Okahandja Area - Namibia
The Elegant Farmstead combines an old farmstead atmosphere from the outside, with a modern and stylish finish inside. The original name of the farm was 'Otjisazu' (red oxen), derived from the red cattle of an old Herero man who used to live here. It is also the site of an historic mission station and some of the rooms in the main building remain from the original plans.
This beautifully refurbished lodge is situated north of Windhoek, the turn off is just before the town of Okahandja. Attentive service and guest satisfaction rate highly on the owners agenda. The farmstead is 26km (approximately 40mins drive) along the gravel road towards the Von Bach Dam. It offers privacy and seclusion on your stopover whether it be at the start or end of your stay in Namibia. Many guests also use it as a weekend retreat to get away from the hustle and bustle from Windhoek city life.
Amenities include a restaurant, swimming pool, laundry service, guest lounge and secure parking. There is an wireless Internet connection in the main building, cellphone coverage, along with a tea/coffee facility in the guest lounge. Valuables can be secured in the safe in reception.
Delicious meals are served in the Lapa or thatched dining room. Expect a choice of a continental or a cooked English breakfast, light lunches and a 3-course dinner. Smokers will enjoy the cigar lounge and a bottle or two from the wine cellar will complement your evening meal.
Wildlife enthusiasts need not venture too far to observe the wide variety of game. An elevated viewing deck affords great views of the floodlit waterhole, which doubles-up as an outside dining area. The fire-pit offers an alternative venue in the evening, an ideal time to meet other guests and exchange travel stories and plans, whilst tucking in to their after-dinner cheese and biltong platter.
The farming days of yesteryear are never too far away at The Elegant Farmstead. Sheep, goats, chicken and ducks wander around freely and the vegetable garden supplies fresh produce to the kitchen.
Accommodation is in 11 tastefully furnished rooms, each with an en-suite bathroom and air-conditioning. All of the rooms are non-smoking. Add extra beds for an additional person sharing or children.
- Game Drives
- A Game Drive on a part of the farm area with a wide variety of game to be seen including Kudu, Hartebeest, Blesbuck, Duiker, Steenbuck, Wart-hog, Ostrich and jackal.
- Cultural Tours
- Visit the Herero graves and cemeteries, many of them national monuments, in Okahandja and the Herero village of Ovitoto.
- Unguided walks along the dry river beds are a great way to stretch your legs and spot some game and birds on your way to Signal Mountain.
- Horse riding
- guide riding trips around the historical "Signal Mountain".
- Wood-carvers market:
- There are 2 wood-carvers markets in Okahandja, operating on a co-operative basis.
- Sundowner drives:
- Snacks and drinks provided as the glorious sun sets.
On an old mission station south of Okahandja, the farm Otjisazu is full of historical interest
Situated some distance west of Okahandja the natural hot spring has been tapped and is used to full both an indoor and outdoor pool
A tranquil garden & African decor give this country hotel laid back, relaxed feeling. Situated on the outskirts of the town of Okahandja
A game farm which offers a 'boutique camping experience' with accommodation in air-conditioned permanently erected tents
Situated on farmland west of Okahandja, Oropoko has a well stocked game park
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.