Kalahari Bush Breaks
near Gobabis - Namibia
Kalahari Bush Breaks Lodge is located on a 4000ha private farm. The emphasis here is not on set schedules, or any particular pressure to participate in drives or walks. Their team offer a broad spectrum of options, with guests personal preferences coming first. The location, 85kms to the east of the town of Gobabis is part of a completed tarred road that links Windhoek and Johannesburg, through Botswana.
The main building has a dining area and bar. Breakfast and dinner are served buffet style, but light lunches have to be ordered in advance. There is an outside 'Lapa,' where guests can wine and dine, whilst admiring the heavenly bodies above! Relaxing by the pool, or hopping in for a dip, is a welcome relief from the hot afternoon sun. There is also a guest lounge, with an inviting fire-place to ward off those cold winter nights. Internet access and a laundry service, can be arranged.
The garden is shaded by worm-bark false-thorn trees, (Albizia anthelmintica) and overlooks a floodlit waterhole. As this is a favourite spot for game and birds to come and drink or graze, it offers great photographic opportunities.
Every room is equipped with en-suite bathrooms, a fan and mosquito nets with refreshing natural, cross-ventilation ensuring an uninterrupted night's sleep. There are 2 types of accommodation:
- A thatched complex: A beautiful 3 level building with 6 rooms.
- Private collection: These 2 chalets afford extra privacy from the thatched complex with the addition of a private dining facility, bar, lounge and open fire place.
Activities at the lodge include extended game through the Kalahari Desert and scenic drives in 4x4 vehicles, game walks and stalking - observing game from a safe distance, undetected. Many guests enjoy stargazing, whilst lying flat on your backs, on a blanket, under the brilliant Namibian starlit skies. Couples can break away from the lodge, and armed with a hamper of goodies, can head for a secluded picnic lunch in the tree-house, or under the stars, protected by cuddly duvets, lanterns and mosquito netting.
The Kalahari Bush Breaks Lodge offers visitors the opportunity to see one of the last essentially intact eco systems in Africa, as well as staying on a land where Bushmen once roamed. There are no lakes or flowing rivers, and temperatures are extreme in both summer and winter.
Resident birdlife include raptors, such as the chanting and gaber goshawks, martial and tawny eagles, or insectivores, such as the marico and chat flycatcher. The unusual and rather strange aardvark and pangolin can be found here. The Aardvark is the only living member of its order (Tubulidentata) and is one of the least known of all living mammals. Pangolins are unique amongst mammals in that, instead of hair, their bodies are covered with horny scales. After heavy rains, the chorus of hundreds of small sand frogs (Tomopterna cryptotis) and rain frogs (Breviceps adspersus) can be heard.
There is 1km long gravel landing strip nearby, where transfers to and from the lodge can be arranged.
- Game drives
- Species of antelope and zebra, as well as numerous birds roam the reserve. Flexible timings are the norm here.
- There is a 20km self-drive 4x4 route around the Kalahari Bush Breaks property.
- Choose between the 3 walking trails. Some of them leading to the ancient bushman engravings. Guided and unguided hikes can be arranged. The paths and tracks are well-marked. There are nearly 80 species of bird resident in the vicinity including some raptors.
- Game and birds visit regularly the floodlit waterhole.
- Horse riding
- This activity is for experienced riders only and must be booked in advance.
The Arnhem Caves are the largest in Namibia, this simple rest camp allows guests to explore these caves
Built from locally made red Kalahari clay bricks this is a wonderful lodge. Expect good food, stunning Kalahari sunsets and a warm welcome
An ideal stop over in the Kalahari en-route between Botswana and central Namibia
Hans and Claudia run an excellent guest farm - activities include game drives, learning about (and eating) local sheep, the art centre and carpet weaving. We think this is one of the best guest farms in Namibia
Offers a variety of accommodation styles from guest houses to a tented camp.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.