Jackalberry Tented Camp
Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) Park - Namibia
Jackalberry Tented Lodge is the only lodge situated inside the prime wildlife-rich Nkasa Rupara National Park. The small four tent lodge is a perfect base to explore this remote and seldom visited watery wonderland of islands, wetlands and river channels of the park. Self-drivers in Namibia who are looking to get off the beaten track and avoid the overcrowding of other popular parks in the area (such as Chobe and the Okavango Delta) should stay here.
The best game viewing months are from May to September when large herds of elephant and buffalo frequent the park. But there are no bad months in this area and the game populations within the park are good throughout the year. Jackalberry Camp is a seriously remote and unfenced camp and it is entirely possible to have herds of elephants or lions strolling through the camp, this is their area and guests at the camp need to respect that wildlife have right of way.
As the lodge is located right on the Linyanti river lagoons, you will witness huge herds of elephant congregate on nearby islands in the drier winter months. The park is also a sanctuary for birds and there have been more species recorded here than anywhere else in Namibia. The Jackalberry Tented Lodge is a sister lodge to Nkasa Lupala Tented Lodge which is just outside the borders of the park.
Nkasa Rupara Park holds the unique distinction of being the largest wetland area with conservation status in Namibia. This protects flora and fauna living within it's complex channel of reed beds, lakes and islands that form the Linyanti swamps. The main focal features are 2 large islands, Lupala and Nkasa. During the dry season they can be accessed by road but expect them to be cut off from the mainland due to flooding after the rains.
The main building is build around a huge Jackalberry tree. A communal fire-place is on the ground floor and often guests congregate here to boast about their day's adventures. On the 1st floor are the main hospitality areas where you can wine and dine indoors or outside with complementary drinks from the bar. The spacious and comfortable lounge is located on the 2nd floor and affords great views of the going's on around you.
Guests stay in large customized tents:
- Twin Rooms: There are 3 eco-friendly twin rooms with double beds and side lamps, a camping fridge, in-room bathroom and a tea/coffee station. Enjoy stunning views across the lagoons from the comfort of your elevated deck. Hot water is supplied by solar power.
- Honeymoon Room: This is a larger double room with similar facilities to the twin units.
Lush marshes, dense savannah and high river reeds attract large herds of elephants and buffalo, hippo, lion, leopard, giraffe, crocs, spotted hyena, giraffe, impala, red lechwe, reedbuck and the elusive sitatunga. Bird species include rosy-throated longclaw, wattled crane, Meves' starling, slaty egret and the greater swamp warbler.
Self-catering rates are only applicable when booking the entire lodge.
Due to the unfenced nature of the camp no children under the age of 16 years old are permitted at Jackalberry Tented Lodge.
- Sundowner Boat Cruises
- Have a few drinks with fellow travellers as the sun sets.
- Guided walks
- Another little-used way to game view, which can get you very close to wildlife without disturbing the behavioural patterns and routines of the animals.
- The Combo
- A combination of game driving in the Nkasa Rupara park and a boat cruise on the Linyanti river. As we may have mentioned the park is remote and you are unlikely to come across any other visitors apart from large herds of impala, great numbers of birds and the occasional elephant or lion pride. The boat trip on the Linyanti is even more spectacular, Nkasa Lupala lodge are the only people with the concession to visit this part of the Linyanti river, so you are nearly guaranteed to be alone on the river. Game & bird viewing are both phenomenal on the Linyanti and you are likely to see elephant, hippo, giraffe and a number of waterbuck species and a huge variate of birds.
- Self-drive visit to Nkasa Rupara Park
- As the park is only a few hundred meters from the lodge, it is a simple matter to explore the park in your own 4x4 vehicle. Permits can be obtained from the rangers office.
Jackalberry Camp is inside Nkasa Rupara NP boundaries. The lodge is in around 86km from Kongola (B8 road) and 140 from Katima Mulilo.
From Kongola and Katima Mulilo, follow the C49 road up to the junction to the Sangwali village (direction Mamili NP). The C49 road is a well maintained tarred road between Kongola& Katima Mulilo.
From Sangwali take the road to the Mamili NP. (4x4 is advised or call the lodge for pick-up, there is a safe parking for normal vehicles in Sangwali) Two new steel bridges where build in 2010 on the road to the Park. However the first bridge is still in wood but in perfect conditions.
Once arrived to the Shisintze ranger station ask for directions to the lodge (no signboards are allowed to be errected within the park and the camp can be a little hard to find). If in doubt head to Nkasa Lupala Tented Lodge (1km from the rangers station and they will give you precise directions)
A rustic tented camp, built on raised decks overlooking the Chobe River and Chobe National Park.
On the Kwando River, perfectly situated to visit the Nkasa Rupara (Mamili) & Mudumu Reserves
Just outside the town of Katima Mulilo lies this small river front lodge. The accommodation is rustic with open fronted bungalows overlooking the river.
Explore the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers on an adventurous houseboat holiday. Certainly one of the most enjoyable and relaxing ways of exploring the waterways of this area
Caprivi Mutoya Lodge offers an ideal base to day trip into some of the Zambezi Regions most well-known national parks and a famous world heritage site.
Part of the Zambezi Queen collection these three smaller houseboats operate on the Chobe River " offer a superb opportunity to view birds, mammals and scenery on a 2 or 3 night trip
Previously called Ntwala Lodge, this property is situated on three small islands in an ultra-luxurious Chobe destination, with four suites, each with plunge pool and private guiding
Overlooking the vast Chobe floodplain from its situation on the banks of the Chobe River in the east Caprivi this lodge has a lot to offer visitors
Overlooking the Chobe River and Botswana's Chobe National Park, this boutique hotel offers an excellent opportunity to experience all the wildlife and activities the Chobe Region has to offer
One of the best lodges in this area has accommodation in both traditional land based units as well as on two houseboats.
A four room private camp set inside the Nkasa Rupara National Park. A remote and private location in Namibia's least visited hidden gems of a game park makes this a must visit lodge. The lodge can also be booked for exclusive use on a self catering basis
A tented lodge on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River. Offers both self catering facilities and restaurant meals. Excellent for fishing.
This lodge is located at the only place in the world where four countries meet. It is a wonderful Chobe destination with eight luxury chalets.
A more rustic and smaller alternative to the ever popular Lianshulu Lodge
Situated in the Mudumu National Park this is one of the east Zambezi Region's most popular lodges
Situated on an island in the Kwando river around 4km from the trans-Caprivi highway
Located on the banks of the Kwando river in the heart of the Mashi Conservancy, within Bwabwata National Park. This is a sanctuary for more than 35 game species and upwards of 330 bird species. Animals move freely throughout the area which creates a mecca for wildlife viewing
A popular and well appointed lodge near Kongola
A wonderful lodge in an extremely remote location, this is a must for anyone wanting to get of the beaten track and experience Namibia at her best. Offers game viewing in the Nkasa Rupara (formerly Mamili) National Park and boat trips on the Linyanti River.
A small luxurious houseboat, offers awesome game viewing, bird watching & fishing experiences on the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
in the Bwabwata National Park this is a perfect land and water camp with six luxury suites, each with private plunge pool
A luxurious house boat on the Chobe River which offers 2 or 3 night cruises on the Chobe River. An excellent way to celebrate a special occasion or just to relax in these splendid surroundings
In the far eastern Caprivi this lodge offers lots of water based activities on both the Chobe & Zambezi Rivers
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.