Hakos Guest Farm
The Gamsberg - central Namibia
The Hakos Guest Farm is on top of the Gamsberg Pass, and is no more than 2hrs drive from Namibia's capital city, Windhoek. It's high elevation at the edge of the desert is a great favourite with astronomers, and it affords great opportunities for both observation and photography. There are wonderful views of the Hakos Mountains and into the Namib Desert.
Many a cozy evening is spent around the campfire or indoor barbeque area, all whilst enjoying the rural lifestyle and German hospitality of the farm, which is also a recipient of the prestigious Eco Award Namibia for 2006. Breakfast, a light lunch and dinner are served in the dining area, and local venison is a specialty of the house. Guests are also welcome to make use of the indoor swimming pool.
Accommodation is in 14 single or double rooms, all with a private bathroom and shower. Families are more than welcome as 1 of the rooms has 4-beds.
The main activity at Hakos, is to enjoy the stars and planets. They have an astronomical observatory, with a roll-off roof house mirror and lens telescope, on a heavy mount with automatic tracking. Visitors are welcome to bring your own stargazing equipment.
There are 4x4 tours to the Gamsberg, a farm drive, (Hakos and Quiver Tree) and a trek by vehicle round the farm, where drivers can test their off-road skills, on trails to suit all levels. The many walking trails, in and around the area, are of various lengths and degree's of difficulty, but guarantee many opportunities to unpack the binoculars and camera's along the way!
German, English and Afrikaans are spoken here. Hakos Guest Farm. For peace and relaxation.
- As there is very little light pollution in Namibia this is ideal astronomy country, with many scientific studies carried out here. The lodge possesses 2 proper astronomical observatories with a roll-off roof houses mirror and lens telescopes on a heavy mount with automatic tracking. Other instruments are available and guests are encourage to bring their own stargazing equipment.
- Day tour
- Take a slow drive to the foot of the Gamsberg. Lunch will be served on the top of the mountain. Total duration: 6hrs.
- Farm drive
- A 3hr drive around the farm includes visiting their Quiver tree forest.
- Numerous hiking trails can be taken in and around the farm.
- Observatory tour
- An interesting daylight trip visiting a number of different observatories at Hakos. Duration: 1 to 2hrs.
From central Windhoek, follow Mandume Ndemufayo Avenue south passed the University of Namibia. Just after the university you come to a crossroads with the Western Bypass. Cross straight over this road, joining the C26. After about 32kms turn left (this is where the C26 and D1982 fork). Follow the C26 for another 103kms and the Hakos Guest Farm is on your right.
Very friendly lodge with eclectic decor - good choice of accommodation in the Gamsberg area
Very popular with amateur astronomers due to the areas low light pollution
A remote & rustic camp at the foot of the Khomas Hochland mountains
On the edge of the escarpment this property offers stunning views over the Namib Desert plains. Accommodation choices include private campsites, luxury villas & traditional guest farm accommodation
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.