Luderitz - Namibia
Island Cottage makes for a great base to explore the attractions of Luderitz. This is also an ideal southern coastal destination for self-drive tourists and families who require self-catering accommodation in Namibia. The accommodation is only 800m from the surreal colonial town of Luderitz, joined to the mainland via a causeway. Well-placed guest rooms afford great sea-views.
There is no communal lounge area but shared braai facilities. Enjoy the lagoon from the elevated patio. Secure parking allows guests to unload and repack in safety. For those not wishing to self-cater the management will be only to pleased to recommend a local restaurant or bar.
Luderitz has everything one would expect from a German town, delicatessens, coffee shops and Lutheran churches. The nearby icy Atlantic Ocean is home to seals, penguins and other interesting marine life of Namibia's Atlantic Coast.
Facilities include a laundry service, Internet connection, daily room service and secure parking at Island Cottage. Accommodation is the Seagull, Penguin or Flamingo Cottages. Each cottage has en-suite bathrooms and a shower/toilet, TV, telephone, overhead fan and a tea/coffee station. The fully equipped kitchens include a toaster, kettle, crockery and cutlery and a small stove. (Less the Flamingo Cottage that has no stove.) Every unit has a braai facility with a patio and all 3 of the cottages have spectacular views of the lagoon. All of the rooms are non-smoking and oyster's and champagne can be arranged on request!
- The Seagull Cottage: a double room with a cozy and warm atmosphere. It has a bed with two single bed mattresses each with its own linen. Good quality towels and 100% cotton percale linen are provided. This cottage is also furnished with a double bed sleeper couch which can sleeps two children or one adult (the sleeper couch is not in a separate bedroom). There’s a fully equipped kitchen and an en-suite bathroom with a shower.
- The Penguin Cottage is furnished with 2 single beds and a comfortable sleeper couch, which can easily be transformed into a double bed. It also has a fully equipped kitchen and an en-suite bathroom and shower. Linen and towels are provided.
- The Flamingo Cottage has an en-suite bathroom and shower, a breakfast corner in one room and 2 single beds in the other. This is not a self catering cottage
Tourists to the area should note that when the wind blows, (which is most of the time), the final 10km into Luderitz may be blocked by the Barchans dune field, which seems hell-bent upon crossing the road. The drifts pile quite high before the road crews are able to clean them off, and conditions do get hazardous, especially if it’s foggy.
Self-drive activities include a trip to The Lüderitz Peninsula, much of which lies outside the Sperrgebiet prohibited area, making it an interesting half-day excursion. The picturesque and relatively calm bay, Sturmvogelbucht, has a lovely beach and is viable for swimming, but the water temperature would only be amenable to a sea or a penguin. A Norwegian whaling station was sited there in 1914, but is now a rusty ruin.
At Diaz Point, 22km south of Lüderitz, there is a lovely, classic lighthouse and replica of Dias cross erected in July 1488 by Portuguese navigator Bartolomeu Dias on his return voyage from the Cape of Good Hope. The point is frequented by seals, and from the nearby car park, you can observe the jackass penguin colony on Halifax Island. You can also observe cormorants, wading birds and even the occasional school of dolphins.
Grosse Bucht (Big Bay) at the southern end of the peninsula, is favoured by flocks of flamingos that feed in the tidal pools. It’s also the site of a small but picturesque shipwreck on the beach.
visit the Kolmanskop Ghost town near Luderitz
trip into the Sperrgebiet (forbidden diamond area) with visits to the abandonded mining town of Pomona & the rock arch at Bogenfels
Several cruises around Luderitz harbour, options include sunset cruises & a visit to an oyster farm
Well equipped & maintained self catering apartments on Shark Island
A unique and very popular bed & breakfast establishment on Shark Island
A prime sea-front location is complimented with sea facing rooms, a top class restaurant & a private beach
Budget accommodation & campsite on shark island
Luxury self catering holiday apartments
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.