaire - Namibia
Neither a lodge or a hotel, KuanguKuangu is a luxury private cabin in a peaceful valley surrounded by sand, rocky plains, magnificent mountain ranges and desert vegetation. This is perfect for either honeymooners, an individual self-drive traveller or couple who just want to get away from it all. Located on the same property, and created in the same aesthetic style, as Barchan Dune Retreat it will also appeal to those who prefer a self-catering holiday.
Kuangukuangu is situated at the foot of the Spreetshoogte Pass, the steepest pass in Namibia, and one which should only be traversed from east to west. The cabin is close to the quaint settlement of Solitaire and close enough to Sossusvlei to make day visits to the dunes possible. The name KuanguKuangu comes from 'Omukuangukuangu' an Ovambo word referring to the milky way, an obvious reference to the spectacular Namibian starry skies.
The cabin is built from a combination of canvas, wood, stones and sand. The white and orange colour scheme matches the surrounding desert environment. Peace and quiet is assured in a spacious room overlooking the Namib-Naukluft National Park.
The main room in the cabin room opens out towards the valley and sleeps a maximum of 2 in a comfortable double bed. The bathroom is behind the bedroom also with stunning views. There is also a small kitchen with drinkable running water, a stove, cooking equipment and an outside braai area but for those who prefer their meals cooked for them dinner can be enjoyed at Barchan Dune Retreat.
There are no activities at Kuangukuangu Luxury Cabin but those wanting to participate can join activities from Barchan Dune Retreat.Electricity is supplied by solar power and internet and email facilities are available at Barchan Dune Retreat.
- Sossusvlei trip
- An early start is required to watch the sunrise, climb Dune 45 and enjoy a delightful breakfast. Then it's on to Sossusvlei to climb some of the biggest sand dunes in the world, some as high as 325m. The shifting sands that surround the clay pan are peppered with dead camelthorn trees. A trip to Sesriem Canyon follows before a coffee break at Sesriem Campsite and then home to Barchan Dune Retreat for a late and well-deserved lunch.
- Hiking trails
- A number of the Namib Naukluft's walking trails are within a fairly short drive of Barchan Dune Retreat. Also there is a magnificent range called the Rantberge Mountains surrounding the Retreat and the lodge has implemented a number of excellent self-guided trails around this area. You could also enquire about ascending the pathless and challenging mountain to experience a wonderful sunrise.
- Sundowner drive
- There is the possibility to drive to Spreetshoogte Pass to watch the sunset.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
- From Windhoek (210km)
- From Windhoek drive south on the B1 in towards of Rehoboth (around 90km tarred road). Four Kilometers past Rehoboth turn to the right at the sign to Klein Aub, this is the C24 (gravel road) follow this until you reach the C1261 (signposted to Nauchas). Turn right onto the D1261 untill you reach Nauchas, then turn to the right following the signs to the Spreetzhoogte Pass on the D1275.
After the Spreetshoogte Pass it is another 20km till you reach the entrance to Barchan Dune Retreat (on your left) form here it is a further 3km to the Barchan Dune Retreat, here you will be welcomed and shown to KuanguKuangu Luxury Cabins.
- From Walvis Bay(240km)
- From Walvis Bay follow the C14 in towards Solitaire.Turn left at the D1275, which is marked as the Spreetzhogte & Nauchas. 15 kilometers from the turn you will see a sign to the Barchan Dune Retreat which is a further 3km drive.
One of the regions oldest farms, suitable for dune and Naukluft Mountain visits
A small lodge situated close to the spectacular Spreetzhoogte pass and around 10km from Solitaire
A private and secluded hide-a-way in the Namib Desert. Ideal for those wanting a break from civilization
Excellent food, too far to be the ideal base to visit Sossusvlei, good stop en-route to Swakopmund after night nearer the dunes
Budget option in Namibia's most famous one-horse town
Friendly owners and a stunning setting about 60km from Sesriem
Explore the spectacular desert around this property or use it as a base to visit Sossusvlei.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.