Kalahari Game Lodge
close to the Mata Mata Gate | Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park - Namibia
Kalahari Game Lodge is set on a 40,000ha game farm amongst large camelthorn trees on the banks of the ephemeral Auob riverbed. The southern Namibian town of Keetmanshoop is 254kms away and as the lodge is only 18km away from Mata Mata on the Namibian / South African border, it is an ideal stopover for individual travellers, families and self-drive tourists en-route to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.
Facilities at Kalahari Game Lodge include a bar with DSTV, terrace, lounge with fireplace, Wi-Fi and a curio shop. Sumptuous breakfasts, a full lunch and dinner are served in the restaurant which includes a vegetarian menu. Step outside to the boma, open-air firepit, swimming pool and children's playground with small jungle gym.
Guests stay in 8 rooms with either twin or double beds. Each room has an en-suite bathroom, small kitchenette, ceiling fan, mosquito net, tea/coffee station, fridge, in-room safe. Relax and unwind on your own private terrace which overlooks the Auob riverbed. Hair dryers are available at reception. Some of the rooms have an outside braai, ideal for enjoying supper under a stunning Namibian night sky.
This stunning desert biome is home to an enormous array of mammals large and small including the Kalahari lion, springbok, oryx, springbok, eland, giraffe and brown hyena. Over 100 species of bird have been recorded in the area including northern black korhaan, martial eagles, pygmy falcon and both white-backed and lapped-faced vultures.
- Scenic Game Drive
- Morning and afternoon game drives depart at 06h00 and 16h00 respectively. This tour focuses on the flora and fauna found in the region. Often large numbers of antelope can be observed grazing on short grasses in the Auob Riverbed, ideal for game viewing. Duration: 3hrs.
- Lion Tracking
- Collared Kalahari black mane lions are tracked almost guaranteeing a sighting. This activity is a drawcard in itself. Departure time is as for the game drives. Duration 4hrs
- Look out for prominent stars, the Milky Way and other well-known constellations. Duration: 1hr.
- Guided & Unguided Walking Trails
- There are many species of plants which support the desert-adapted wildlife of the area, best seen on foot with a knowledgeable guide. Duration 2/3hrs.
- Night Drive
- An excellent opportunity to search for nocturnal creatures of the area such as aardvark, brown hyena, pangolin and striped polecat. Sightings not guaranteed. Depart 20h00. Duration 2hrs.
- Self-guided drives
- Hop in your own vehicle and drive around a 4x4 trail, exploring the area at your leisure visiting known waterholes where wildlife congregate during the early or mid-mornings and in the late afternoon.
- Day Trip to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- This trip heads out of Namibia into South Africa for the day and visits some of the regions wildlife hotspots. Duration: 5/6hrs.
only 25 kilometers west of Mariental this lodge promises an interesting safari experience. With over 19 game species including white rhino on the property, those seeking wildlife in this arid area are unlikely to be disappointed
10 bedroom guest house near the main B1 road in Mariental
Large; budget friendly lodge.
Excellent lodge in the Kalahari Desert, offers accommodation in units made of straw bales or wood. Bagatelle proves to be consistently popular with guests
Interested in gliding? Then this is the lodge for you
On the private Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve.
Recently upgraded, the resort is reasonably close to the main highway and offers an alternative overnight stop for those traveling between South Africa and southern Namibia towards Windhoek and other central areas of the country
Tends to cater for larger groups, but the low rates make it attractive for those looking to save some money.
Small self catering establishment in the pretty Kalahari town of Stampriet
A small well run lodge near the scenic village of Stampriet
Close to the Mata Mata border, the lodge is situated on a large well stocked game park. This is an excellent place to view Kalahari black maned lions
A 12 room lodge situated in a nature reserve and set amongst the red dunes of the Kalahari Desert
Only a few kilometers from Mariental this magnificent game lodge is a green oasis in the Kalahari Desert. A wildlife breeding program means several rare buck species can be found on the lodge's game farm
A wonderful owner managed guest house in the village of Stampriet. An eclectic mix of local antiques & warm hospitality enhance your stay
The meerkat or suricate is a small mammal which inhabits the Kalahari - we do not know why this lodge is named after them. Perhaps if you stay here and find out you can tell us and then we can make this slightly more descriptive
A tented lodge, built on the small red dunes of the Kalahari Desert.
The third lodge on the Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve (along with Suricate & Camethorn Lodges). The Kalahari is absolutely magnificent and really should be a part of any visit to Namibia.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.