Desert Homestead Outpost
Lodges near Sossusvlei - Namibia
Desert Homestead Outpost is located in the same 7,000ha nature reserve as the popular and well established Desert Homestead Lodge. It is set at the base of a mountain looking out to a vast grassland valley with stunning views of the Naukluft Mountains and rocky desert landscapes. This is a good base for trips to the dunes of Sossusvlei (90km) and to Sesriem Canyon (30km).
Sossusvlei is a distinct vlei (pan) which is located at the end point of the ephemeral Tsauchab River. Surrounding this feature are a collection of dunes with other vleis situated nearby. From the top of the highest dune you have excellent views of Naravlei, Cessna Pan and the rocky ridges of Witberg. To the south sits one of the region's most notable landmarks Deadvlei, with its white floor and much-photographed dead camelthorn trees.
The main house at the Desert Homestead Outpost has a restaurant and bar & guests can relax and unwind on the viewing deck or at the shaded areas around the swimming pool. Facilities include a safety deposit box at reception and a laundry service. There is also mobile phone connectivity at Desert Homestead Outpost.
Various accommodation options are available at the Outpost:
- Rooms: There are 11 well-appointed rooms each with en-suite bathroom with shower and twin basins, luxury 4-poster twin/double beds with fitted mosquito nets, ceiling fan, writing desk and chair and a private shaded sun deck with director chair seating affording great views of the impressive surrounding plains and mountains.
- Family apartment: This unit sleeps a family of 4. It has similar facilities to the rooms with its excellent panoramic views of endless grasslands and distant mountains.
Whether you are interested in a trip by foot or by horseback or from the air, Desert Homestead Outpost can organize your desert adventure. Guests are welcome to take advantage of all the activities offered by Desert Homestead Lodge as well.
- Namib Mountain Trail:
- This is a guided hike which starts at Desert Homestead Lodge and crosses mountains, canyons before enjoying a sunrise over the red Namib dunes. Follow a dry river course through a savannah before following ancient animal trails up a small mountain. Desert Homestead Outpost and refreshments await after your descent.
- Horse trails:
- Guided rides are conducted from Desert Homestead Lodge in the early morning and in the late afternoon. Longer horse riding safaris of a couple of days must be booked at least a week in advance. Beginners to experienced riders are welcome on all excursions.
- Guests can stretch their legs in the cool of the morning by jogging around a 'level and well-marked 10km track'.
Drift over the dune fields at Sossusvlei and enjoy a champagne breakfast wherever the wind takes you
light aircraft regularly depart on scenic flights over Sossusvlei and its surroundings
Lovely rooms with rooftop terraces or a choice of campsites around 45km north of Sesriem
Budget choice, catering for both larger groups and individual travellers
Competitively priced self catering lodge - very close to the entrance to the Namib Naukluft Park
Mid-range accommodation offering some of the best value for money in the area. Horse riding an added activity
A new addition on the same property as the Desert Homestead. Hiking & riding are popular activities here
Well equipped rooms with self catering kitchens only 5 kilometers from the entrance gate to Sossusvlei. Kitchen utensils can be rented on site
These rustic wooden cabins can only be reached as part of a guided walking trail originating at Namib Desert Lodge. perfect for those wanting to explore the desert on foot
A small intimate lodge in an amazing part of the Namib Desert. While the lodge can be used as a base from which to visit the dunes at Sossusvlei, the tranquil and beautiful environment make it a destination in it's own right
Mid range lodge located only 22km from the Sesriem gate to the Namib-Naukluft Park
Up-market lodge with private entrance to the dunes at Sossusvlei
Moroccan inspired architecture seems strangely out of place in Namibia. The location, spa and general amenities are good.
Luxury lodge with guided tour to the dunes using the lodges own private entrance, excellent choice for those looking for a little extra luxury
Reasonable value for money - on the main route to Sossusvlei
A new hotel with raised rooms built on wooden platforms 40km from Sesriem
Budget choice, fairly far from the dunes and next to the fossil dune cliffs
Good solid choice, on a beautiful property some distance from the park entrance
This campsite offer the closest place to stay to the dunes - camping only
A combination of permanent structures and canvas make this an interesting choice for the budget conscious traveller
The only lodge inside the borders of the national park. Allows for extra early visits to the Sossusvlei dunes
Most luxurious lodge in the area, air-conditioned rooms and top of the range guiding
Large establishment right next to the Sesriem Campsite, best for keeping driving to a minimum
A friendly owner run lodge offering excellent value for money. Rooms have private veranda's offering views of sunsets over the Namib Desert dunes & spot-lit waterhole.
To make the booking process as user friendly as possible we offer 2 ways to make a booking from this website:
- The book or enquire button allows you to add multiple properties to an enquiry & in conjunction with the interactive online Namibia map it can be used to plan and book your entire Namibian trip. Once added to the shopping cart / itinerary planner properties which have online availability can be paid for and booked immediately while those without online functionality will be sent to us for processing.
- Use email us to send an old fashioned email enquiry.