Duwisib Guest Farm
Duwisib Guest Farm offers affordable self-catering units and quality double rooms in a charming and historic setting. The overnight accommodation is ideal for couples, families and small groups. You will stay in the main outbuilding of Duwisib Castle, which has been restored and converted by the owners. Both the farm and adjoining castle nestle in a stunning, lush desert valley that offer superb views and spectacular sunsets.
As the guest farm is 80km south-west of Maltahohe and 100km north-west of Helmeringhausen, it offers the perfect stopover to visit the stunning dunes at Sossusvlei (175km south-east of Sesriem Gate). This area also provides a great stop-over for those on a self drive tour between the dunes and the attractions of southern Namibia, such as Fish River Canyon and Luderitz.
The main attraction in the area is Duwisib Castle itself, just a short walking distance away. It is of some interest (not a destination) and is open to day visitors as well. A national monument, the castle was built by Baron von Wolf for his American wife and was completed in 1909. It is made from red sandstone complete with corner turrets and battlements. Most of the furniture and fittings were shipped from Germany to Luderitz and then on to Duwisib by ox-wagon. Artworks and original furnishings can be viewed today in the museum.
Savour tasty home cooking in peaceful surroundings in the guest farm. Day visitors can also enjoy refreshments in the coffee shop. Their well-known apple pie is a specialty. Tame ostriches venture close by as you chill and relax at Duwisib Guest Farm.
There is a variety of accommodation all with 220v power supply. Guests stay in:
- Castle View Rooms: Single, double or triple rooms with an en-suite bathroom and private verandah.
- Family House: A self-catering unit ideal for families or small groups of 4 to 8 people. It has 2, 3 and 4 double rooms with 3 en-suite and 1 private bathroom (bedding and towels provided). Relax and unwind in the lounge. Meals can be eaten in your private dining room. There is also a small kitchen with a bar fridge, crockery, cutlery and a gas cooker. A braai is located outside. Alternatively you can eat in the main area.
- Springbok Bungalow: A cosy unit for individual travellers and couples who wish to self-cater. It is equipped with twin beds and an en-suite bathroom. Bedding and towels are provided. The small kitchen has crockery,cutlery and a gas cooker. Outside is a private verandah and braai facilities. Meals can also be ordered separately.
Nature drives around the surrounding environment can be arranged. There is a decent variety of flora and fauna in the area.: Afrikaans, German and English are spoken.
Please note this is not the same establishment as Duwisib Castle (owned and operated by NWR). Duwisib Guest Farm is located on an adjoining property and offers a more personal, owner run experience.
- Nature Drives
- Nature drives around the area can be arranged
- Visit Duwisib Castle
- The Castle is open for day visitors
A working farm in southern Namibia. Offers an insight into sheep farming is this arid region
The completely off his rocker 'Baron' von Wolf built this castle in the middle of nowhere. Rumours abound about this gun toting, cross dressing loon! Accommodation is available within the castle and a well shaded campsite is also on offer
This lovely guest farm offers self catering accommodation on a property adjacent to the Duwisib Castle
The settlement of Helmeringhausen consists of little more than this hotel and a petrol station. The area is a popular stop-off between the dunes at Sossusvlei and southern Namibia
On the scenic D707 road and bordering on the Namib Naukluft park, lies this spectacular property. Accommodation is offered in a small tented camp or en-suite rooms at the old farmhouse
Formerly an Ostrich farm the lodge property is now largely dedicated to Namibian wildlife. The lodge itself offers standard bed & breakfast rooms as well as self catering chalets
Situated in the Tiras mountains, an owner run guest farm that offers a warm welcome and even better scenery
A small reasonably priced guest farm - geologists are sure to enjoy the abandoned copper mine
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.