Eningu Clayhouse Lodge
Accommodation in the Kalahari Desert - Namibia
Situated only 65kms from Hosea Kutako International Airport and 110kms from Namibia's capital city Windhoek, Eningu Clayhouse Lodge, is an ideal destination to both start and end your trip to the country, a choice favoured by many self-drive tourists.
Eningu Clayhouse has been constructed using 120,000 handmade adobe bricks made from clay, from the farm. The colour of these buildings, integrates the lodge perfectly with the surrounding red sand of the Kalahari Desert, and the unusual decoration, artworks and sculptures, hand painted floors and antique furniture throughout, make a stay at this lodge a liberating experience.
The large, refreshing swimming pool, complete with umbrellas and chaise-lounge's, is an ideal spot to relax and enjoy the beautiful Namibian sunshine. There is also a heated whirl pool, (jacuzzi) so inviting on those cold, starlit winter nights. The curio shop is worth a visit, especially for some last minute souvenirs.
Many guests enjoy a sundowner and the spectacular sunsets from the roof terrace, not to mention stargazing on those crystal clear nights, with their computerized, high-tech telescope.
Meals are served in the open verandah, in the warm summer evenings, and inside the heated restaurant on the cooler, winter nights. Their award winning chef is waiting to pamper his guests, with a superb choice of light, nutritious and very creative meals, including delicious home made bread, smoked meats and fresh produce from the garden.
The fine dining can include such mouthwatering dishes as Cameroon Sutra, a chicken breast fillet, in a peanut crust, Springbok medallions with port wine butter, fried 'mandumbie' roots and seasonal vegetables, all topped off with a chilled espresso-mousse!
Travel stories can be discussed over a glass of wine, chosen from their extensive list of around 1000 bottles of South African wines, just waiting to be ordered from their very our wine cellar, enjoyed in the relaxing comfort of their cozy cigar bar, or tranquility of the library.
Eningu Clayhouse Lodge has a total of 8 well-equipped, comfortable rooms. En-suite bathrooms, a ceiling fan, (for the hot nights) a heater, (for the cold ones), mosquito nets and a sitting corner with desk are standard in each room. Step outside under the thatched patio to enjoy spectacular Namibian sunsets and night sounds. Occupy either a:
- Double room: There are 2 double rooms, each with a double bed.
- Triple Room: 5 rooms with 3 single beds in each.
- Family Room: The family room has 4 single beds.
Activities include a wander along well-marked hiking trails, and a visit to the hide at the water hole, to watch the abundant bird life and the evening porcupine feeds. Springbok, kudu, oryx, duiker, hartebeest, wildebeest, warthog, suricate and cheetah are common visitors to the area. Nocturnal animals such as leopard, aardvark, African wild cat, bat-eared fox and porcupine can also be seen.
Their botanical hiking trail will lead you through different zones of vegetation, with explanatory information boards, to a hut on mountain for a wonderful picnic lunch and sweeping views over the Kalahari.
The more active might like to try a shot at archery, volleyball or badminton.
- There are a number of well-marked hiking trails to experience the obvious and not so obvious bush savannah activity.
- Botanical hiking trail
- A longer hike (approx 6hrs) will take you through a variety of vegetation zones. There are numerous explanatory information boards en-route to a mountain hut. Tuck into a picnic lunch on arrival whilst enjoying the striking Kalahari Desert views.
- Conceal yourself close to a waterhole and observe many unsuspecting species of birdlife. In the evening the porcupines come to drink.
- Not as easy as it appears. Ideal for beginners and promising archers.
- Volleyball and badminton
- These activities can be organized at the drop of a hat. Fun for all the family, individual or team competition.
- From the International Airport
- Turn left when leaving the airport (Hosea Kutako) onto the B6 - after 3km turn right onto M51 towards Nina (big Eningu sign board) - proceed 64km then turn right into 1471 (big Eningu sign board) - drive 1km then turn left into farm gate - keep going 5km to the lodge.
- From Rehoboth
- Turn right onto C25 drive 11km - turn left into 1232 for 1km - turn right into 1228 drive 49km - at T-junction turn left into C15/M33 and drive 32km - in "Dordabis" turn right to get out of town - at the T-junction turn right into C23 and drive 7km -turn left into 1482 ( small Eningu sign board) drive 34km - at T-junction turn left (small Eningu sign) into 1471 for 1km drive over cattle grid and turn right into farm gate - keep going 5km to lodge.
- From Mariental
- Turn right into C20 and drive 12km - turn left into 1268 drive 66km - at T-junction turn right into C21 and drive 10km- at "Hoachanas" turn left into C15/M33 drive 23km to "Uhlenhorst" - after this town turn right and proceed on C15/M33 to "Dordabis" for 99km - then drive as above.
- From Gobabis and Botswana
- From the B6 turn left into 1808 (huge Arnhem cave sign) drive 44km - turn right into 1506 drive 11km - at T-junction turn right into M51 drive 6km - turn left into 1471 drive 1km - turn left into farm gate - keep going 5 km to the lodge.
The Arnhem Caves are the largest in Namibia, this simple rest camp allows guests to explore these caves
Built from locally made red Kalahari clay bricks this is a wonderful lodge. Expect good food, stunning Kalahari sunsets and a warm welcome
An ideal stop over in the Kalahari en-route between Botswana and central Namibia
Hans and Claudia run an excellent guest farm - activities include game drives, learning about (and eating) local sheep, the art centre and carpet weaving. We think this is one of the best guest farms in Namibia
Offers a variety of accommodation styles from guest houses to a tented camp.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.