Kavango River Lodge
the Okavango River - Namibia
Kavango River Lodge is situated in Rundu on the banks of the Okavango River, overlooking Southern Angola and the surrounding flood plains. The lodge offers an ideal break when travelling through Namibia's far northeast region, and is a welcome and comfortable stopover on the long journey between Windhoek, Botswana and the Victoria Falls.
The lodge is equally suitable for visiting business people. It provides a cool, comfortable, and tranquil environment to relax and re-charge a weary set of batteries.
Breakfast, lunch and a buffet dinner are served in the restaurant. Traditional country-style meals can be enjoyed in the here, as well as a thirst-quenching drink from the mini-bar. Guests can wine and dine in the outdoor dining area as well, all whilst enjoying breathtaking views over the river and floodplains. Early starters or day trippers can order a breakfast and/or lunch packs.
Accommodation at Kavango River Lodge is in either chalets or self-catering units. All 19 units are fitted with mosquito-proof screens and mosquito repellent devices. There are:
- Deluxe chalets: 8 x single or double chalets equipped with en-suite bathroom facilities, air-conditioning, telephone, and a 4 channel TV system.
- Self-catering units: 11 x units with facilities similar to the deluxe chalets but kitted out with a hotplate, kettle, cutlery,crockery and a refrigerator. Folding beds and mattresses for children are provided upon request. Braai packs, cold beer and soft drinks are available at the kiosk.
Activities include canoe trips, bird watching, and a sunset cruise on the river can be organized, depending on the water level of the river. For guests who wish to have a siesta, read a book, or just chill out, hammocks are provided.
The Kavango River Lodge, is a Hospitality Association of Namibia, Best Rest Camp, winner.
- A leisurely pursuit where you can combine a bit of birding and river side animal activity.
- The Kavango River is deal for fishing trips, (catch and release). Bream and tiger-fishing are the most popular as are sharptooth catfish and nembwe.
- Sunset trips
- This is a popular river activity, not only does it give you the chance to have a drink and a snack as the sun sets, but hippo and crocs frequent the river banks. In the dry season game join them unwittingly.
- The Kavango region is home to an estimated 430 species of birds. Of these 20 are endemic or near-endemic species including the great snipe, African rail, African skimmer and yellow wagtail.
An upmarket lodge and spa on the banks of the Kavango River. The only traditional luxury lodge on this stretch of river
A well run lodge offering good facilities situated close to the town of Rundu
A few kilometers east of Rundu a nice functional lodge that more than adequately serves as an overnight stop while travelling through the Kavango and Zambezi region. The rooms, bar and restaurant area offer lovely views of the Kavango River.
Situated on the banks of the river (hence the name) in Rundu
Situated close to the Mahangu Park in west Caprivi - this is an excellent stop-over between Namibia, Maun (in Botswana) and the Victoria Falls
A rustic river side campsite and lodge offering excellent value for money. A lively bar and restaurant ensures this appeals to the younger or more socially inclined traveller
Close to Popa Falls and the Mahango Reserve this lodge offers stunning river views
Refreshingly, and surprisingly for the area, this lodge does not have the word 'River' as part of its name. Do not be misled it is situated on the banks of the river opposite the Caprivi Game Park (Bwabwata National Park)
Close to the Popa Falls (a series of rapids on the Kavango River), this rest camp was renovated in 2013
on the Kavango River banks this lodge offers plenty of water based activities
Near the village of Divundu, this small but wonderfully managed lodge is a perennial favourite of ours. Lovely wooden chalets, with large decks overlook the river. Those wanting to experience the river can choose from fishing and sunset river cruises
On a beautiful plot of indigenous plants and trees overlooking the river
One of the best lodges for birders visiting Namibia - but also great for fishing, chilling or generally becoming part of the family (the family consists of a host of creatures including goats, otters and guinefowls all lovingly adopted by the owners)
A small lodge a short distance west of Rundu. The rooms have river views and guests can choose from a range of activities
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.