Gabus Game Ranch
Lodges near Otavi - Namibia
Only 10km outside of the northern Namibian town of Otavi and at the foot of the Uiseb Mountains is the Gabus Game Ranch. Set on 7,000ha of private land, this destination represents the ideal stopover before continuing to either Etosha Park, the Zambezi Region (formerly the Caprivi Strip) or further north to Owamboland. Otavi is a small agricultural town and together with Tsumeb and Grootfontein, they are defined as an area known as the 'Otavi Triangle', also known as the Otavi Mountain land.
Apart from the geographical advantage of being close to so many of Namibia's tourist hotspots, the region around Gabus Game Farm offers a variety of game, hiking and excellent photographic opportunities. This appeals to individual travellers and families alike.
Meals can be taken in the main thatched building. A healthy breakfast is served in the restaurant or under the Lapa. Dinner consists of game meat, farm fresh vegetables and salads. Lunch can also be ordered. Vegetarians can be catered for on request. The swimming pool is not only the perfect retreat from the hot Namibian sunshine, but also offers superb views of the nearby waterhole which is illuminated by night, offering round the clock game viewing.
Accommodation is in a selection of 6 rooms. En-suite bathrooms, air-conditioning, twin beds, mosquito nets and a private verandah overlooking the floodlit waterhole are standard.
The activities at Gabus Game Ranch revolve around viewing wildlife & hiking.
- Game drives
- Morning or afternoon game drives are conducted by Heinz Kuehl. Wildlife includes eland, kudu, zebra, waterbuck, black-faced impala, black wildebeest and giraffe. Sightings of cheetah or leopard are possible, but not guaranteed.
- Horse-back riding
- Instead of the usual vehicle safari, why not try your hand at game viewing on horse back?
- Guided hiking/walking/trekking
- There are many plants and herbs en-route, as well as a good chance to see game crossing the tracks ahead. The strange impressions in the bizarre rock formations, the mystic world of a stalactite cave and ancient bushmen paintings make for an exciting and interesting day out by foot.
- Over 200 different species of bird have been recorded in and around Gabus Game Lodge. Hides close to various waterholes, offer superb photographic and birding opportunities.
- Visit the farm-owned museum and learn about local cultures and traditions.
Situated north-east of Grootfontein this serves as an gateway between the Caprivi and central Namibia
Around 80km north of Grootfontein this lodge acts as a gateway to Namibia's north east (the Kavango & Zambezi Region)
A satellite camp to Fiume Lodge, the Bush Camp requires a minimum two night stay and is the base for top quality guided excursions to visit a local Bushman / San community
Ten kilometers outside of Otavi this lodge offers a relaxing environment and is ideal for walkers, wildlife enthusiasts and birders
Initially a Christian mission station this property was converted into a lodge in 1999. The Ghaub caves nearby are well worth a visit
Horse riding, game and beautiful surroundings are just some of the reasons to stay at this lodge
A convenient stop close to Otavi
Large resort offering a restaurant, bar and olympic sized pool in Tsumeb
Situated near the center of Tsumeb this is a popular hotel.
A courtyard atmosphere, traditional garden and German cuisine can be found at this Tsumeb hotel.
Close encounters of the wild side - experience the Namibian veld on foot with Bruno, an enigmatic & knowledgeable guide
10 peaceful chalets provide accommodation at this lodge just north of Otavi
a campsite in a rural setting 80km north of Grootfontein on the main road towards Rundu & the Zambezi Region
Basic accommodation just a few kilometers from the town of Grootfontein
An eclectic lodge, allows for visits to a San community as well as offering reasonably priced overnight accommodation
Situated 20km west of Tsumeb
Between Otavi and Tsumeb.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.