Epako Game Lodge
Lodges in central Namibia
Epako Safari Lodge is located in a 11,000ha private reserve, near the town of Omaruru in Namibia. Set in a beautiful mountainous region on the outskirts of the renowned Damaraland, it is conveniently placed midway between Windhoek, Swakopmund and the Etosha National Park. In 2013 the lodge was completely remodelled to a very high level of comfort and luxury, offering guests an exclusive and very upmarket wildlife destination.
Epako is a Herero word meaning 'the corner in a mountain range,' as the lodge nestles against a hillside overlooking the Epako River. It is surrounded by dense African bush and is home to a wide variety of mammals and birdlife which visit a number of nearby waterholes frequently. Therefore your wildlife and photographic opportunities are enhanced.
Amenities at Epako Safari Lodge include a dining room that overlooks a spotlit waterhole, bar and lounge with satellite TV, swimming pool, Internet facilities, tennis courts, souvenir shop, table-tennis and a small aviary. The large gardens are connected with walkways.
Meals can be served in either the inside or outside dining areas. Epakos' chefs will prepare a combination of Namibian and French cuisine, complemented with a range of specially selected South African wines. Special dietary requirements can be met on request.
The Conference Centre is separate from the main lodge, with spacious indoor and outdoor seating areas. Not only is it the perfect venue for conferences, but Epako can organize special events, such as weddings, business or private family functions.
Accommodation is in a combination of 10 rooms - all have en-suite bathrooms, air-conditioning, mini-bar, satellite TV system, mosquito nets, tea/coffee station, telephone and garden or bush views from your private terrace.
- Waterhole Suite: The enormous Waterhole Suite (200m2) comes with facilities similar to the other suites/rooms with the addition of a fully equipped bathroom, free standing bathtub and both separate indoor and outdoor shower. Stretch out on the king-size bed which sleeps 2 adults and relax outside in the private lounge which affords both waterhole and river views.
- River Suite: In addition to the amenities of the other rooms, the River Suite (150m2) is fitted with a king-sized bed for 2 adults. The bathroom has a separate shower, free standing bathtub and an outdoor shower. Unwind out-of-doors on the private lounge complete with river views.
- Loft Suite: The Loft Suite (95m2) is fitted with similar facilities to the other rooms with either a king-sized or 2 twin beds depending on your preference. Guests (max 2) who prefer a river view should stay here enjoyed from the comfort of a private outdoor terrace.
- Junior Suite: The Junior Suite (80m2) sleeps 2 adults and is equipped with a bathroom comprising of a free standing bathtub and separate shower and facilities that mirror the other suites. Overnight in either a king-sized or 2 twin beds. Appreciate the river views from private outdoor seating.
- Deluxe Room: Each of the 6 Deluxe Rooms (from 60 to 75m2) are fitted with the standard facilities of the other rooms, sleeping 2 adults on either 2 x twin beds or a king-sized bed. Every room has a fully equipped bathroom with separate shower, double washbasin and toilet. Step outside to a private outdoor seating area with either waterhole or river views.
Activities include morning and afternoon safari game drives, scheduled cheetah feeding, hiking trails, a visit to San paintings and engravings and information and trips to interesting geological formations. Sundowner drives with breathtaking views of Brandberg and Spitzkoppe, can also be organized on request.
Wildlife sightings at the lodge or on a game drive or hike can include cheetah, leopard, giraffe, elephant, rhino, zebra, springbok, blesbok, waterbuck, impala, warthog eland, oryx, kudu and wildebeest. The farm is also home to numerous bird species, such as the yellow billed hornbill and the colourful lilac breasted roller. At least 170 other varieties have been spotted in and around the lodge.
- Game Drives
- Guides specialising in game, birds, fauna and flora, geological formations lead you on a three hour game dive.
Morning: 8h00 or 8h30 - Enjoy the morning looking out for animals and visiting the vivid Bushman paintings and Engravings at the back of the farm.
Afternoon: 3h30 or 4h30 - Experience Cheetah and Caracal feeding, spot the white Rhinos, look for animals in the riverbed and finally enjoy a sundowner on one of Epako's mountains.
- Hiking Trails
- For guests staying a minimum of 2 nights get close to nature with a hiking trail on top of the mountains led by our well-trained Herero Field Guides. The walk is about 7 kilometres and well-worth it with fabulous views over the African bush and a brunch of top of the mountain. Bushman paintings & Engravings:
- Bushamn Art
- Epako Game Lodge is fortunate to have both Bushman paintings and Engravings within its boundaries. Based on other sites in the area, the age of the Engravings can be assumed to be between 800 and 3000 years old and the paintings to be at least 1000 years old. Learn more about the San (Bushmen).
- Interesting Rock Formations
- At various places at Epako the rocks have striped, snakelike and wavelike formations caused by geological action. The region is characterised by layers of harder and softer rock. Pressurised over time these layers have folded into interesting shapes, which when exposed to the atmosphere have eroded differentially forming these interesting patterns.
Nestled in a conservation area in the majestic Erongo Mountains this property contains a wide selection of rock art. Activities here center around rock art and various guided walking trails serve as a good introduction to Namibian rock art
A luxury lodge offering top notch rooms & facilities. Guided game drives and bush walks allow guests to thoroughly explore the area.
One of our favourite lodges in Namibia - excellent accommodation, food and guided walks in beautiful surroundings make for an enjoyable and relaxing stay.
A variety of activities are on offer at this lodge near Karibib. Accommodation ranges from camping and self-catering options to private bungalows
Situated at the foot of the Hohenstein mountain, this lodge offers many hiking and climbing opportunities. It is also well situated to visit the Spitzkoppe Mountain
A charming lodge in the town of Omaruru. With all the facilities you may require including a popular restaurant & bar
Around 30km east of Omaruru this pretty little guest farms offers self catering units in a tranquil and pleasant environment
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.