Epupa Falls Lodge
Accommodation in Kaokoland - Namibia
Epupa Falls Lodge has been built amongst mopane bush, swaying makalani palm trees, baobab and fever trees which themselves are home to an abundance of birdlife and arboreal creatures. Although set on the banks of the Kunene River, the lodge does not affect the beauty of one of Kaokoland's most visited tourist landmarks. The prime location cannot be bettered, it is the closest accommodation to the Epupa Waterfall.
Access to the Epupa Falls, Namibia's most northern tourist destination, is best conducted in a self-drive 4x4 vehicle. Other attractions in Kaokoland include the Baines Mountains, Marienfluss Valley, the Kunene River and Ruacana Falls. Individual travellers, families and groups appreciate the stunning scenery and surroundings especially on arrival after days of bumping up and down on dusty roads.
The settlement at Epupa has a police station, a clinic, a small farm shop and modest Himba homesteads. The Himba ladies produce and sell curios at their stall close to the main viewpoint.
The focus of the lodge is a large living & dining area with restaurant & bar and sundowner deck overlooking Epupa Falls. While the accommodation is fairly rustic, it is comfortable and adequate. Wi-fi connection and the recharging of equipment can be done here.
Accommodation is in 5 rooms all built on stilts with under cover parking beneath (which stops falling makalani nuts denting your vehicle). The elevation ensures they are above flood water levels and every chalet affords fantastic river views, some closer to the water than others. Four rooms have twin beds and one has a double bed. An en-suite toilet and shower, mosquito nets, solar power and a large open window overlooking the falls are standard. Children sleep on stretchers.
- Over 240 species of bird have been recorded in the area including bee-eaters, African fish eagle, hornbills, kingfishers and the rare rufous-tailed palm thrush.
- Strolling along the river birding comes highly recommended. Crocs, monkey and locals at work complement your leisurely activity. For many this is the most enjoyable way to discover the going's on around Epupa and the falls. Alternatively some prefer the shade of a Makalani Palm Tree to relax or update journals.
- Sundowner Trip
- A late afternoon glass of wine on Sundowner Hill is highly recommended.
- Enjoy the singing and dancing of the local Himba people.
A tented camp on the banks of the Kunene River close to Epupa Falls and Himba settlements
A rustic option but closest situated to Epupa Falls, this site previously only provided campsites, but recently added rooms on stilts overlooking the river and falls
On the border between Kaokoland and Damaraland this fort was built at the same time as the fort of Namutoni in Etosha
On a hill above the Kunene river, the lodge has tremendous views of the surrounding area and looks towards the Epupa Falls
An excellent base from which to explore the Kaokoland area
n great lodge in a remote location on the banks of the Kunene River, for those interesting in birding, relaxing or river rafting this lodge is an absolute must. Undoubtedly one of our favourite out of the way lodges
A campsite near the village of Opuwo
One of the oldest lodges in the Kaokoland area, from here guest can visit Himba villages and other areas of interest in Kaokoland
Near the tiny settlement of Puros, this luxury lodge offers you the ability to search for the desert adapted elephants
On a hillside overlooking the Kunene River this small intimate camp offers accommodation for a maximum of 14 people.
A comfortable tented camp, on the banks of the Kunene River, close to the Epupa falls
On the outskirts of Opuwo with has beautiful views over Kaokoland -a real desert oasis
Up-market luxury safari camp in a spectacuar setting overlooking the Kunene River. A range of activities are included and a highlight is a visit to the local Himba community
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.