Game Lodge and Wellness Center - near Windhoek
Gocheganas Nature Lodge is a private game farm that offers a unique combination of wildlife, nature and wellness experiences. The hilltop setting which overlooks a spectacular landscape adds to the overall ambiance of your destination. The reasonably close location (29kms south-east) to the city of Windhoek is also worth considering for those who wish an 'out-of-city experience' yet still close enough for day trips and shopping expeditions to the capital.
The 6,000ha reserve is home to over 25 different species of mammal (mainly antelopes and some rhino). This is a great option for those who enjoy a relaxed game drive with decent birding as opposed to some of the busier national parks. Gocheganas is a Damara name, meaning 'Place of Camelthorn Trees'. The reserve area supports an abundance of candle-pod acacias which are browsed by both game and livestock.
The Gocheganas Nature Lodge restaurant allows for wining and dining to a backdrop of beautiful scenery. A combination of healthy and nutritious dishes can be complemented by a selection of fine wines and local beers. The lodge also caters for limited conference facilities for up to 15 personnel and can host private functions such as weddings and incentive groups.
The Wellness Village consists of 11 specialist treatment rooms, featuring state of the art equipment. It includes a heated indoor swimming pool, (under a cathedral like masonry vault) an outdoor swimming pool on the Oasis Peninsula, the Granite Bath (cave sauna), Kneipp showers, facial and beauty treatments, a gym and yoga facilities and a fruit and juice bar to quench your thirst. Packages and wellness treatments on offer also include balanced workouts, and a range of outdoor massages to de-stress and detoxification sessions, as well as personal training and nutritional consultations. The wellness concept is family friendly and perfect for honeymoon couples.
Luxury accommodation consists of a Crown Suite and 15 Elegant Suites, all under thatched roofs, with spectacular views of the surrounding environment.
- The Crown Suite caters for a maximum of 4 guests, with a master bedroom and en-suite bathroom, (with shower/bath under skylight) air-conditioning, television with DVD/CD system, mini-bar, telephone, as well as an outdoor shower. A timber deck links the bedroom to a spacious living and dining area, with a couch-bed, and it's own en-suite bathroom.
- The Elegant Chalets: The Elegant Chalets have en-suite bathrooms with a separate toilet. 10 of the suites have twin beds and outdoor showers and the other 5 rooms have the same facilities but with the additional luxury of King-size beds. All chalets have their own private timber deck.
Activities include early morning and late afternoon game drives and include a halfway refreshment break. Their qualified guides are at hand to share their knowledge on all aspects of local flora and fauna and bird life. The abundant game life includes a family of rhino, steenbok, duiker, klipspringer, red hartebeest, wildebeest (blue), eland, Burchell's zebra, springbok, oryx (gemsbok), kudu, giraffe, waterbuck, warthog, Hartmann's mountain zebra, square-lipped (white) rhinoceros (the second largest land mammal), cheetah, leopard, caracal, striped polecat, and black wildebeest.
Smaller species such as genet, honey badger, African wild cat, Cape fox, bat-eared fox, black-backed jackal, aardwolf, aardvark (ant-bear), pandolin (scaly anteater), yellow mongoose, banded mongoose, suricate, ground squirrel, scrub hare, spring hare, rock dassie, porcupine, bush-baby and the chacma baboon can also be seen.
In December 2002, the owners of Gocheganas Nature Reserve, made an exciting discovery of ancient stone age caves, located only a few kilometres from the lodge. Stone tools and a variety of pottery shards were found, and it has been confirmed that the pieces are between 2000 and 9000 years old.
As more caverns are being discovered, it would appear that the natural hot water spring on Gocheganas, could have been a deciding factor for stone-age humans to have settled in the region. With the possibility that rock engravings or paintings could still be found, and to protect the area, only guided visits to the Stone Age Caverns are on offer. A visit lasts around 2-3hrs, including a drive to the site and a short walk on to the caverns, stopping on the return journey for a sundowner and a snack. There are also guided and unguided walks in and around lodge.
Gocheganas Nature Reserve. Not just a lodge & spa, but an experience!
- Game Drives
- With 25 different wildlife species on the 6000 hectares at GocheGanas, game drives are a popular activity. Undertaken in the early morning and late afternoon these includes a stop for snacks and drinks. Guides share information on fauna, flora and interesting bird species. Fortunate game drivers are lucky enough to view the Gocheganas rhino family
- Guided Walks
- Given the number of water holes around the lodge, walking is a popular activity. Guides will inform you about the interesting geology, fauna and flora of the area. Guests are also welcome to undertake unguided walks around the Lodge.
- Stone Age Caverns
The owners of GocheGanas Nature Reserve made an exciting discovery of ancient stone age caverns, located a few kilometres from the Lodge. Stone tools and a variety of pottery shards were found, and it has been confirmed that the pieces are between 2000 and 9000 years old. More and more caverns are constantly being discovered, and it would appear that the natural hot water spring on GocheGanas could have been the reason for stone age humans to settle down here.
The guided visit to lasts about 2 and a half hours, and includes a short walk to the caverns. On the way back there is a stop for sundowner drinks and snacks.
Gocheganas Nature Reserve and Wellness Centre is situated in central Namibia, a mere 29 km south-west of Windhoek. Take the B1 out of Windhoek, after 20 km turn left on the gravel road D1463 for 9 km and turn right through the Gocheganas entrance gate
A privately owned game farm, with a good variety of wildlife just a short distance south of Windhoek.
Newly built lodge in a small well stocked game reserve west of Windhoek
This lodge is very popular amongst those seeking leopard and cheetah viewing close to Windhoek. Regular feedings guarantee great sightings and photographic opportunities
A relaxing lodge in the Eros Mountains (named after a local fruit and not the goddess of love) around 30km north of the city
Opposite the Windhoek International Airport, close enough to be extremely convenient but far enough away that planes are not a distraction. Great for those arriving late or leaving early, as cuts out the 45km drive from Windhoek/
One of Namibia's most popular spas with the added bonus of top game viewing.
Between Windhoek and the International Airport lies this interesting cattle & game farm
family friendly, mid range lodge in rural location
a wildlife sanctuary offering quality accommodation in a tranquil environment
large lodge on a large well stocked game farm, lion feeding included
On a large private game farm close to the Windhoek International Airport, ideal for those not wanting to travel into Windhoek before or after their arrival in Namibia
Offering horse riding, spa treatments and two swimming pools, this is a good family lodge
Close to the B1 road around 30 kilometers south of the city this lodge offers a good one night stopover for wary travellers
a few kilometers east of Windhoek this lodge offers unsurpassed views of the city from a setting in the Auas Mountains
20km north of the city, this tented lodge offers a quality self catering experience surrounded by the veld and wildlife
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.