accommodation in the Kalahari Desert - Namibia
The Kalahari Farmhouse is located on the outskirts of the village of Stampriet, approximately 60km north-west of Mariental. The farmhouse is built at the site of a permanent spring, on the fertile land of the Auob River, and the lodge property is flush with palm trees, green acacias and yellow grasses of the desert & also hosts a splendid variety of fruit-bearing trees. This is the Kalahari Desert at it's most scenic.
Although the Kalahari Farmhouse is a popular stop-over for travellers heading to the southern parts of Namibia, it is also a favourite with Namibian holiday makers and as such can get very busy, especially during the holiday periods, so advanced booking is advised.
The main building, a former manor house constructed at the height of the Karakul sheep farming industry some 50 years ago, contains the reception, restaurant, bar and guest lounge. There is an internet connection, laundry service and secure parking. Kalahari Farmhouse is also wheelchair friendly.
An interesting feature of the Kalahari Farmhouse is the self-sufficiency centre. The lodge itself is set in the heart of the farm and is surrounded by different activities of the business. Dairy products such as cheeses, meat from the butchery, and vegetables from their very own garden are grown or reared on this large farm. They also bake a variety of breads, and pot both jams and a variety of home-made sauces.
Drinks and meals are served in indoor and outdoor 'lapa' areas. Breakfast is a buffet-style affair and a set menu is on offer at lunch and dinner times. Large groups, and visitors in the high season, can expect buffet meals.Accommodation is in 11 tastefully decorated rooms, reminiscent of Cape Dutch architecture, set in a row in front of the farmhouse.
- Double Rooms: All of the Double Rooms have an en-suite bathroom with shower, a fan or air-conditioning. In front of the fireplace is a small table and chairs. Other furniture includes a cupboard, luggage rack and a bedside table.
- Family Rooms: 2 of the Double Rooms are suitable for families. 1 has 4 beds and the other inter-leading doors.
Animals including springbok, gemsbok and ostrich can be found not far from the lodge. Jackal, hare and porcupine also inhabit the dunes and dune valleys of the Kalahari Desert. The area is also home to the Kori Bustard, the largest flying bird of all, and huge colonies of weaver birds are resident in the lodge's many camelthorn trees.
- Village Trip
- Visit the village of Stampriet, a reminder of South Africa's Cape region. Large irrigated fields, courtesy of the Auob River's seasonal waters and artesian wells compliment the feeling. The old church is worth a visit, as is the 'Stampriet Historical Guesthouse', even if just for a coffee.
- Farm Tour
- A visit to the Kalahari Farmhouse Self-Sufficiency Centre can be organized if pre-arranged.
- Hardap Dam
- The upper Fish River is damned by Hardap, north of Mariental. There are magnificent views across the fields of the town right up to the escarpment to the east. A small amount of plains game and some interesting species of bird make the trip worthwhile. (Own car needed for this trip!).
The following activities can be arranged from the neighbouring Anib Lodge
- Kalahari Desert Trips
- Guided morning or sundowner drives of about 3hr duration. Get acquainted with the colourful displays of dunes, grass and sky, as it unfolds just after sunrise and before the sun sets.
- Hiking Trails:
- Stretch your legs and explore the Kalahari Desert on foot. A trail map is available at the lodge reception.
only 25 kilometers west of Mariental this lodge promises an interesting safari experience. With over 19 game species including white rhino on the property, those seeking wildlife in this arid area are unlikely to be disappointed
10 bedroom guest house near the main B1 road in Mariental
Large; budget friendly lodge.
Excellent lodge in the Kalahari Desert, offers accommodation in units made of straw bales or wood. Bagatelle proves to be consistently popular with guests
Interested in gliding? Then this is the lodge for you
On the private Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve.
Recently upgraded, the resort is reasonably close to the main highway and offers an alternative overnight stop for those traveling between South Africa and southern Namibia towards Windhoek and other central areas of the country
Tends to cater for larger groups, but the low rates make it attractive for those looking to save some money.
Small self catering establishment in the pretty Kalahari town of Stampriet
A small well run lodge near the scenic village of Stampriet
Close to the Mata Mata border, the lodge is situated on a large well stocked game park. This is an excellent place to view Kalahari black maned lions
A 12 room lodge situated in a nature reserve and set amongst the red dunes of the Kalahari Desert
Only a few kilometers from Mariental this magnificent game lodge is a green oasis in the Kalahari Desert. A wildlife breeding program means several rare buck species can be found on the lodge's game farm
A wonderful owner managed guest house in the village of Stampriet. An eclectic mix of local antiques & warm hospitality enhance your stay
The meerkat or suricate is a small mammal which inhabits the Kalahari - we do not know why this lodge is named after them. Perhaps if you stay here and find out you can tell us and then we can make this slightly more descriptive
A tented lodge, built on the small red dunes of the Kalahari Desert.
The third lodge on the Intu Afrika Kalahari Game Reserve (along with Suricate & Camethorn Lodges). The Kalahari is absolutely magnificent and really should be a part of any visit to Namibia.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.